• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing Machine

Buckhorn70

SH Member
Looking to hunt for a sewing machine that can handle sewing webbing at home..... not being a sewing guru..... What type of machine should I be shopping for?

Dude I got one at Wally World last night....you should have seen the stitching that I did....broke the needle....good thing there were spares.....Way more to one that I realized....bobbins, spools, lower thread upper thread.....those little old ladies that I knew could have been rocket scientists if they could one run of those things! After it was all said and done, I got sewing I was trying to do done.....practice makes perfect!

If you want to go cheaper look for an older singer with the all metal insides. I found a nice one for $30 on goodwill’s online auction. I have to have its serviced as well once I got it so everything worked perfectly but that was only 40-50$. Works perfectly and I can do anything with it. Planning a canvas tent for a winter project.

Mine is great

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I've been looking at those as well. I figured after breaking my wife's sewing machine we could get a heavy duty one, right......wrong, she went out and got another one without my input, I was so sad, lol. How many layers of fleece/webbing/nylon can you go through? Is it all metal inside?

I've been looking at those as well. I figured after breaking my wife's sewing machine we could get a heavy duty one, right......wrong, she went out and got another one without my input, I was so sad, lol. How many layers of fleece/webbing/nylon can you go through? Is it all metal inside?
3-4 layers of thicker webbing. Not sure about inside... I don't want to break it... Haha, the thing has taken everything I've given it in stride, if it breaks in a year I'd probably buy the same one because it's been so good.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

find a pfaff. i have a Pfaff 18 made in the 50's, its german made and could potentially be used to anchor a pontoon boat, weighs about 50 lbs! but i can sew leather and anything i want. just not a bunch of thick layers because of the space between the foot and the base.

Just stay away from anything that has plastic internal parts if you want any type of longevity out of it. Anything from the 50s 60s and 70s is usually pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an old singer66 that sucker has sewn many saddles. I do break needles once in a while. I realize there are better ones but for $50 it works.

My mom was a seam stress and she always had singer commercial machines and Bernina commercial machines. I have one of the old berninas and used it on the sit drag project I did last night. Forgot how much fun it is to sew.

I have a mid-70's Kenmore and a 1953 Singer 201. Both will easily handle webbing. Both are all metal guts.
I personally like the older straight stitch machines like the 201. That thing is built like a tank!

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk

Back