• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shifting Focus

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Guys, I spent the better part of this year scouting a ton of new ground trying to get my daughter a deer with bow (First time she has bow hunted since we were in MT decades ago). Anyway, I have spent most of October trying to get that done. She is afraid of heights so found out stands aren't going to work, She doesn't like to be left to sit in the dark alone, and she is limited to 20 yards. We had our challenges.

Well I spent most of October with her, in ghillie suits, trying to get it done. We have been close, a actually had 2 does 6 yards from her Sat afternoon. Morning. She is a nurse and lives 2 hours away, so finding time together has not been easy.

My point, this has been such a fun and rewarding season with her. Just seeing her excitement has made my season. while i did manage to put a doe down that same sat evening, 100 yards from her, it was so anti-climactic. It was more fun having her to help drag out a deer, field dressing it together, taking it to the butcher, checking cameras, etc.....

For those of you that follow my marble illustration - those marbles are special - made of pure gold and I wouldn't trade one of them for 10 of the other ones. As Nov comes and I start to pursue my target bucks like so many - just wanted to share this with the younger guys - keep your eyes on what really matters most in life - the relationships around you. Deer seasons will come and go, and it wont be the next great buck that stirs your heart most when twilight approaches.

This is so good to hear Dave. May you have many more precious moments with her in the future!

Back