• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silent Approach climbing system

AdamDSmith

Got mine last week sometime. I think they're going to be the ticket with some practice. I managed to get to hunting height with them one day last week. There definitely is learning curve but I feel like I was prepared from watching videos. What's everyone's take on them?

Got mine last week sometime. I think they're going to be the ticket with some practice. I managed to get to hunting height with them one day last week. There definitely is learning curve but I feel like I was prepared from watching videos. What's everyone's take on them?

I got mine last week. I'm using 5 for a ROS. I'm considering getting a full set for climbing as an alternative to sticks when going in deep.

I bought 5 SA steps to use as a ROS but was playing with them this weekend to see how I like them for a potential climbing method. When I ordered them I chose the 5 steps with straps knowing I was gonna replace the straps with a strap and OCB from Eastern Woods. Since I had 5 steps with the straps I wanted to check them out climbing.... I like 'em! A lot. With 5 steps I got to 11' (I'm 6'3" so I have a long step spacing). After playing with them this weekend, I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the 10 step set and using them this year in place of sticks. My only complaint is the bag is cheaply made and the zippers are junk. If I go with these as my primary climbing method, I'll be using a different bag.

They are my primary climbing method. I agree the pouches suck....good idea just not made well. I ditched the inserts and ran them last year till they started to fall apart. I am using the bag that came with my kestrel to haul them now and works pretty well and fits in my pack. I have 14 steps and can get plenty high enough.

Still thinking about buying a set. Will either use them as my ROS or will cut up my ameristeps to use as ROS and use them as my climbing merhod. Which way do you prefer the SA steps?

Still thinking about buying a set. Will either use them as my ROS or will cut up my ameristeps to use as ROS and use them as my climbing merhod. Which way do you prefer the SA steps?

I think they'll be great for a ROS. I only messed around with the ROS at ground height in the backyard so far though. First thoughts: the OCB buckle is a game changer... way better than the typical buckle. I watched @Nutterbuster video on how to get the OCB tight with a ROS and it helped.. had no problem getting them tight enough. They "settle" a bit as you move around the tree but not bad and once they settled in they didn't move anymore. Like I said, I liked them so much in the ROS set-up that I ended up putting them back on their individual straps and playing with them to climb. I like 'em man! They'll definitely be my ROS this year. One concern: If they're in the bag loose, they clank together and are noisy so they'll either need to be packed tightly or silenced somehow. They also don't stack or roll together very well when on the same strap for a ROS. The Squirrel steps look like they'd pack together better. I've never tried squirrel steps so I can't compare the two yet.... eventually I'll pick some up. If I end up with Squirrel steps as my ROS, I'll just add the 5 SA steps to my climbing set.

I think they'll be great for a ROS. I only messed around with the ROS at ground height in the backyard so far though. First thoughts: the OCB buckle is a game changer... way better than the typical buckle. I watched @Nutterbuster video on how to get the OCB tight with a ROS and it helped.. had no problem getting them tight enough. They "settle" a bit as you move around the tree but not bad and once they settled in they didn't move anymore. Like I said, I liked them so much in the ROS set-up that I ended up putting them back on their individual straps and playing with them to climb. I like 'em man! They'll definitely be my ROS this year. One concern: If they're in the bag loose, they clank together and are noisy so they'll either need to be packed tightly or silenced somehow. They also don't stack or roll together very well when on the same strap for a ROS. The Squirrel steps look like they'd pack together better. I've never tried squirrel steps so I can't compare the two yet.... eventually I'll pick some up. If I end up with Squirrel steps as my ROS, I'll just add the 5 SA steps to my climbing set.
Yep. The squirrel steos look awesome but just cant justify the purchase this year. Saddle put me back a little . Lol. But super excited about it...

Yep. The squirrel steos look awesome but just cant justify the purchase this year. Saddle put me back a little . Lol. But super excited about it...

Completely understand. That's why I went with the SA steps to see if I like using a ROS before spending the $ on the squirrel steps. Everyone I've heard from that's tried both say they prefer the squirrel steps though so if I still like the ROS after hunting with it for a while, I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting some Squirrels.

I've got the Silent Approach 10-step set in my cart right now.... about to hit "checkout." haha.

Completely understand. That's why I went with the SA steps to see if I like using a ROS before spending the $ on the squirrel steps. Everyone I've heard from that's tried both say they prefer the squirrel steps though so if I still like the ROS after hunting with it for a while, I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting some Squirrels.

I've got the Silent Approach 10-step set in my cart right now.... about to hit "checkout." haha.
Good luck... let me know the turn around time till you get your order...

Was playing with the SA steps again today. I put the strap and OCB from my ROS on a step... SOLID. Much better than the cam buckle straps that came with the SA steps. I'm thinking now of ordering a set of 10 SA steps and 10 strap/OCB from DanO. That would put the total at $230. To just go ahead and buy 10 squirrel steps, straps, and OCB would only be about $100 more.... I'm on the fence trying to decide which steps to go with.

Last edited:
Was playing with the SA steps again today. I put the strap and OCB from my EOS on a step... SOLID. Much better than the cam buckle straps that came with the SA steps. I'm thinking now of ordering a set of 10 SA steps and 10 strap/OCB from DanO. That would put the total at $230. To just go ahead and buy 10 squirrel steps, straps, and OCB would only be about $100 more.... I'm on the fence trying to decide which steps to go with.

I'm did exactly the same. I have SA steps and squirrel steps ROS on OCB.

I'm only looking to use 3 more steps to serve in place of aiders between LW sticks. I hated the SA steps on cam buckle. I liked how the SA steps were on the OCB. I ordered 3 straps with OCB. I toyed around with using the SA steps with the OCB but I dont like how the strap goes thru the "corner"...also the squirrel steps are smaller. So I decided to go and order 3 more squirrel steps. I can really get them locked down with the OCB.

I'm not sure if I'd do the same if I needed 10 instead 3....the SA steps aren't bad with the OCB and they are light....

This is what I replaced the bag with that came with the SA steps with. I ran a carabinerD74043F8-B297-4966-BD5C-C2E24F95701B.jpegCB40341B-EDCF-45A9-8241-F9AED8216145.jpeg through the molle loops to hang them with. I carry them in my pack.

Attachments

• 57D02CD5-1178-4547-BA85-4829EA45E284.jpeg
    57D02CD5-1178-4547-BA85-4829EA45E284.jpeg
    745.1 KB · Views: 36
how close are the SA steps to the squirrel steps on an OCB as a ring of steps? i want to use a ring of just 4 steps, but this is a "trial" period for me. not sure i want to take the hit of buying squirrels just to see if i like them. i understand the squirrels are the superior step, I was just wondering if the silent approach are worthwhile ring of steps that can get me by. I will be using the OCB, which I already got from DanO

Back