• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Several Issues with JX3 , Rappel/tether and ROS

Aeds151

befd50c6721d97350eab835918277e20.jpg

This has been one of many ongoing issues for me and I really need to take care of it as it messed up a 3rd hunt now. I am using a jx3 with rappel rope/safeguard/triangle as my tether with a ROS. How I currently have my tether configured, it causes a pendulum that wants to swing me back after only going around tree about 1/4 or when i get to side of tree. I can shoot maybe 60° to my left. I have attached pic of tether that forcefully swings me back to original position and doesnt allow for a shot to my right side. The tether is placed above my head at standing and the safeguard is adjusted where as my knees are 90° with feet flat on steps. I have tried this with a lwhc below ros and transferred to lwhc to be even lower. Still the same. How many mistakes made in my tether tying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hung my tether on a straight tree from chest height to as high above platform as I can reach. I’ve always been able to overcome the pull to shoot or do what I need to do. Never been a problem on a straight tree.

On a leaner, you may have to offset the girth hitch to overcome gravity.

On really big trees you will lose some mobility.

If you’re having an issue with being able to overcome any force on tether attempting to return it straight down, and you’re in an average size straight tree, something is off. Pictures of the entire setup, you included, or a quick video would help.

I might set up a vid in back yard this afternoon. Looking at pic, maybe when i go to right of the tree, the rope is bending slightly where it meets the screw gate on the triangle causing the rope to “S”.

Two things I would change from the picture: 1st I would turn the quick link gate up instead of down, I’ve seen those get so tight on the rappel down that it takes pliers to get them loose. 2nd I would rather have my quick link knot right up against the link with no loop, I like the scaffold knot. Not sure that will fix your problem but it might help. Good luck and God Bless

Two things I would change from the picture: 1st I would turn the quick link gate up instead of down, I’ve seen those get so tight on the rappel down that it takes pliers to get them loose. 2nd I would rather have my quick link knot right up against the link with no loop, I like the scaffold knot. Not sure that will fix your problem but it might help. Good luck and God Bless

Thank you sir. My last rappel rope was looped tight in the corner of triangle. It always seem to slide with use so I didnt bother to try it again. I do have new rappel rope that is more supple so I will give your advice there another go and switch gate lock.
Edit to add: should the gate lock be against tree or away?

Other issue now is the sternum strap popping off the “guide rail” on right shoulder strap while under load. It comes off easier than it snaps back on.

I like and use the scaffold knot too, but make sure you tie it properly. Done wrong, it can slip. There are videos that explain the knot done the correct way and the wrong way. Both look the same, but one is catastrophic.

I mostly climb straight, none limb trees because I dont like any method getting around them. All noisy and cumbersome. The scaffold knot seems to work better keeping the triangle orientated correctly. Still cant shoot out of the jx3. Not enough room while sitting between recliner straps and the pioneer steps on my OCB ROS just roll side ways while trying to walk them. It was a mess. With this weather comin, its too close to crunch to time to try and force all this gear to work or go back to a soft saddle and be gaumed up for weeks. I know it will be too noisy swinging around too. Caribiners vs bridge material equal squeeks, rubs and pops. I got the titan SD rdy to go for rut. Im noticing all the old school saddlehunter.com guys just sitting on the ground now haha. Kinda says something about all this.

I mostly climb straight, none limb trees because I dont like any method getting around them. All noisy and cumbersome. The scaffold knot seems to work better keeping the triangle orientated correctly. Still cant shoot out of the jx3. Not enough room while sitting between recliner straps and the pioneer steps on my OCB ROS just roll side ways while trying to walk them. It was a mess. With this weather comin, its too close to crunch to time to try and force all this gear to work or go back to a soft saddle and be gaumed up for weeks. I know it will be too noisy swinging around too. Caribiners vs bridge material equal squeeks, rubs and pops. I got the titan SD rdy to go for rut. Im noticing all the old school saddlehunter.com guys just sitting on the ground now haha. Kinda says something about all this.

Not at all.

Different tools for different applications.

Age and experience says it all

That's why I said that. We learn to use different tactics and tools the longer we do this.

The "older school" you get, the less you gravitate towards trees......but that's cover related. You figure out how to work it.

We still climb though.

That's why I said that. We learn to use different tactics and tools the longer we do this.

The "older school" you get, the less you gravitate towards trees......but that's cover related. You figure out how to work it.

We still climb though.

Probably more gear and having to deal with it all related but what do I know

Back