• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Short bridge for JX3 Hybrid?

tarafrost

What is the recommended short bridge option for the JX3 for SRT ascents?

JX3 have a pre-made one, but having both that and the long one attached seems like it would be awkward and/or cluttered.

Anyone had luck with an Amsteel adjustable Utilibridge instead of the stock/short JX3 bridges? I've seen some comments around that Amsteel isn't recommended for bridges, but it does seem to be a common option with a number of respected saddle companies, like Cruzr, offering an amsteel bridge option.

One concern with an amsteel bridge is that girth hitching it to a bridge loop can reduce strength of the amsteel by up to 50%. Most amsteel bridges have a main line of 1/4", which is rated at 8000 lb (35.6 kn). So half of that is 4000 lbs (17.5 kn), which still seems reasonable. However, if you instead girth hitch the prussic loop, which is typically 3/16" amsteel on a utilibridge (5400 lbs/24kn), the girth hitch could be down to 2700lbs/12kn, which seems borderline life support rating. Note: I'm assuming the main line has a spliced loop and you use that to girth hitch in. Also assuming the prussic is a full bury loop, but that means where the two buried ends meet, you have a single line....and if that spot is in the wrong place (middle of girth hitch) strength could be 1/2 of the single line load. I suppose the easiest way to avoid the strength issue is to girth hitch the main line and use a biner to attach the prussic.

Thoughts anyone?

When I used a JX3 & wanted to run a short bridge , I used a black diamond dogbone. But you could use a runner or sling & double up to get your length close. Or replace the bridge with resc tech & a 6mm sterling trc prussic for an adjustable bridge……….

What's a good length for a short bridge on a JX3 that works well for SRT?

I tried some preliminary SRT in my garage on a 13' line with the stock bridge. Worked OK...but the JX3 kept wanting to angle back....is that just a matter of practice, short bridge or both?

Back