• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shooting Trad out of the saddle

mattpsu1

SH Member
Hey guys, I started hunting Trad about 6 years ago. I’ve had a few recurves and longbows over the past few years. I’m currently running with a 54” Toelke Pica at 48#s. Beautiful bow and it’s a sweet shooter. This will be my first year in a saddle. Over the past few weeks I have been familiarizing myself with my new equipment from low heights. Sitting, maneuvering and a little climbing, albeit, not very high and some one sticking. My Ridge Runner platform will be here on Monday So I haven’t been able to get my feet on something a little larger yet. I have yet to shoot out of the saddle as I plan on doing that this week. I am expecting it to be more difficult naturally. I am a little concerned on how comfortable I’ll be while shooting. I mean when I turned around at different angles and emulated having a bow drawn, I felt like I wasn’t real solid and some shakiness. I’m sure some of it has to do with my core muscle strength And do plan on doing some work there to help strengthen and stabilize when leaning for those shots and twisting and such. Just looking for some advice from guys that are shooting trad out of the saddle. I’m overly excited to give this thing a full go this year but I’m hoping I’ll be able to make that transition and maintain my accuracy while doing so. Thanks guys, this is a great site and I appreciate all the info.
Matt

Hey guys, I started hunting Trad about 6 years ago. I’ve had a few recurves and longbows over the past few years. I’m currently running with a 54” Toelke Pica at 48#s. Beautiful bow and it’s a sweet shooter. This will be my first year in a saddle. Over the past few weeks I have been familiarizing myself with my new equipment from low heights. Sitting, maneuvering and a little climbing, albeit, not very high and some one sticking. My Ridge Runner platform will be here on Monday So I haven’t been able to get my feet on something a little larger yet. I have yet to shoot out of the saddle as I plan on doing that this week. I am expecting it to be more difficult naturally. I am a little concerned on how comfortable I’ll be while shooting. I mean when I turned around at different angles and emulated having a bow drawn, I felt like I wasn’t real solid and some shakiness. I’m sure some of it has to do with my core muscle strength And do plan on doing some work there to help strengthen and stabilize when leaning for those shots and twisting and such. Just looking for some advice from guys that are shooting trad out of the saddle. I’m overly excited to give this thing a full go this year but I’m hoping I’ll be able to make that transition and maintain my accuracy while doing so. Thanks guys, this is a great site and I appreciate all the info.
Matt
Welcome to multiple addictions.
I shoot trad out of a saddle and I do recognize that some shots are harder for me than others. Weak side shots are more of an issue for me and I believe the problem is short drawing. I've talked to other trad saddle guys that have said the same thing. I know one well known saddle guy that went to a clicker to cure it for him. Otherwise, shooting trad out of a saddle should not be any different than shooting a compound.
I actually think that shooting from a bow from a saddle should be better than standing on a platform.

Welcome to multiple addictions.
I shoot trad out of a saddle and I do recognize that some shots are harder for me than others. Weak side shots are more of an issue for me and I believe the problem is short drawing. I've talked to other trad saddle guys that have said the same thing. I know one well known saddle guy that went to a clicker to cure it for him. Otherwise, shooting trad out of a saddle should not be any different than shooting a compound.
I actually think that shooting from a bow from a saddle should be better than standing on a platform.
Maybe I didn’t have my saddle optimally adjusted. Just felt a little shaky when I was twisted and turned and leaning out. Now I didn’t actually have a bow in my hand. And I wasn’t anchored on a platform, just my top step. I’ll give it a go this week when I get my Ridge Runner. Thanks Tom,
Matt

I am a JX3 junkie, trad shooter (60"@48lbs. DAS recurve) so shooting out of them, for me, is very easy.
I have saddle hunted since the mid- late 80's, and started after taking the "Baker climber slide down a tree" to many times......
The trick I find (after a lot of practice) is to lean into the side you want to shoot from.
Make sure you are initially set up correctly where you think the deer will be coming from.
You want the deer to be approaching from your bow arm side.
I strongly urge you to use a ROS or Treehopper bolts, so you never have to go "over the top" of your tether, I can walk around the tree to get the shot, I always have 2 feet on 2 separate Squirrel steps or bolts.
My tether is up as high as I can reach so that gives me the ability to circle the tree in both directions.
Practice, practice and practice some more, I mounted my Reinhardt deer on a rolling frame to get all the angles.
I have a very understanding wife that will pull arrows for me, most of the time.................
I find that most trad guys using a saddle, will have a tendency to shoot a little high so understand that is not odd.

