• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

sewing machines

noxninja

what brand/model sewing machines are ya'll using for cloth and webbing stitches?

Kenmore something or other. Most machines will get the job done.

Attachments

• IMG_5099.PNG
    IMG_5099.PNG
    973.4 KB · Views: 37
what brand/model sewing machines are ya'll using for cloth and webbing stitches?
I bought an old Singer treadle (built in 1935). I was looking for a single stitch only machine; I am fairly confident it can stitch two pieces of 3/16" plywood together.

There are lots of good machines out there for webbing and such.
Advice - if you end up with an old Singer, make sure it uses 'regular' bobbins or you may have a tough time finding replacements. I think the model 66 Singer uses weird oblong shaped bobbins, mine is (I believe) a model 88 or something like that.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Ditto on the Singer treadle - I think mine is older than that. Got it to teach my daughter sewing without electricity. But also used it to sew up some webbing and cordura for wallets (smallets). I can't make anything that looks nice, but the dog sure likes his new dog bed cover I made.

I have 2...a 1953 Singer 201 and a 60's, maybe early 70's Kenmore. If you want more details I'll check the serial/model info. I really enjoy the simplicity of the Singer. In fact the Kenmore hasn't seen use since I picked it up.
5bcaa58e010b6e73af9ba0fb47eb8e7f.jpg
da40e1225d0602c081b8c7ade9ae117d.jpg

I have 2...a 1953 Singer 201 and a 60's, maybe early 70's Kenmore. If you want more details I'll check the serial/model info. I really enjoy the simplicity of the Singer. In fact the Kenmore hasn't seen use since I picked it up.
5bcaa58e010b6e73af9ba0fb47eb8e7f.jpg
da40e1225d0602c081b8c7ade9ae117d.jpg
I want to do some webbing project... nothing big... what do u think about the Singer Heavy Duty 4452... probably only going to be doing box stitches and stuff like that ...

I am looking at getting a sewing machine also and unsure of what to look for. There are singer machine that look old and newer and I see a lot of white sewing machines too. What do I look for?Screenshot_20190131-124837_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20190131-124900_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20190131-123436_Facebook.jpg

I am looking at getting a sewing machine also and unsure of what to look for. There are singer machine that look old and newer and I see a lot of white sewing machines too. What do I look for?View attachment 9872View attachment 9873View attachment 9874
Hard to answer with an specificity...for me when I was looking, I would identify make/model and ballpark of year of the machine and then head to Google. Search the make and model and add keywords to it. My favorite/most effective usually were "webbing" or "cordura". So something along the lines of "singer 15 webbing." Then look for the results in forums related to backpacking or other outdoor activities or even in sewing forums. There were not many machines I could not find at least something on.

Of the ones you posted...personally I would look into the 2nd White. I don't know anything about it, but Age looks about right for all metal gears and given everything that appears to be included, it was likely actually used and cared for. AKA didn't just sit and get gummed up. And before you purchase...makes sure parts like bobbins are readily available.

Oh, and good luck!

I have a Singer Fashion Mate #237 I got for free. It was frozen solid. I took it apart cleaned the rust off some parts and oiled it up and now it works but I don't know the first thing about sewing.
Is this a decent machine? How do I learn? There's a lot of stuff I would love to make but no clue how to start.

Back