• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing Machine Attachments & Tools

4090Sharps

SH Member
Since fall hunting seasons are winding down, and many are turning to offseason projects, I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a thread dedicated to sharing sewing machine attachments and tools that we've found handy in our gear making. Plus, we're pretty much all gear junkies here, so why not?!

To start it off, I just set up my Consew 332R (by way of @Western VA Hunter) with a couple swappable slide covers. I drilled and tapped each for binders I had on hand (3/4" straight and 1" right angle), set up each binder, and now can swap them out in just a couple seconds. The right angle binder is a little further from the presser foot than I would like, due to the length of foot and interference from the mounting bracket, but it gets the job done. It also has a wider throat to accommodate heavy materials and zippers, whereas the straight binder has a relatively narrow throat.
plates.jpg

Example of 3/4" binding
tracks.jpg

Over the summer I bought a large lot of sewing machine parts, and everyone now and then I'll find something new in the mix that I hadn't noticed before. This week I found this cool presser foot made to attach a 1/4" rolled hem to a second piece of fabric. The stitching is a bit close to the edge of the fabric, but I could see this specific foot being useful for connecting panels on a light jacket. A similar foot with the stitching moved inward would be great for joining pack panels.
presserfoot.jpg

I have a felled seam folder that I have yet to set up, but I'll share pictures of it later on. In the meantime, let's see what you're using on your machines!

Well, I don't have my felled seam folder set up yet, but I couldn't help but to try it out. Three factors affecting the quality you see here:
- the screw holding the folder in place is just floating in a hole to roughly hold it in place and keep it from crashing into the needles
- this is a 1/4" folder and I'm using 3/16" spaced needles
- I didn't adjust tension for the material

But even with those confounding factors, this turned out alright. I had only planned on putting this to work on some silnylon tarps/tents, but now I'm thinking this would be great for saddle panels and pack construction.... I'm using it on my Consew 332R here, but I may set up my Singer 112W140 (1/4" gauge) for felled seam work.

felled1.jpg
felled2.jpg

I used this to roll the edge twice to seal the fabric edges. No extra binding necessary.

That's what I opt for when dealing with a single layer as well. I personally like the look and extra durability binding provides for multiple layers (assuming one is using a stitch then bind approach).

That's what I opt for when dealing with a single layer as well. I personally like the look and extra durability binding provides for multiple layers (assuming one is using a stitch then bind approach).
Do you sew the fabric edges together then apply the binding or do it all at once?

Do you sew the fabric edges together then apply the binding or do it all at once?

Sew together, then apply binding. Gives me a peace of mind for durability, and makes it easier to line everything up perfectly. I've played around with doing it all at once, and it generally works fine though.

I made a mounting bracket for the felled seam folder, and it's working really nicely. For those interested, here is a link to the folder:

Attachments

• felledseam.jpg
    felledseam.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 43
Has anyone played around with an integrated / direct drive servo motor yet? Not one of those fancy ones like the Juki DDL 9000C has onboard, but like this?

I made a mounting bracket for the felled seam folder, and it's working really nicely. For those interested, here is a link to the folder:
Would the folder work with a single needle machine? You would just have to go back and add the second stitch, or am I completely off in my thinking?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Would the folder work with a single needle machine? You would just have to go back and add the second stitch, or am I completely off in my thinking?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

That would work fine. Your only obstacle to overcome would be a mounting solution.

Has anyone played around with an integrated / direct drive servo motor yet? Not one of those fancy ones like the Juki DDL 9000C has onboard, but like this?

Thinking to myself here... With just a little bit of creativity making a small base and using one of these motors, one could make a space-saver or portable industrial sewing machine. The bobbin winder is even built in..... Saddlepalooza 2022 could have some serious prototyping going on if guys were so inclined.

This is a more expensive ad for apparently the same product, but it has better pictures of what is included. Since it mounts to the end of the drive shaft with a collet, you only have to worry about the diameter of the drive shaft instead of the thread pitch (like with a standard needle positioner). The LED light appears to have a power switch for the light, and a thumb press needle actuator, for when you want to sew stitch by stitch.

I ordered one from the first link, and am going to see if I can set up the 750W motor on my Juki 1541S (17mm drive shaft). I'm concerned the light may interfere with my drop down edge guide, but it may be a non-issue. If this works out the way I'd like it to, I'll continue using the integrated bobbin winder on my machine for M-style bobbins, and the motor mount winder for G-style bobbins. That way I won't have to deal with any table mounted winders at all.

When the motor arrives I'll report back with my results. I'm worried the seller won't include the correct collet since it's only specified in an order comment, and also that the mounting plate won't line up properly on my machine. We'll see!

s-l1600.jpg

I thought about trying a direct drive but in the end I went with a 750w brushless servo and a 2 inch pulley. Slowed my 1508 down to a slow crawl when needed with tons of torque. Was looking into a reducer but it’s not needed now.

My solution to the portable industrial. I later made a corral that my industrial and my domestic machines fit into as shown in the second video. Now I don't have to sew outside on the front porch.

Last edited:
Well, @sdoyle1 I received the integrated servo motor today, and it only shipped with the 14mm collet. If you have a lathe, I'm sure you could bore it out to 17mm and be on your way. Alas, currently I do not, so it will be returned.

Well, @sdoyle1 I received the integrated servo motor today, and it only shipped with the 14mm collet. If you have a lathe, I'm sure you could bore it out to 17mm and be on your way. Alas, currently I do not, so it will be returned.

I do happen to have a lathe. I’m far from a machinist but I can probably get it done. I guess I’ll see when mine arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just got my pfaff 545 set up with a needle positioner today. Need to get my brother to make an attachment to add one to my singer 20u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is it tricky to use the felled seam folder. I'm imagining a table set up on each side to hold long lengths of material with me in the middle trying to keep the edges feeding in at the right position.

Back