• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shikar FXD or Regular

Jordan121787

So, I recently picked up the new Hush stand and I am wanting to upgrade from my hawk heliums. I also use a saddle a lot of the times. So, I’ve read a lot about the regular shikar and the fiddle factor gets old with them. Are they really that tiresome over time? I like the idea of how the 17”s pack on the stand on the sides leaving the shelf feature open. The FXDs mate against the middle shelf portion of the stand, which is nice but doesn’t leave much room for a bag. So I’m not sure which route to go coming from a fixed hawk helium stick. I’d hate to get the regular ones and get tired of setting them up if it’s a hassle. Saddle wise, it doesn’t matter either way.
So, FXD or regular? Which did you chose and why?

I had the original Shikars and sold them on here due to the fiddle factor. He now makes the fixed for a reason which is to give you the option to choose. Both are awesome sticks. It’s just all in how you want to pack in and pack out. I like the fact that I don’t have to deal with knobs or parts being tight and difficult to move. But again, some people don’t mind the extra few seconds that takes. Either way you will like them. Also, nothing says you can’t just leave your regular Shikars in the fixed position and try it both ways.

Had the same question myself so following this. Definitely leaning towards fixed.

I had the original Shikars and sold them on here due to the fiddle factor. He now makes the fixed for a reason which is to give you the option to choose. Both are awesome sticks. It’s just all in how you want to pack in and pack out. I like the fact that I don’t have to deal with knobs or parts being tight and difficult to move. But again, some people don’t mind the extra few seconds that takes. Either way you will like them. Also, nothing says you can’t just leave your regular Shikars in the fixed position and try it both ways.

Leaving the regular ones in a fixed position…how do they stack? Anyone know?

I have a FXD with scout. Its solid and packs well to outside of a pack.
It can be put in a pack but isnt realistic once you start carrying cold weather gear.
To be transparent im deciding between my ewo with UP and FXD w angled scout.
The fiddle factor on regular shikar becomes more pronounced when your hands are cold.

Looking at the side stacked FXD’s, it looks like that would accomplish the same goal for me of packing the sticks flat against the back of my pack to lash them down. Just stick the stand offs facing away from the backpack. That’s what I’ll go with.

If you buy the ones that you can spin the steps on to fold flat, you can always flip bolts around the opposite way and make them fixed sticks...? I agree, fiddling with them in the cold sucks, but they're compact (even as fixed steps), they're light, and they're double steps, all pluses for me...

Back