• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing machine.... For sewing thru these saddle straps

Buckhorn70

SH Member
I would like to invest in a sewing machine that can handle sewing thru the straps and such to customize my saddles. I would like to buy used and no not one thing about sewing machines. Any advice or recommendations from some of you sewing gurus would be appreciated.

Also... Any recommendations on where to buy strapping and buckles, etc?

Re: RE: Sewing machine.... For sewing thru these saddle straps

Buckhorn70 said:
I would like to invest in a sewing machine that can handle sewing thru the straps and such to customize my saddles. I would like to buy used and no not one thing about sewing machines. Any advice or recommendations from some of you sewing gurus would be appreciated.

Straps and buckles I usually find on eBay or Amazon after I do a little research and figure out which brand, model, etc I want.
Though sometimes you just gotta get what you can where you can find it

Shaun.

Para gear, strapworks, ebay, amazon, REI. Depends on what you are buying. I buy all climbing grade or military grade webbing and hardware.

Buckhorn70 said:

How much are you planning to spend on a machine? Can you convince your wife to (or will you) use it for anything other than this?

Maustypsu said:
Buckhorn70 said:

How much are you planning to spend on a machine? Can you convince your wife to (or will you) use it for anything other than this?

I want to spend as little as possible. I will buy used.... Thinking 300.00 or less

You are looking for a sewing guru - that isn't me. I'll still offer my recommendation since I've sewn up a couple saddles.
When I was researching the same type of machine I kept coming back to recommendations to buy an old single stitch machine. I ended up finding a 1935 Singer treadle on Craigslist for a price that I was willing to pay (half of what you quoted your upper limit is).
That machine is able to sew through multiple layers of Cordura 1000 along with some webbing. Is it fast? Nope. In fact when I sew through webbing I don't even use the treadle, I just spin the doohickey by hand. I've sewn leather with this thing.

Chances are there is an old Singer for sale near you. You can get the user manual(s) online for free most of the time.

Considerations:
-Singer model 66 (I think) has a weird shaped bobbin. I wouldn't personally want a machine that doesn't use a normal round bobbin.
-Models with a 'reverse' capability are great, mine doesn't have that option so I have to literally spin my work around to 'backstitch' it prior to tying the stiches off. Wish mine had this.
-There is plenty of web sites out there that give details on how to clean up and 'tune' an old machine, even if it has sat for decades.
-Bobbin tension can be a tricky thing to figure out. Check out Ray Jardine's website for a GREAT way to get a perfect stitch by adjusting the correct bobbin tension.

Just get a machine and start sewing, you'll be happy in the long run.

I didnt know squat about sewing either. I bought an electric singer 66 off craigslist for 50 or 60 dollars. Cleaned out all of the lint balls and started sewing. I had to order some needles and thread off amazon but it sews thru multiple layers of strapping no problem. I suppose there are better machines but this one works fine for me. Good luck!!

Trust me, I'm no sewing expert either! Next year I plan to retire from the Corps after almost 24 years.
In that time I've learned a thing or two about field artillery and a couple other topics, but didn't learn a thing about sewing... :lol:

Despite that, it took all of about 10 minutes of internet searches to know that I wanted an old model, single stitch machine to sew through webbing material. Another 10 minutes and I had a pdf version of an owner's manual. Ten more minutes and I was sewing some seatbelt material together.

The hardest part is finding the machine that you want to buy. Here is a hint for the manly men - if you are too tough or embarrassed to do your own sewing, you can always shut the blinds or otherwise cover your windows! There are saddles to be made after all. :D

As I heard quoted here before, its a precision thread injector......

All jokes aside, it's not that hard. I found a 111g156 for 500$. It's a walking foot industrial machine made in the 40s. The best manual I found was actually an army and navy field manual. Apparently this type of machine was commonly used to repair tents and sails in wwii.

I would highly suggest getting a machine with reverse. Rotating your work to lock a stitch might not be possible depending on what you are working on.

So far I haven't found anything that will fit under the foot of my machine that it won't punch a hole through. And it has a 1/2" clearance. I tried it with 1/2" of knife sheath leather and it went through like butter.

Now just like everything I buy, I made some modifications. Perhaps that's why I like saddle hunting so much :).

I changed out the motor and the drive pulleys because the machine was way too fast for me to do precision work. And I am working on building a new table with a cutting material top so I can use my rolling cutter on the same table.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back