• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silvio Russo Killing Giant Whitetails

Silvio

Last edited:
Hello guys,
Here's a podcast for you I hope you will enjoy....the guys from Exodus recorded this a couple weeks ago with me in Michigan and plenty of buck hunting strategies discussed...feel free to ask a question
Watch "Perry Russo: Killing Giant Bucks on East Winds" on YouTube
May the Magic of the Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life
Silvio
@Silvio - Great podcast - thanks for sharing your knowledge & experience!

Terrific interview and information Silvio. Thank you so much for sharing. It was an honor meeting you virtually!!! I really like the old school references about how you got your start in hunting and woodsmanship. You were a pheasant hunter, I cut my teeth on squirrels and grouse here in the east we didn't have any natural pheasants the state had to release them every year in designated areas. My first Black Squirrel I ever shot I mounted and still have that mount to this day. Learned a lot by walking in the woods, waiting and being patient and becoming one with the environment. I did it by myself so did my buddies we would just get home from school, grab the gun during season and go squirrel or rabbit or grouse hunting. There was a bit of competition too about who got the first Black squirrel or how many Fox squirrels or rabbits. That needs to come back. That's real time entertainment in my opinion. I feel bad for the kids who don't have close access to rural areas to learn these basic skills anymore. Great stuff.

Terrific interview and information Silvio. Thank you so much for sharing. It was an honor meeting you virtually!!! I really like the old school references about how you got your start in hunting and woodsmanship. You were a pheasant hunter, I cut my teeth on squirrels and grouse here in the east we didn't have any natural pheasants the state had to release them every year in designated areas. My first Black Squirrel I ever shot I mounted and still have that mount to this day. Learned a lot by walking in the woods, waiting and being patient and becoming one with the environment. I did it by myself so did my buddies we would just get home from school, grab the gun during season and go squirrel or rabbit or grouse hunting. There was a bit of competition too about who got the first Black squirrel or how many Fox squirrels or rabbits. That needs to come back. That's real time entertainment in my opinion. I feel bad for the kids who don't have close access to rural areas to learn these basic skills anymore. Great stuff.
Thank you very much...like yourself I small game hunted..and would grab my 22 or 20ga stevens and head to the woods. Its sad but they got our kids locked down with their thumbs...I believe video games have robbed these kids of common sense and mainly adventure. You know the adventure spirit we have as kids is certainly a value building asset later in life. Well I hope to do a couple of podcasts with these three young men in the future...it was a pleasure having them in our home (Cribbs) Exodus Trail Cameras...Jake, Cameron, Jeff

I was also glad to hear you reference Roger Rothaar's famous salutation in his book Whitetail Magic. You said their was only one person on this forum who knew where that was from. I think that was me!! I have his autographed book and we conversed about that in the past on this forum. BTW, I agree with your assessments about this forum, excellent people and the best hunting forum site there is..... indeed!!!

I was also glad to hear you reference Roger Rothaar's famous salutation in his book Whitetail Magic. You said their was only one person on this forum who knew where that was from. I think that was me!! I have his autographed book and we conversed about that in the past on this forum. BTW, I agree with your assessments about this forum, excellent people and the best hunting forum site there is..... indeed!!!
Yes, I remember our conversation...we are all blessed here, and I really mean it. You know the first thing they teach you in kindergarten is "Sharing" its one of the greatest virtues we all can live by. That's what makes this forum so refreshing...

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, although I plan on it. But there are at least two people on the forum that recognize Rothaar's salutation @Silvio :)

I have both Whitetail Magic and In pursuit of Trophy Whitetails. Both excellent books. I know you knew Roger personally. It's ashame that some of the older guys like him, the Wensel brothers and Bobby Worthington don't seem to get the recognition I think they deserve for laying the groundwork for a lot of what others teach today.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, although I plan on it. But there are at least two people on the forum that recognize Rothaar's salutation @Silvio :)

I have both Whitetail Magic and In pursuit of Trophy Whitetails. Both excellent books. I know you knew Roger personally. It's ashame that some of the older guys like him, the Wensel brothers and Bobby Worthington don't seem to get the recognition I think they deserve for laying the groundwork for a lot of what others teach today.
I have Bobby Worthington's great book too learned a ton from him. He used to write for North American Whitetail I believe. What happened to him???

I totally agree...I mention in the podcast that I'm just a by-product of the old school deer hunter. I know that many of my teachings have been hijacked from time to time...but I'm always going to be humble and give credit where credit is due. Rodger was totally wronged by the Ohio DNR as well as disowned by the hunting industry. He wasn't in the club, but they all seemed to steal his thunder once he couldn't get a deer story printed NAW and the like. A common laymen that had incredible hunting skills...Well lets just say us older guys respect the truth...

Back