• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shorter bridge on Mantis

weekender21

SH Member
Anyone using a shorter than stock bridge on your Mantis? I was messing around today with a climbing sling girth hitched to one side with a carabiner on the other. Total length just over 23”.

Pros or cons from those that use a shorter bridge? I didn’t use it long enough to have much of an opinion, seemed fine.

I’m also considering trying a longer bridge...I probably tinker too much.

I don’t have an issue with the stock Amstel bridge but I do like the idea of moving it to one side vs. slipping it over my head.

I used a sterling 11/16” 24” sling for anyone interested. MBS rating 5,170

a18c0502d3f76aa8ec26521905b57a49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a sling too but then I tied a prussik on my mantis bridge with accessory cord and like it better. It runs through the same attachment point of the bridge. I felt the stock bridge was long for me.

I still have the same Amstel stock bridge. I couldn’t bring myself to cut it. The Amstel slides through the prusik so I basically just shorten the stock bridge and the tension is on the prusik. I could grab a picture tomorrow

I tried a shorter bridge. Right now I have an adjustable tubular webbing bridge. I started with the shortest length that would let me rotate a full 90 degrees. Left enough webbing to go even longer than stock Mantis bridge. So far I haven’t had a need to lengthen it. I went so far as to cut off the amsteel bridge.

I tried a shorter bridge. Right now I have an adjustable tubular webbing bridge. I started with the shortest length that would let me rotate a full 90 degrees. Left enough webbing to go even longer than stock Mantis bridge. So far I haven’t had a need to lengthen it. I went so far as to cut off the amsteel bridge.

I'm headed that route. Love my saddle but not a huge fan of the fixed bridge or amsteel in general.

I only sat in the saddle 15 or 20 minutes, a little rehearsal in Hawaii before I head to the east coast. It didn't seem uncomfortable at all but I've never had comfort issues with the stock bridge either.

Here’s my setup. If you don’t like the Amsteel it might not work for you. But somebody might find it helpful. It’s an easy way to make the bridge adjustable without cutting it.

Attachments

• FAA4829E-F64A-448A-BB59-086A4E1486E3.png
    FAA4829E-F64A-448A-BB59-086A4E1486E3.png
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Anyone using a shorter than stock bridge on your Mantis? I was messing around today with a climbing sling girth hitched to one side with a carabiner on the other. Total length just over 23”.

Pros or cons from those that use a shorter bridge? I didn’t use it long enough to have much of an opinion, seemed fine.

I’m also considering trying a longer bridge...I probably tinker too much.

I don’t have an issue with the stock Amstel bridge but I do like the idea of moving it to one side vs. slipping it over my head.

I used a sterling 11/16” 24” sling for anyone interested. MBS rating 5,170

a18c0502d3f76aa8ec26521905b57a49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have used some tubular webbing this year. The shorter bridge I seem to like on the thicker trees it seems to allow me to have a comfortable tether length. But it did give me a little more hip pinch around the 3-4 hr mark. Nothing unbearable. The stock tether I really like on thinner trees it seems to cup my hips and butt better. When using the shorter bridge I have my Amsteel bridge through carabiner as a backup. Seems to work for me to have the options is nice. And adjustable bridge I feel would make the most sense.

I’ve used an adjustable bridge this year. I ran it really short during archery season when I was using a recurve. I run it longer for longer sits with a rifle or compound.

It’s actually 5mm. It’s what I had. If I ever redo it I’d go up to 6 or 8.
They larger diameter you go the less it’s going to bite. You want your Prusik cord to be thinner than the rope you are using it on. From where I remember being taught, I think the general area you want to be is 30% less. Considering how slippery amsteel is I’m surprised you are getting a good bite, but I’m guessing that’s because amsteel is hollow core. Thinking more about it, I’m wondering if amsteel will eventually cut the accessory cord like cord will cut webbing. You might want to check the Prusik for wear occasionally.

They larger diameter you go the less it’s going to bite. You want your Prusik cord to be thinner than the rope you are using it on. From where I remember being taught, I think the general area you want to be is 30% less. Considering how slippery amsteel is I’m surprised you are getting a good bite, but I’m guessing that’s because amsteel is hollow core. Thinking more about it, I’m wondering if amsteel will eventually cut the accessory cord like cord will cut webbing. You might want to check the Prusik for wear occasionally.

Good info, thanks. I have around 25 sits in it with no signs of wear. But I will continue to check.

Good info, thanks. I have around 25 sits in it with no signs of wear. But I will continue to check.
I'm going to sound like one of those obnoxious safety know-it-alls, and I apologize for that. I recognize that this is your decision, and what you are comfortable with, and what you have learned from your experience is different from mine. That said, I've thought about your setup more.
What keeps a prusik in place is friction. Amsteel is insanely slippery. So slippery that the manufacturer directs you to splice, not knot, because knots won't hold.
Granted, the amount of slack you are taking up with the prusik is only a short distance, but I think there's a good chance that if you ease off the tension a little and then quickly add tension back, that the prusik won't grab. Think of the following scenario: You stand up on your platform or whatever, to stretch and let tension off the tether. You look up and a deer is approaching, so you lay back to get ready for a shot. prusik doesn't grab so you drop an extra 10 inches quickly that you weren't expecting which causes you to lose your footing, drop your bow, whatever.
You've been hunting with it, not me. So you are in a better position to judge. Just giving you what came into my head.

Amsteel is pretty slippery, so I wasn’t sure how it’d work. Maybe I just got lucky with the cord diameter I used but it grabs better than I thought. I actually have to stand up and roll the prusik through to get it to let go. I think since the Amsteel diameter gets larger as it moves toward the eye (because of the splice) helps it out a lot with grabbing. I always welcome the safety input. Thank you. That’s one reason I come here.

Edit: I wanna add that I think you’re right. In most scenarios I don’t think a prusik would be a good idea on Amsteel.

Last edited:
Back