• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shotgun scope question

Newhunter1

SH Member
I need some information. I have a Remington 870 20 guage for my son for shotgun season. It had a Remington scope 2x7 but like a dummy, I put the scope on where the elevation was where the windage should have been and vice versa. When sighting it in I was so far right that I didn't know where I was shooting. Came back and found that my scope ring screws were stripped and were not seating after the shot. Came home and still installed it the same way (idiot), bore sighted the scope in and I had to continuously turn the windage and elevation to max it out. Didn't feel comfortable with the scope on the gun...went and bought a traditions muzzleloader scope for a .50 cal. My thought process was that if it will handle the recoil of the .50 it should in theory handle the recoil of a 20 guage shooting lightfield slugs or hornady slugs. When I looked over the directions it occurred to me that I had placed the previous scope wrong with the elevation and windage. Here's my question...will the traditions muzzloader scope 3x9 stay true with a Remington 870 20 gauge?

Last edited:
It will probably do as well on a shotgun as it would on a muzzleloader. I'd spring for better rings, though. The no-name aluminum rings that came with this scope will strip out as easily as the rings you're replacing.

Not to be a snob, but if you can afford better glass it's worthwhile here. You don't want your son to get frustrated and give up on hunting because of an equipment failure. Weaver, Redfield, Burris, Bushnell, Nikon, and similar brands will probably deliver more satisfaction than this scope package. Most of my glass is pretty cheap, but I've learned my lesson on bargain-basement variable power scopes. A fixed four-power shotgun scope is perfectly adequate for slug hunting.

It will probably do as well on a shotgun as it would on a muzzleloader. I'd spring for better rings, though. The no-name aluminum rings that came with this scope will strip out as easily as the rings you're replacing.

Not to be a snob, but if you can afford better glass it's worthwhile here. You don't want your son to get frustrated and give up on hunting because of an equipment failure. Weaver, Redfield, Burris, Bushnell, Nikon, and similar brands will probably deliver more satisfaction than this scope package. Most of my glass is pretty cheap, but I've learned my lesson on bargain-basement variable power scopes. A fixed four-power shotgun scope is perfectly adequate for slug hunting.

I've spent so much money so far...last month I bought two shotguns, went to the trap range with myself and my two sons, shooting 50-75 rounds per person weekly. I did just get these rings... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-inch-Qui...a=1&pg=2053904&_trksid=p2053904.c100227.m3827
I'll keep the scope until I save some more money for a leupold 2-7 power scope, or 1-4 power scope.

That is a pile of money, especially for one season. If you have access to a in-lb torque driver it might be worth busting it out when torquing down your rings to keep yourself from over-torquing the screws. If not, firm finger tight+ loctite should keep things in place.

Back