I am a JX3 junkie, trad shooter (60"@48lbs. DAS recurve) so shooting out of them, for me, is very easy.
I have saddle hunted since the mid- late 80's, and started after taking the "Baker climber slide down a tree" to many times......
The trick I find (after a lot of practice) is to lean into the side you want to shoot from.
Make sure you are initially set up correctly where you think the deer will be coming from.
I strongly urge you to use a ROS or Treehopper bolts, so you never have to go "over the top" of your tether, I can walk around the tree to get the shot, I always have 2 feet on 2 separate Squirrel steps or bolts.
My tether is up as high as I can reach so that gives me the ability to circle the tree in both directions.
Practice, practice and practice some more, I mounted my Reinhardt deer on a rolling frame to get all the angles.
I have a very understanding wife that will pull arrows for me, most of the time.................
I find that most trad guys using a saddle, will have a tendency to shoot a little high so understand that is not odd.
Thank you, I really appreciate the information and advice. I do have a Ridge Runner Arriving today or tomorrow. Would you recommend a step on each side? Attach them separately or on same strap as Ridge Runner? I am new to all this. Hoping it arrives no later then tomorrow. Weather looks to be good and unfortunately pulling a quarantine. So I’m off with time on my hands and not allowed to interact in public, so off to the woods it is. Thanks,
Matt

Matt

As a stability issue, try to get one of your knees into the tree!

I have a minimum of 4 steps sometimes 6 depending on the tree diameter, I have 2 ROS.
The JX3 does not need a platform so put a bunch of steps around the tree for easy maneuvering, they are lighter than a platform.

I have a minimum of 4 steps sometimes 6 depending on the tree diameter, I have 2 ROS.
The JX3 does not need a platform so put a bunch of steps around the tree for easy maneuvering, they are lighter than a platform.
Do the ROS come with a set number of steps or can you pick how many? I gotta admit, that JXR looks pretty damn sweet! Has to be comfortable. Haven’t even hunted out of my Phantom yet but has me rationalizing why I should have 2 saddles for different occasions. Hmmm

Do the ROS come with a set number of steps or can you pick how many? I gotta admit, that JXR looks pretty damn sweet! Has to be comfortable. Haven’t even hunted out of my Phantom yet but has me rationalizing why I should have 2 saddles for different occasions. Hmmm
ROS can be as many or as few as needed. Tree size and personal preferences will dictate what you need.

My preference with this stuff is to go as minimal as what will work for you while still staying comfortable and safe.
JX3 isn't something that appeals to me. I'm comfortable without it and its overkill for my needs so why pay for it, and carry the extra bulk? Just my tastes, everyone varies. My point...start out minimal.
Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ROS can be as many or as few as needed. Tree size and personal preferences will dictate what you need.
Thanks Tom, I’m like a kid in a candy store here

My preference with this stuff is to go as minimal as what will work for you while still staying comfortable and safe.
JX3 isn't something that appeals to me. I'm comfortable without it and its overkill for my needs so why pay for it, and carry the extra bulk? Just my tastes, everyone varies. My point...start out minimal.

Any preferences on the ROS? I was looking at the Bullman Outdoors Silent Approach. $68 for a set of 6 with the strap. Give a little versatility if I chose to just use the ROS occasionally and leave platform behind. And the Treehoppers. Maybe buy like 3 of those to put around tree at 9,12 and 3 positions. I know there are other options out there. Just kicking the tires on these for the time being. Thanks,
Matt

Any preferences on the ROS? I was looking at the Bullman Outdoors Silent Approach. $68 for a set of 6 with the strap. Give a little versatility if I chose to just use the ROS occasionally and leave platform behind. And the Treehoppers. Maybe buy like 3 of those to put around tree at 9,12 and 3 positions. I know there are other options out there. Just kicking the tires on these for the time being. Thanks,
Matt
There are much better guys to ask about ROS than me.
I've tried Ameristeps waaay back when I tried saddle hunting with an old TrophyLine saddle. I didnt like the saddle or the ROS. Fast fwd to now and its a whole new world with gear. I'm loving platforms and a Recon.
But if I were to go ROS, I cant imagine for the money, and surface area for foot comfort and tree contact for stability, that there is a better choice than the Treehopper steps.
Strap quality will come into play, too. Junk webbing will stretch and get loose and the ROS will sag. Dont put an ROS on a garbage strap.

