• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Should I be concerned about climbing drt in the rain?

Newb2hanging

I believe I read somewhere that water lowers the breaking strength of rope. Just wanted to get you guy's opinions on it and how big of a concern it is. Additionally, I wondered if moisture would affect a Blake's hitch or prusiks? Thanks in advance guys. I really appreciate all your help and advice. I promise this is the last dumb question for the night lol

I believe I read somewhere that water lowers the breaking strength of rope. Just wanted to get you guy's opinions on it and how big of a concern it is. Additionally, I wondered if moisture would affect a Blake's hitch or prusiks? Thanks in advance guys. I really appreciate all your help and advice. I promise this is the last dumb question for the night lol
Being wet lowers the ropes strength some but not significantly enough to be scared of it. What I’ve noticed is that your hitch won’t produce as much friction when it’s moving. For me the biggest downfalls to climbing in the rain is the bark is more slippery than normal so getting good footing for hip thrust is a little more difficult, and the the hitch squeezes a bunch of water onto your lap when you’re descending on the Blake’s :sweatsmile:
*** always test your hitch and gear for holding characteristics before climbing. That is as true in the rain as it is when it’s dry. Make sure you hang your gear up to dry out afterwards never store it wet and never climb when it’s lightening.

Being wet lowers the ropes strength some but not significantly enough to be scared of it. What I’ve noticed is that your hitch won’t produce as much friction when it’s moving. For me the biggest downfalls to climbing in the rain is the bark is more slippery than normal so getting good footing for hip thrust is a little more difficult, and the the hitch squeezes a bunch of water onto your lap when you’re descending on the Blake’s :sweatsmile:
*** always test your hitch and gear for holding characteristics before climbing. That is as true in the rain as it is when it’s dry. Make sure you hang your gear up to dry out afterwards never store it wet and never climb when it’s lightening.
alright, good to know. I didn't know if it was like an emergency to get out of the tree sort of thing. I could definitely see the slick bark being a problem. Is the friction issue so much of a problem that you go for a ride to the bottom or is it more of a be mindful of the brake sort of thing?

Back