• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sight or Sound

Patriot

When on stand and set up which of your senses gives you the first indication of deer. Sight or sound? I’m probably 85% sound but I’m blind and hunt thick stuff quite a bit.

I think mine is mostly sight.
I also know the general travel routes and directions on the farm I hunt so I'm typically watching for movement quite a ways out and occasionally get surprised by a sound close by that I wasn't expecting

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sound and sight are 50/50 I can count numerous times I’ve smelled them first

Sight for me. I agree with @redbeard,squirrels can mess with you as far as sound goes. On a gun opener a few years back I had a squirrel close by making a ruckus,running back and forth. So five minutes later I heard more crunching and figured it was the squirrel. I was wrong,a buck was cruising by and my gun was leaning against a tree I was sitting by. I almost didn't manage to pick it up before the buck was past.

Where I hunt it's mostly sight. Too much road traffic around here to depend on sound. A couple of my stands are closer to the road than they are to the deer trails I'm watching. Also, I'm half deaf :tearsofjoy:

Mostly sight here. I like to hunt over water in the swamp and damp ground is impossible to hear them. I usually see the ripples in the water long before I hear them unless they’re in a hurry to get somewhere. Dry ground with leaf litter is about 50/50

Sight everytime. My hearing sucks haven't heard a songbird in years. Should be getting implants next summer hope it helps

Back