• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing Machine Timing

Aeds151

I was just given a Singer CG 500 that worked until I got a hold of it. Any good tips/vids to recommend on timing? All I can find shows me how to get the hook to catch the thread, which it does now but then i am having the needle hit other places as the cylinder goes around both directions which doesnt seem to be addressed anywhere. I am trying this with needle set all the way to left of presser foot . What did I mess up now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using upholstery thread, I am experiencing a lot of bunching of the thread at the needle eyelet. I have adjusted tension, timing, length of sitch. Any ideas or anyone else experience?

Using upholstery thread, I am experiencing a lot of bunching of the thread at the needle eyelet. I have adjusted tension, timing, length of sitch. Any ideas or anyone else experience?

What size needle are you using? Upholstery thread is a slight but bigger and coarser than tex 70 thread but smaller than 92. Maybe try going up one or two sizes on your needle and see if that fixes the issue

Im running 100/16, 100/18 and 100/14. I just got the “heavy duty” singer needles as well as denim and leather pack. It seems everything is in time as the hook catches the thread at every position until its actually time to sew. It will either not catch bobbin thread at all or maybe 5 times in a 8” sew line. Meaning, long, incorrect stitches. I have used almost 2 bobbins of thread and countless hours messing with this thing since late july. Im thinking its just not the right type of machine but then this happens just trying to layer a thin piece of fleece over cordura. Seems like a pretty cake job for a “commercial grade” machine.

Im running 100/16, 100/18 and 100/14. I just got the “heavy duty” singer needles as well as denim and leather pack. It seems everything is in time as the hook catches the thread at every position until its actually time to sew. It will either not catch bobbin thread at all or maybe 5 times in a 8” sew line. Meaning, long, incorrect stitches. I have used almost 2 bobbins of thread and countless hours messing with this thing since late july. Im thinking its just not the right type of machine but then this happens just trying to layer a thin piece of fleece over cordura. Seems like a pretty cake job for a “commercial grade” machine.

I had similar issues with an industrial sail rite machine. Sounds like it’s not your timing but instead the top tension is too tight and needle hole may be too small. I would try the 18 or even 19 size needle and reduce the tension on your bobbin so that you don’t need so much tension on your top side. That fixed that issue on our old sail rite. Hopefully it helps with yours

I was just given a Singer CG 500 that worked until I got a hold of it. Any good tips/vids to recommend on timing? All I can find shows me how to get the hook to catch the thread, which it does now but then i am having the needle hit other places as the cylinder goes around both directions which doesnt seem to be addressed anywhere. I am trying this with needle set all the way to left of presser foot . What did I mess up now?

I didn’t see this part the other day, when you say the needle is hitting other parts, what is it hitting? Is it going smoothly through the hole in and out of the feed dogs? Does it hit the same things if the needle is centered as it does with it to the far left?
The thread bunching up, I can almost certainly say is either too small of a needle eye or too much top tension. When either one happens, some of the thread’s individual strands will peel up causing it to bunch up. Sometimes this will break the thread, sometimes it’ll bend or even break the needle.

Back