• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"Sick monkey sound" the reality of not being a good turkey caller

Chickenhawk

Well, tomorrow morning turkey season opens. So this evening I come bopping through the house with my call half way hanging out my lips, (been practicing my outstanding calling techniques), my six year old son sees it and automatically his face lights up!! Guess he wanted to here his dad throw down one of his master of artistry calling techniques!! Then he blurts it out, MAKE THAT SICK MONKEY SOUND AGAIN DAD!!! Oh well, guess I'll be chasing sick monkeys in the AM.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I would feel good if someone said my mouth piece calling sounded like a sick monkey. LOL. I just can not get it figured out. Slate call for me.

I would feel good if someone said my mouth piece calling sounded like a sick monkey. LOL. I just can not get it figured out. Slate call for me.

I really struggled with a mouth call until I bought a small framed call. I still suck but, I can at least make sounds that resemble a turkey now. Apparently, I have a narrow mouth . The fit of the call is more important than many people realize.

I found that while practicing mouth calls...

1) The acoustics in my apartment or car differ a crapton from the woods.
2) Whenever I record myself and play it back, I sound a lot worse than I thought.

Not all turkeys sound like the pros and if u dont have confidence scratch the call till u do and use simpler calls. I don’t use mouth calls can’t do I run push buttons and slates. I do just fine killing birds.

Not all turkeys sound like the pros and if u dont have confidence scratch the call till u do and use simpler calls. I don’t use mouth calls can’t do I run push buttons and slates. I do just fine killing birds.
Excellent advice. I’ve called in a few gobblers with the slate/glass friction call, would like to add a diaphragm call since it’s hands free for close calling and gives you a variety of sounds.

Killed a bird every year for a decade or more and all I can do is yelp on a mouth call. Worked just fine this morning as well. Box call only comes out on very windy days late running and gunning trying to locate one. Cadence is more important than the sound IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of guys call too much.
I have turkeys around my house all day, every day. The hens just don't yelp constantly like some hunters try to imitate.
A cut or 2 at fly down time and then an occasional cluck is more realistic.
Raking dry leaves sounds more like a real turkey. Also, carry a dry wing and beat that against the ground every once in a while. A lot of authentic turkey sounds aren't coming from their mouths.

Back