• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Self-Filming

ohiohunter_11

For all of you self-filmers out there I have a question. I am looking to get into self filming out of my saddle. I feel like it would be fun and I will be able to relive a lot of good memories. That being said I can’t film anything without a camera. Any recommendations on a good camera for this? Preferably a Camcorder. If you have some good suggestions. Let me know, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Bigterp I do....but possibly traded for swaro z3 scope, zeiss scope, and few rifles or pistols.

To the OP, that's a broad subject and a deep rabbit hole. My advice as a blue collar no name or public appearance wanting kind of person decide your money limit.

I've got a canon g40 and I believe that's about as bottom line "tv quality" camera you can get. It's got more gadgets and gizmos on it than I can ever tell you about but it makes good video. Killer turkey content!!! It's easy to learn and pretty user friendly but not exactly easiest on the pocket book. There are a few other smaller cams that I dont think offer all the fancy options but still take rather decent footage. I can't really tell you about much other than canon... I'll help what I can but again I'm a nobody not looking to be anybody and dont care to be a nobody in the video world but do it just to appeal to my own hunts and friends i hunt with. Is probably several others around who are better equipped to answer this well beyond my pay grade and no-staff position.

Just remember lugging that extra camera and arm with your other stuff is a very cumbersome deal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I use the canon Vixia G30 and love it. I have yet to rig it out with a good shotgun mic and things but it record great footage and easy to use.

It really depends on your budget. Make sure to get one with a Lanc port or a remote port so that your can put a remote on it. That way you could control the whole camera with the remote during the hunt. It will really help you out with the zoom and everything.

It’s a lot of fun but it does have a learning curve. So do not be upset if it takes awhile to fully learn the ropes with this.

The main thing with hunting is to enjoy it and the outdoors. If you try it and get into it and it makes you not enjoy the outdoors, it is also okay to not film anymore. Just don’t forget to enjoy the hunt.

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking in to the canon vixia camcorders g50,g40 and the g30. Trying to wait for a used one if the right deal comes by but if not I will put money away and have a new one by next fall.

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking in to the canon vixia camcorders g50,g40 and the g30. Trying to wait for a used one if the right deal comes by but if not I will put money away and have a new one by next fall.

Definitely practice with setting it up before you hunt and figure out your system.

In self filming, you really have to lead and setup your shots. So you may have to stop recording the buck of doe to get in front of it to get ready for the shot. It will take getting use too. You will enjoy the process. It’s great when things all come together and you get it all on film. It’s actually helped me out so I knew exactly where my arrow hit.

Also look into the Sony AX100 or 700. I have used the G30 and 40 and now use the Sony AX700 and the picture quality is a lot better.

I've been using the predecessor to the Panasonic HC-V380K for a few years now. Relatively small, lightweight and it has the ability to wifi connect with your phone. The app for it not only provides remote camera function control but also allows you to see what your filming on the phone screen. I've been really happy with it.

My advice would be to look for a prosumer camera as opposed to a newer “beginner” camera. Prosumer cameras will have larger sensors and therefore will be better in low light. And they will also have features like “zebra lines” or “blinkies” which help you quickly get the animal in focus and properly exposed. If you are planning to use autofocus, you will be disappointed with your results because your camera is going to focus on tree branches a lot and not on the animal. Also the prosumer cameras you can use a varizoom remote and a monitor which make filming the hunt while also trying to kill the animal simultaneously so so so much easier! Also don’t pay attention to advertised “zoom” because it is marketing BS that doesn’t actually mean anything and it’s meant to trick new camera buyers to sell more cameras; to know how much your camera is going to “zoom in” on an animal you need to do some calculations with the focal length ranges.

I know the typical advise is to get a very basic setup as a beginner, but I think a lot of people that do that end up frustrated because self-filming is hard enough to begin with, you don’t need your gear to make it even harder than it already is. Alot of the camera recommendations made so far look good to me, and there are some other cameras that will also be good and you can get a steal of a deal if you know what you are looking for. Cameras lose their value fast so you can get a really solid camera from a few years ago that is actually going to perform much better than a new “basic” model, and the price difference won’t be that much. It will make your experience much more enjoyable if you have some of those “prosumer features” to make it easier to film in the heat of the moment when you are trying to make a kill at the same time.

PM me if any of my advice doesn’t make sense, I was totally overwhelmed when I first started and I ended up spending more money than if I would’ve gotten the right gear to begin with. I also do wildlife photography and have multiple cameras and lenses for that, so I love talking cameras and I’m happy to help anyone looking to get into it.

I have a G30 as several other do. It’s a really good camera, but my advice would be to definitely get a camera with a LANC port so you can plug in a Varizoom.

Im looking to get into self filming as well. Played around with just a gopro the last few seasons but the fish eye and no zoom makes it difficult. Ive noticed a lot of people lean towards video cameras for ease of use... Id also like something to take pictures with... anyone using a mirrorless camera that doesnt break the bank? And are you able to control them with a lanc type controller?

You can take pics with the G30. Not sure about doing it from the lanc remote though.

Just remember its a pain carrying in all that gear every hunt, especially if your not seeing any deer. BUT when you get it on film like the 8pt. above theres nothing better.

You can sometimes buy refurbished camcorders from the cannon site. I bought my hfg30 that way for half the new cost complete with a 1yr warranty. When it came you couldn't tell it wasn't brand new.

Back