• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silent Approach Steps

ThumbsMcGee

Today was a first for three things: Scouting local WMA, using the Tethrd Mantis & Predator Platform, and using the Silent Approach Steps. This post will be reviewing the latter.

The steps in their cases fit very nice around my waist over the saddle. Upon pulling them out of their cases, you must leave 6 straps dangling in the air, which isn’t bad but it is annoying.

Strapping them to the tree was a bit time consuming at first. I initially wished my sister bought me the lone wolf sticks for Xmas, but the steps were 2nd on my list to Santa. (And the sticks were out of stock...) After strapping the third step I started to get the hang of the cam-buckles.

One thing I’ve heard complaints on but I didn’t experience was the steps flipping over while climbing. These steps are sturdy as a rock. I felt really confident in their stability both ascending & descending.

Overall, I’m gonna continue practicing with them to get faster. I can definitely see issues wearing gloves and putting the straps through the buckles in the future.

Pros:
- they wear great around the waist & are light weight
- you don’t need to carry on your back
- Great stability
- Pretty silent process

Cons:
- Time consuming to strap each step on
- I don’t know what to do with the dangling strap after it’s on
- cold weather with gloves will make routing the straps through the buckle difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. I have WE steps but I have only used them once (for tree stand not saddle) and was not real fond of using them. I have been thinking of alternatives.
Have you used other climbing methods for saddle hunting?
Could you compare? Sounds like you wanted the lone wolf sticks instead?

Thanks for the review. I have WE steps but I have only used them once (for tree stand not saddle) and was not real fond of using them. I have been thinking of alternatives.

This was my first time strapping a saddle on. I have nothing to compare with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you looking to sell the WE stepps?

Have not decided yet, have to figure out an alternative first. If I do I will do so on SH.com.

Back