• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing Machine Find

Schwonkhead

My wife has had this Dressmaker stashed away in our basement for over 10 years, her stepdad bought it for her and I don't think she has ever used it. I haven't been able to find much information about it online but I think it is a Singer 15 clone from the 1950s. Hopefully someone on here will be able to confirm or refute that. If that is indeed what it is, it should have enough power to punch through webbing, cordura, or anything else I might stack up to create a saddle or bags/pouches and the like, correct?
It is missing the manual, but am I correct in assuming an old 15-90 manual would get me close enough if I need a reference for how everything on this unit operates?
Here are some pics of the machine.
image0.jpeg image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg image5.jpeg

Any information I can get on this machine would be very much appreciated.

That is definitely a model 15 clone. A Singer 15 Manual would probably be a great place to start looking for info. I don't have personal experience with a clone, but I have read enough positive about their performance on heavy materials that I would push it and find out!

Yes it is a singer 15 90 clone. I don't have that particular "brand" but I have a clone (old montgomery ward) and it is a great machine. Sews multiple layers of webbing pretty well. Easy to work on and you can find parts easy.

Sweet color, almost looks the same. Thanks for the info. I have some 18 needles and number 70 thread, but nice to know I can bump it up a size.
You're welcome. I think these Japanese clones of the Singer 15 are all of the HA-1 design. I'm on this Facebook thread of Vintage Japanese Sewing Machines. I don't like FB but my family uses it so I do. Size 18 needles with V69 thread works on every machine I have tried it. I think V92 may work with a size 18 needle but it could have too much drag to be trouble free. V92 and size 20 are trouble free, in my experience.

Back