There are much better guys to ask about ROS than me.
I've tried Ameristeps waaay back when I tried saddle hunting with an old TrophyLine saddle. I didnt like the saddle or the ROS. Fast fwd to now and its a whole new world with gear. I'm loving platforms and a Recon.
But if I were to go ROS, I cant imagine for the money, and surface area for foot comfort and tree contact for stability, that there is a better choice than the Treehopper steps.
Strap quality will come into play, too. Junk webbing will stretch and get loose and the ROS will sag. Dont put an ROS on a garbage strap.

Thanks Tom, always appreciated. I got my Ridge Runner today and am loving it. I could easily lean, sit, swing around both directions. I think I could easily shoot 360 without extra steps but maybe one at 3 and 9 to get a little more solid for a shot. Did a few runs one sticking. Not very high yet of course and even rappelled down a few times. This **** is addictive!
Matt

I’ve been hunting trad from a saddle for a while now. I also shoot a Toelke. But a 58in whistler. The transition from shooting from a stand to saddle was very easy. Being able to feel the resistance of the tether as I’m leaning out make me feel safer than leaning over on a stand platform. I feel locked in and solid. I feel that I shoot better from a saddle also. I’ve always used a ring of steps wrapped in camo form. Sometimes when my feet are caked with mud I get my steps full of mud and I’m worried I’ll slip off while leaning out. It hasn’t happened yet. I got a scout platform this year to try. I still plan to have a squirrel step on either side but I think my stationary position which collects the most mud will benefit being the scout platform. We shall see.
Practice will build a trust in hanging from a tether. It won’t take long, and you will feel confident hanging upside down shooting! Lol

I’ve been hunting trad from a saddle for a while now. I also shoot a Toelke. But a 58in whistler. The transition from shooting from a stand to saddle was very easy. Being able to feel the resistance of the tether as I’m leaning out make me feel safer than leaning over on a stand platform. I feel locked in and solid. I feel that I shoot better from a saddle also. I’ve always used a ring of steps wrapped in camo form. Sometimes when my feet are caked with mud I get my steps full of mud and I’m worried I’ll slip off while leaning out. It hasn’t happened yet. I got a scout platform this year to try. I still plan to have a squirrel step on either side but I think my stationary position which collects the most mud will benefit being the scout platform. We shall see.
Practice will build a trust in hanging from a tether. It won’t take long, and you will feel confident hanging upside down shooting! Lol
Thanks for the advice. I just received my Ridge Runner platform yesterday and love it. I’m thinking of adding a few steps. At least one on each side to get a little further around the tree. Maybe 9,3 or 10,2. Do you have preferences on steps? Checking out the Treehoppers. Thanks,
Matt

Thanks for the advice. I just received my Ridge Runner platform yesterday and love it. I’m thinking of adding a few steps. At least one on each side to get a little further around the tree. Maybe 9,3 or 10,2. Do you have preferences on steps? Checking out the Treehoppers. Thanks,
Matt
I started out with the plastic ameristeps, then got the squirrel steps because they pack better. I have used bolts as a platform but quickly realized, they are not fun to stand on for any period of time except to use as a step.
I'd suggest squirrel steps as a ring of steps or just as an add-a-step to the side of a platform because of their packability.

What do you use to keep your arrow from falling off the rest? Like a 3rd finger or something. I’ve dropped my fair share of arrows over the past few years. Either the wind, bumping my bow, reaching for my bow...Thanks,
Matt

What do you use to keep your arrow from falling off the rest? Like a 3rd finger or something. I’ve dropped my fair share of arrows over the past few years. Either the wind, bumping my bow, reaching for my bow...Thanks,
Matt

This is what I've used on recurves for 28 seasons now. Works great.
I used them for several years when I shot compounds in the old days of a springy rests.

Back