• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Setting up on the weak side

Peterk1234

I preset a leaner today. It overlooks a big run. I could set up on the high side, which would be preferred because it would allow me to move enough to use the tree as cover. However, it will require me to shoot on my weak side. Option two is to set up on low side. Perfect position for shooting strong side, but I cannot creep behind the tree without a lot of grabbing and movement. Which one would you guys go for? I am 20 yards from the run. There is some cover for now, but leaves will be falling soon. I am about 24 feet up. Pete

I would set up on use high side for comfort reasons. And if I needed to swing into place to the low side I could. I have set up on a low side of a leaner and it’s tiring, very hard to move cause you need to use hands, legs it’s just awkward. I know You already preset it but maybe there is a tree that’s better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a bad setup if the tree isn't huge. Gravity will want to pull you clockwise around the tree, should be an easy swing in advance of deer hitting your lane. You'd be shooting around the 12oclock side of the tree. I've set them up this way. Tough on big trees, but under 18-20" diameter should be pretty doable.

Another option is to anchor your tether on the high side(6oclock), but let gravity/your main platform situate you at 9 oclock. Don't plan on climbing to the high side easily - but from the way it sounds, you have no shot there anyway.

Last edited:
I preset a leaner today. It overlooks a big run. I could set up on the high side, which would be preferred because it would allow me to move enough to use the tree as cover. However, it will require me to shoot on my weak side. Option two is to set up on low side. Perfect position for shooting strong side, but I cannot creep behind the tree without a lot of grabbing and movement. Which one would you guys go for? I am 20 yards from the run. There is some cover for now, but leaves will be falling soon. I am about 24 feet up. Pete

exactly why I use a platform.

What are you standing on?
I don't shoot as well to my weak side when I'm on a ring of steps but I shoot the weak side fine off my Predator. Weak side shots don't seem to be an issue from a platform.

I would setup whichever way allows you to make a shot with minimal movement and noise. This would probably be the most comfortable too.

I would setup on around a 30 degree angle to the left of the high side. You can still have the advantages of setting up on the high side but should now be able to have enough tether to work around your strong side to shoot to your weak side. This is all relative to an individual tree and its size so it may or may not work. Another option is to setup 30 degrees towards the weak side to make your turn to the weakside much easier, like you are turning to shoot behind you.

I have set up on the low side of a leaner when I have branches I can use, preferably for my feet but also my hands. If you can position yourself so that when you see something coming you can put a foot or hand on a branch to easily move behind the tree and then slowly lower yourself for the shot, that can work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, I just put myself in your exact scenario in the yard. This particular tree has a branch right at head height coming off the tree at 9oclock. I kind of figured this out by accident. I wanted to shoot around to weak side on back side of the tree, so I had to sit down and lean my left hip against the 9oclock side of the tree. It worked so well I started over from a sitting position, and basically end up with left foot on left front edge of platform, right foot pushing against back left corner of platform. Tree is about 16-18" in diameter and I can shoot from 12 oclock to 3oclock easily in this position. You may not necessarily have to be standing/leaning to make your move!

Also, I just put myself in your exact scenario in the yard. This particular tree has a branch right at head height coming off the tree at 9oclock. I kind of figured this out by accident. I wanted to shoot around to weak side on back side of the tree, so I had to sit down and lean my left hip against the 9oclock side of the tree. It worked so well I started over from a sitting position, and basically end up with left foot on left front edge of platform, right foot pushing against back left corner of platform. Tree is about 16-18" in diameter and I can shoot from 12 oclock to 3oclock easily in this position. You may not necessarily have to be standing/leaning to make your move!

Haha, I was pretending to do some weak side shots while up in this tree, and I ended up doing the same thing. Putting my hip against tree really seemed comfortable. I only had my LB belt though, so not a real hang. I am fairly comfortable shooting weak side, but I think I may practice this position a bit more, just in case. This is a good looking spot.

@redsquirrel I think I know what you mean. Tree is only 12 inches or so in diameter so I have plenty of tether to play with. I think I can set up left of the high side, it all comes down to where I position my girth hitch, right??? While tree angle plays a large role on comfort and movement, I am finding that location of the hitch kind of decides where you can comfortably hang in a "neutral" position. I am sure I will get a better understanding of this during the season as I actually will be set up for real hunting situations. Pete

@redsquirrel I think I know what you mean. Tree is only 12 inches or so in diameter so I have plenty of tether to play with. I think I can set up left of the high side, it all comes down to where I position my girth hitch, right??? While tree angle plays a large role on comfort and movement, I am finding that location of the hitch kind of decides where you can comfortably hang in a "neutral" position. I am sure I will get a better understanding of this during the season as I actually will be set up for real hunting situations. Pete
Yes. You can fool with some of your "settings" until you figure out what works. On a tree that is only 12 inches you should be able to move around to your weak side from your strong side (think of it as rotating 270 degrees clockwise to shoot at your 3:00 position) pretty easily. In that case I would probably set up from the high side and practice that move. You are right about the girth hitch. If you put it exactly on the high side and still hang a little to the left side it will be more comfortable than if you set it at the 30 degrees to the left and try to hang.

Back