• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silent Approach Steps

I'm new to saddle hunting this year, have half a dozen sits in the Kestrel now. I'm using a set of Silent Approach steps for climbing, and also 6 of the same steps (I got from @Jefferson10940) on a boat buckle strap for a ring of steps. Anyone else using this setup? It's lightweight obviously but not the fastest for getting up and down, but I've shaved a lot of time off by now. I think I'm down to 12-15 minutes for ascending and descending by now. I want to try some wild edge steps with aiders by next season but think I'll stick with this setup for now. Most of my hunts are going back a 3/4 mile or more on public marshes and such, so weight is a big factor. I'm liking the ring of steps though. I'm a skinny guy, 5'11 and 170, and I find the steps get tight enough where they don't hardly move.

IMO there are far better ways to get in a tree then individual strap on steps..... my Silent Approach Steps are still in the box they came in after trying them as a platform.

Certainly there are climbing methods that would be faster to ascend and descend, but it all depends on what you value the most. If 12-15 minutes up a tree is acceptable to you and you value the packability of the silent approach steps since you hike a long way in, then stick with them. If the most important thing is that you want to be faster up the tree, then look at buying some sticks. If you want something in between then maybe stepps and aider/knaider/swaider would work for you.

Bottom line - there’s nothing wrong with your climbing method if it works for you. There’s nothing wrong with trying new methods too, if you want to find your perfect setup....

I'm new to saddle hunting this year, have half a dozen sits in the Kestrel now. I'm using a set of Silent Approach steps for climbing, and also 6 of the same steps (I got from @Jefferson10940) on a boat buckle strap for a ring of steps. Anyone else using this setup? It's lightweight obviously but not the fastest for getting up and down, but I've shaved a lot of time off by now. I think I'm down to 12-15 minutes for ascending and descending by now. I want to try some wild edge steps with aiders by next season but think I'll stick with this setup for now. Most of my hunts are going back a 3/4 mile or more on public marshes and such, so weight is a big factor. I'm liking the ring of steps though. I'm a skinny guy, 5'11 and 170, and I find the steps get tight enough where they don't hardly move.

Since you already have the steps, try using red's aider technique. Essentially, use your tether or a tether girth hitched around the tree, with a loop of some sort around one foot. Hang one step the height of two of your strides up tree. Girth hitch the tether and step up into it (use a linemans belt), then step onto your other step. Move tether up so that both feet are level and tighten linemans, hang next step two strides up, rinse and repeat. You'll knock the weight in half, and probably cut 2-3 minutes going up. I like strap on steps, and this method, on a tree with no branches. I haven't figured out how to speed up unhooking tether to go over branches yet.

Since you already have the steps, try using red's aider technique. Essentially, use your tether or a tether girth hitched around the tree, with a loop of some sort around one foot. Hang one step the height of two of your strides up tree. Girth hitch the tether and step up into it (use a linemans belt), then step onto your other step. Move tether up so that both feet are level and tighten linemans, hang next step two strides up, rinse and repeat. You'll knock the weight in half, and probably cut 2-3 minutes going up. I like strap on steps, and this method, on a tree with no branches. I haven't figured out how to speed up unhooking tether to go over branches yet.

Have you considered a screw link for more rapidly removing tether and moving it above a branch? Pros and cons, I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, with SA steps, a swaider type of deal might work. If you see how Redsquirrel used them in that saddlepalooza video.

Search thread title: saddletv on hold

Have you considered a screw link for more rapidly removing tether and moving it above a branch? Pros and cons, I am sure.

That’s where I landed, just haven’t tried it yet. Bought the smallest one I could for this purpose.

Actually, with SA steps, a swaider type of deal might work. If you see how Redsquirrel used them in that saddlepalooza video.

I was at 15’ in less than 4 minutes the first time I tried it. No branches, but it’s fast as sticks or stepps with aiders

Hmmm, I assumed aiders weren’t an option with strap on steps. That’s what’s awesome about this site. Someone’s always able to figure out a way to DIY something lol. Looks like I need to do a little more research.

Sounds like you have a good system worked out. Your not going to get too much faster but it’s always fun to tinker and try new things. I’m glad to see you’re liking a ring of steps!

The swaider might work. I think the benefit of the red squirrel aider is like said above you can move the aider up and be standing on both feet while attaching the next step. @redsquirrel also attached a continuous loop to the step straps. A knaider may work with that setup.

Using Silent Approach too. Not after speed just ease of use and safety. Still having problems lining everything up on the ring of steps and ratchet though. With heavy strap and ratchet I got no movement trying it close to ground. I'm 6 foot 215 pounds.

I'm assuming you need a ropeman to move the aider up easily, as opposed to a regular prusik knot?

I'm assuming you need a ropeman to move the aider up easily, as opposed to a regular prusik knot?

You don’t have to move it necessarily. Yes that’s a big advantage and gets you more height and makes it easier to use for some people. But if you just set the length of the aider, and where you girth hitch on the tree to match one stride, and put the step two strides up, all good.

I would start with setting the step twice the distance to the bottom of your knee cap. And then practice. Stretch the distance as long as you feel comfortable.

Sounds like you have a good system worked out. Your not going to get too much faster but it’s always fun to tinker and try new things. I’m glad to see you’re liking a ring of steps!
What material did you use to attach loops to the silent approach straps for attaching an aider to the silent approach straps in the saddlepalooza video?

What material did you use to attach loops to the silent approach straps for attaching an aider to the silent approach straps in the saddlepalooza video?
Just a climbing runner girth hitched to the strap. I don't like how it compressed the strap though. I'd like to find a better way.

Back