• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Show me how you pack climbing sticks!

Hello!

I am planning on sewing a fully custom frame pack for my hunting needs. Ive always struggled to find a way to pack my sticks in on my pack that keep them streamline, but also accessible while climbing. I would love to see lots of pictures of how you do it! Please fill this thread, and my brain, with ideas!

I’m using four full length Novix sticks and a military style assault pack that has two cinch straps on each side.

when walking in I have two sticks strapped to each side of the pack. The sticks are held together with those rubber gear ties. I have no issues with movement they are super tight.

when I get to the tree I take them off my pack and set them against the base. I then put my saddle on and put my pack back in my back. I set my first step while in the ground and hook the other three to my saddle.

they way they hook to my saddle for climbing is with an easy mod and S biners. I bought some small S biners and cut off one of the “doors” so that I can easily access my sticks without having to use the door. I have one on the left, right, and back of my saddle. What I did to my Novix sticks is pop the end cap off and drill a hole through it. Then I made a para cord loop that goes around the
Bolts and through that hole on the end cap.

i do not have pictures currently but I’ll get some when I get home in a few days. I’m leaning heavily towards cutting the sticks down and adding aiders because the long sticks have a bit to much swing as a climb and can clang together if I’m not careful.

Going to be tough, I've tried it. Ive been using a "Pack Rabbit" frame with "stick talons" down both sides. I can run 4 sticks and dont have to take it off when I get to the tree. I hang my back pack in middle. If I want to run a Loc On, I just pull my pack off the "Pack Rabbit" frame and put it on the Loc On. and I have everything I need. Ill try to post pics tomorrow.

Streamlined and access while climbing seem to be the water and oil in my experiments. Interested to see what other hunters are running. I’ve been removing pack at base of tree and hooking my sticks to my saddle similar to above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am running the Hawk Helium 20” sticks. Only thing i did was buy a bow sling and attach it to my top stick. Sling it over my shoulder and roll on. No issues so far.
I did add a piece of 550 Paracord around the sticks to keep them together (as i hollowed out the locks a little to much and they made a little noise)

I carry a wingman platform and 2 Novix minis. I have a one step aider on the platform and one stick and a two step aider on my bottom stick.

I stack a sick nested against the BACK of the platform so that the standoffs are fading opposite. I then stack the second stick normally with the first. The platform rests on the top of my kuiu pack.

I can get to about 15 feet without a stretch

This is how I’m doing mine.

Bottom of the tree, set my first stick and clip one on each side. Most of the time I’m 15-18’ with 3 sticks (2 step aider and 2 singles)

Attachments

• 1471C8C5-81BD-4687-A6C8-2A38617F418A.jpeg
    1471C8C5-81BD-4687-A6C8-2A38617F418A.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 133
I am using four helium 20 inch sticks. I stack them in 2's, place the 2 sets beside each other and bind with 2 gear ties. I take one of the strap and wrap it around my hunting bag and reconnect to the versa button. Then tighten it down. They seem to stay in place pretty well.

Back