• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shooting from saddle; leaning vs dropping bow arm

Wudzmann

So I'm new to this whole saddle concept and working on putting together a sitdrag until I know I like it enough to invest in a legit saddle. I'm curious about when shooting from a saddle, am I right to think I'm going to be leaning a lot to make sure that I don't drop my bow arm? Coming from treestand hunting, I've always focused on my pivot point being at my waist to keep my shoulders straight across, that part will be the same now when I'm standing on the platform, but if I'm leaning or sitting in the saddle, am I right to think that I'm going to have to still pivot at the waist and lean way out in order to not drop my bow arm? Dropping my bow arm has always changed my groups. I'm looking at some of these pictures of guys that are way up in trees, higher than the 15-20 feet I'd usually be up in a treestand. I usually set stands to be a 10-20 yard shot in hunting situations and if I'm 25-30 feet up into the tree, there has to be compensation somewhere in the shooting form since the trajectory/shot angle is now going to be more acute. Looking for advise so that I'm staying safe and using the experience of the group to make sure I think of everything in this process. Naturally I'm only going up a tree as high as I'm comfortable with, so I'd specifically like to hear advise in things like foot placement, if I need to wrap legs around the tree (haha), bow arm dropped, lean/bending/twisting at the waist, and anything form related. ...safety too.

I hate to be that guy, but you're really gonna have to just climb up and start flinging arrows. You're 100% correct in that a lot changes. Some folks have a hard time adjusting. Me, I was good after a couple of weekends. But I'm a 30 yards and in kind of guy and I was used to climbing high to start with. I also used my harness to make leaning shots in my climber, so I was used to that aspect as well.

To me the hardest part was actually physically drawing the bow and getting into position for the shot. All my muscle memory from hinting a traditional stand became instantly useless. It took a bit of shooting in different positions, and busting a few armadillos out of the saddle to get used to making "hunting shots."

I hate to be that guy, but you're really gonna have to just climb up and start flinging arrows. You're 100% correct in that a lot changes. Some folks have a hard time adjusting. Me, I was good after a couple of weekends. But I'm a 30 yards and in kind of guy and I was used to climbing high to start with. I also used my harness to make leaning shots in my climber, so I was used to that aspect as well.

To me the hardest part was actually physically drawing the bow and getting into position for the shot. All my muscle memory from hinting a traditional stand became instantly useless. It took a bit of shooting in different positions, and busting a few armadillos out of the saddle to get used to making "hunting shots."
Any positive feedback is welcome, you're not that guy in this response. I appreciate the feedback because I'm one to test limits and as much as I will likely do that with this, I will not compromise safety. I have been hand sewing my sitdrag and decided that I'm not happy with the stitches so I'm looking to get a sewing machine and do it right. Saddles fits my style of hunting way better than stands ever could so I'm really looking to give this a solid effort to be able to make the switch and get past anything that may effect my shot, comfort, safety, and ultimately success while enjoying hunting. Thanks for your input!

I firmly believe that i am a better shot out of a saddle than a fixed stand. I trust my saddle and lean into the shot and find that I have much better form and results.

Like nutter said, try it!

I am new to saddle hunting and have not had the opportunity to shoot from my saddle yet but have heard from multiple saddle hunters that it’s easier to shoot from the saddle than a fixed stand.

I am new to saddle hunting and have not had the opportunity to shoot from my saddle yet but have heard from multiple saddle hunters that it’s easier to shoot from the saddle than a fixed stand.
Not trying to bust your bubble, but there's a bit of bias in that population sample. ;)

If you're used to having a tree behind you and nothing in front of you, and being able to stand flat-footed to shoot, a saddle is gonna feel quite a bit different. The bridge and lead rope being in the way takes some getting used to as well. The weak-side shot takes a good bit of practice, and is frankly just not ideal.

It is nice when you can make ***** strong-side with both knees locked against the tree though. Very stable. And a rifle is definitely easier to steady from a saddle. There's pros and cons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to bust your bubble, but there's a bit of bias in that population sample. ;)

If you're used to having a tree behind you and nothing in front of you, and being able to stand flat-footed to shoot, a saddle is gonna feel quite a bit different. The bridge and lead rope being in the way takes some getting used to as well. The weak-side shot takes a good bit of practice, and is frankly just not ideal.

It is nice when you can make shots strong-side with both knees locked against the tree though. Very stable. And a rifle is definitely easier to steady from a saddle. There's pros and cons.

FIFY :tearsofjoy:

I have been told there is a learning curve to shooting a bow from the saddle and maneuvering around the bridge can by trying. The reason that made sense was that you are leaning, so your body is inline as if you were shoot a target versus having to bend at the waist from a fixed stand.

In my opinion you really have to get up there and try it. You should remind yourself that you still need to bend at the waist. The fundamentals of archery still apply. The bridge can be an issue but you just need to be aware is all. You can practice at ground level and then work up the tree. Most of my shots are in the 20-25 yd range the deer i shot this past weekend was like 16yds. You just have to bend and not let the arm drop.

If you bend at the waist well out of a stand you won’t have any problem with that out of a saddle.Moving around the tree and getting in position to make all your shots will be the toughest part but if you will get in the tree and shoot regular it won’t be bad at all.

Back