• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shoot to Eat Challenge

boxerboxer

Just started doing a fun challenge today to help evaluate how ready I am for deer season, posted by Sorinex Outdoors here a few days ago.
Starting August 1st, for the entire month, every day:
  • Choose a Distance that is realistic to your hunting scenario.
  • Shoot for the smallest target that challenges your aim (could be as big as deer vitals, or smaller if you need a challenge)
  • Shoot one cold shot, ideally fresh out of bed, as early in the day as possible. If you hit, you eat breakfast. If you miss, you skip it.
  • Shoot Every Day. No missed days.
  • Be accountable. Share it with friends either on social media or via text. No fudging for the gram, just the naked truth.
  • Increase distance by 1yd per day, or reduce target size every 5th day, if you are capped on shooting distance.
  • As always this is supposed to be fun, and challenging. Keep the focus on your technique, your hunt, and your aim. Focus, aim true, and shoot to eat.
Here's my photo for today. This was at 15 with my hill style longbow. The wood arrows I'm shooting are a bit stiff and I'll need to get something else tuned up for season, but the miss was my fault.S2E-01Aug2023.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2. We eat. I moved in to about 12 yds and made a much better shot. About 2" high but almost dead on left/right. I did some work yesterday and I think I learned some things in practice yesterday that helped me lock in and make a better shot today. Forgot to take a target picture so today you get a screenshot of a video.

IMG_E6110[1].JPG

c64d83f00b661c62a53728524f6017d5.jpg

Evening first shot from 25. It’s still pretty dark in the morning when I leave for work and too hot to not get sweated up even shooting one shot. After that shot I moved up to 20 and proceeded to suck for about the next 8 shots before I got my crap together and strung 10 or so really strong shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@boxerboxer

Last edited:
First shot this morning at an apple in the yard at about 14 yards. It's hard to tell from the angle but the arrow went right under the apple, so I call that a hit. One slice of bacon and a pot of coffee please, lol.

By the way, I tried something new yesterday morning and it really helped me out. Jason Samkowiak posted a video (167) Working Your Bow Arm And Release At The Same Time - YouTube a couple of days ago about pushing your bow arm out and letting that trigger the release. Well. it really helped with my dropping the bow arm and plucking the string.

Attachments

• august 2 2023.jpg
    august 2 2023.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 17
The only arrow that counted this morning went wide. I’m going to keep working with the longbow in hopes of being ready but also will dust off the recurve I case I need it.
9c26363cb7c7ae2b413ff562ba52d1b2.jpg

The only arrow that counted this morning went wide. I’m going to keep working with the longbow in hopes of being ready but also will dust off the recurve I case I need it.
9c26363cb7c7ae2b413ff562ba52d1b2.jpg

You've certainly challenged yourself with an ASL. Shooting a 'curve is almost cheating. :blush:. Most don't realize how tough you've made it for yourself.

Back