• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silencing EW0 climbing sticks

Jammintree

SH Member
I just picked up a set of EWO climbing sticks. They are not the current ultralight package, but are very nice and weigh about 2 lbs per stick. When unpackaging I noticed immediately that they easily ring and need some silencing. My initial thought was to add some camo tape around the tube in the area where the corresponding standoffs cradle it when stacked. However tolerances are so precise that even the factory paint job makes the fit tighter. I don’t think camo tape would fit / would immediately get crushed. I’ve also considered filling the tube with spay foam as I’ve heard others use this method. What have y’all found to work? Have you found good ways to modify your sticks for silence? I don’t wanna add a ton of weight, I’m already wishing they were a little bit lighter.

I’ve also contemplated drilling some holes in my sticks to reduce the weight. I’ve seen it successfully done with these sticks and EWO themselves have been doing it to the newer model. But I’d like to hear from users with firsthand experience before I do anything.

Yes, I believe the stealth strip made it a snug fit, but I preferred that anyway. I’ll have to double check next time I’m over there.
Mine have been camo dipped and look awesome, so I hate to wrap them, but silence beats pretty any day. Thanks for the help. Now I just need to decide if I should try and give them a little weight relief.

Mine have been camo dipped and look awesome, so I hate to wrap them, but silence beats pretty any day. Thanks for the help. Now I just need to decide if I should try and give them a little weight relief.
If you’re gonna wrap them fully & possibly drill them , why don’t you see if @DanO will swap out for raw tubes??

If you’re gonna wrap them fully & possibly drill them , why don’t you see if @DanO will swap out for raw tubes??
Interesting idea. Do you think he would do that on a well used pair full of scratched off camo paint?

if the paint is making them tight, then stealth strips is going to be worse

i've seen folks but a piece of wrestling mat material (or similar) on a stick so that the other does not fully nest but instead rides against the mat material. is this a possibility? if so, then you could likely stealth strip the sticks however you'd like and then use something to adjust how far they nest together...this would also quiet stick to stick slap and you might not have to offset it very much, even 1/8" might work

Sorry I misunderstood, thought they were new. Go ahead & mod away…. If I was gonna drill holes I’d probably just grab beast sticks….

I like these sticks and can definitely work with them to make them just right for my perceived needs. I’m undecided on the need to drill holes; it’s possible I’m just dreaming up things to do related to hunting because I’m currently layed up by an injury and have time on my hands, which is something I’m not accustomed to.

if the paint is making them tight, then stealth strips is going to be worse

i've seen folks but a piece of wrestling mat material (or similar) on a stick so that the other does not fully nest but instead rides against the mat material. is this a possibility? if so, then you could likely stealth strip the sticks however you'd like and then use something to adjust how far they nest together...this would also quiet stick to stick slap and you might not have to offset it very much, even 1/8" might work

yes, the paint does make them tight and I agree, adding stealth strips in those spots won’t work. But I like the idea of padding the face of the stick. That coupled with wrapping the rest of the stick may do the trick. These sticks have amazing resonance; if I ever retire them, they would make excellent windchimes.

I like these sticks and can definitely work with them to make them just right for my perceived needs. I’m undecided on the need to drill holes; it’s possible I’m just dreaming up things to do related to hunting because I’m currently layed up by an injury and have time on my hands, which is something I’m not accustomed to.

if you know the thickness of the tube walls, diameter of the holes you'll drill, number of holes, and density of aluminum....you can estimate how much weight you'll save by drilling and see if it's worth it

if you don't like math, post that info here and I'll calculate it for you

if you know the thickness of the tube walls, diameter of the holes you'll drill, number of holes, and density of aluminum....you can estimate how much weight you'll save by drilling and see if it's worth it

That’s very generous of you! I’ll do some figuring later today and get back to you.

Specs , would need length holes are 1/2”-5/8”

Specs , would need length holes are 1/2”-5/8”

so, if holes are 1/2", let's say, then the spacing between them would be 1/2" also since the holes on the contiguous side are staggered?

so, if holes are 1/2", let's say, then the spacing between them would be 1/2" also since the holes on the contiguous side are staggered?
If your copying beast sticks the holes are every 1” OC, that gives you a 1/2” difference b/w the 2 planes….. if that makes any sense

Back