• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silencing hardware?

justsomedude

I have an Aerohunter
I just ordered a few strips of Stealth Strip.

I have Ranger Bands stretched around the larger metal buckles and had wrapped the small ones in camo Gorilla Tape.
I cover parts of my carabiners with camo tape.
Going to find some heat shrink for that.
Will likely replace at least some of the tape with Stealth Strip when it comes in.

Any one use heat shrink on the small buckles on the Saddle?

Any tips on how to quiet down the Paws?
Quieting the parts AROUND the paws makes huge difference.

Really thick heat shrink might work great, let me know how that goes. It would be similar to the bike inner tube on the lone wolf stick's cam buckles.

I am working on some thoughts for the paws. I was thinking about taking them off, making a small tight cloth bag and sealing them in it, and then just cutting holes to feed the straps through.

My local hardware store (small place) had ONE 1/2"x6" Heat Shrink for $2.25.
It was just large enough to go on my Large locking Carabiner and leave the bottom part (and the lock) bare.
Wasn't easy to put on. Would have been much easier on a regular size carabiner.

I found some old Camoform Cloth tape. The reusable/removable stuff.
I wrapped the Paws in it leaving the main strap part bare.
I think it will work pretty well. I have Binos that I wrapped a few years ago and it doesn't fall off.
The Paws definitely doesn't "RING" now if you hit them together.
And I can still adjust my Bridge.

Your idea could work great.
I wonder if you could just do a pretty loose wrap of Fleece and just tie it on leaving openings for the straps.
I have some padded "Lens Wraps" http://www.tenba.com/Products/Messenger ... Black.aspx for photography that are self wrapping padded squares. I'll see if that works. Will make a little velcro noise if you remove them though.

Here is my current setup

Attachments

• PawWrap.JPG
    PawWrap.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,211
Another note...

I picked up a SPRAY can of Plasti-Dip to experiment on some climbing sticks.
It does create a very slight build up but for our purposes it was a waste of $7.
Was hoping I could just spray the buckles/hooks on my sticks and call it a day (I've done 5 coats).

That camoform cloth looks like it might work pretty good. I have some of that too, I may try that out tonight (I am taking the day off from hunting today :eek: ) If I get a chance I will also try out my little bag idea.

I like the plasti-dip but I guess its not the best. I had a can to dip it in and I did some of the cranford rope steps. It was a thick layer and it dulled the noise well, but it added a lot of weight to them.

I just did a couple of test hangs/climbs.
NO CLANKING!

The Camoform didn't interfere with the top bridge or straps and I was still able to adjust bridge length.

justsomedude said:
I just did a couple of test hangs/climbs.
NO CLANKING!

The Camoform didn't interfere with the top bridge or straps and I was still able to adjust bridge length.

Awesome! I didn't get to work on that tonight but I will take a look at it when I get a chance.

justsomedude said:
Another note...

It does create a very slight build up but for our purposes it was a waste of $7.
Was hoping I could just spray the buckles/hooks on my sticks and call it a day (I've done 5 coats).

I tried the spray stuff on one stick as well. Didn't work for me either. I ended up putting bike tubes on each of my other sticks. Had to remove all of the hardware on my LW's and drill out the holes before reassembling but worth it. Keeps stacking quiet and improves grip while climbing.

c h r i s said:
justsomedude said:
Another note...

I tried the spray stuff on one stick as well. Didn't work for me either. I ended up putting bike tubes on each of my other sticks. Had to remove all of the hardware on my LW's and drill out the holes before reassembling but worth it. Keeps stacking quiet and improves grip while climbing.

That is a good idea, I haven't seen anyone do the bike tube on the whole stick yet, just the cam buckles. I am using the stealth strips for the lone wolf sticks and they work great. They have a set designed specifically for them. http://www.stealthoutdoors.com/product-category/stealth-strips/

I tried out the camo form on the climb paws and really like it. I'll see how it holds up on a hunt.
2805c7be763b8db3fb134edbc1854e52.jpg

I use amersistep rapid rails. I filled them with spray foam and that has helped. Maybe I could glue some strips of tire on for when I want to use the whole set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you guys ever try the plastidip in a can. it coats very thick. I plan to try it.

I used the dip on a tree step one time. Notice I said a step. Way too messy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foam works pretty good on the hollow steps. Has anyone tried rhino lining or something to that effect?

DIYSaddler said:
Foam works pretty good on the hollow steps. Has anyone tried rhino lining or something to that effect?
I thought about this too

Never tried the plasti dip in the can, but use the spray stuff on my bows. It does nothing to quiet down contact noise, but removes any shine and gives "limited" scratch protection. The stuff in the can seems like it would work better on things like carabiners.

kenn1320 said:
Never tried the plasti dip in the can, but use the spray stuff on my bows. It does nothing to quiet down contact noise, but removes any shine and gives "limited" scratch protection. The stuff in the can seems like it would work better on things like carabiners.

I don't know that I would paint a biner... You might leave a loop hole for the company if the device fails.

DIYSaddler said:
kenn1320 said:

I don't know that I would paint a biner... You might leave a loop hole for the company if the device fails.

After I hit the ground, who cares?

Back