• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silent Wild Edge Aider Attachment

ricky racer

Aug 8, 2016
Niles/Buchanan, MI
I've read several posts regarding using an aider with a Wild Edge style step. There are posts about how to silence your carabiner so it doesn't make a metallic clink on the step. There are posts about how to reduce the biner from sliding on the rung leaving it off center and side loading the step.
I know there are a lot of different types and styles of aiders but if you are using something like Carl's Versa Straps there is a way to attach it to the Wild Edge style steps that is completely silent. Simply clip your carabiner through a loop in the Versa Strap about 6"- 8" below the end loop. Loop the end loop over the WE rung and bring it down and clip it to the carabiner. This will create a soft connection on the WE step which will not make any noise and will be less likely to slide like the metal on metal contact will.

Versa Strap WE.jpg

Versa Strap WE 2.jpg

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Mar 19, 2018
Cato Arkansas
I don't see a way of moving this to another step as you ascend. I guess you would need one for each step.
I’m using a five step aider with a biner. This should be no different
I place both feet on the corners of the step while squatting and reach down and unclip it from the step. Then I hook it on my saddle, then stand up while adjusting my lineman’s belt. Then I set my next step at about head level, hook the aider to that step and climb. It’s not difficult but does take practice

Reactions: Exiled in MD

predatorhunter

Aug 14, 2018
Central Virginia
I’m using a five step aider with a biner. This should be no different
I place both feet on the corners of the step while squatting and reach down and unclip it from the step. Then I hook it on my saddle, then stand up while adjusting my lineman’s belt. Then I set my next step at about head level, hook the aider to that step and climb. It’s not difficult but does take practice

True, I was thinking about the methods I have seen where the biner is open and has a "pull" up rope to keep someone from bending over or squatting down.

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Mar 19, 2018
Cato Arkansas
True, I was thinking about the methods I have seen where the biner is open and has a "pull" up rope to keep someone from bending over or squatting down.
For me I don’t trust an open biner, especially with a multi step aider. I want no chance of it coming off the step till I take it off

Exiled in MD

May 30, 2018
Maryland
So what I did to prevent bending all they way down was I placed my first WE steppe around my chest. Then I connected my 5 step aider to my tether and placed that as high as I could reach. I moved the tether as I went up. Seemed to work ok. To each their own.

Stanlew

Nov 15, 2018
Why I see this after I made knaider and swaider and order wild edge steps. Now I need to buy more stuff. I mean it’s fine because buying stuff stimulates the economy, and I’m a red blooded American who loves to stimulate the economy, but 6 weeks! If I see something more for wild edge a month before season I’m boned. At least this way there 8 months till hunting season.