• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Simple kestrel flex review

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Wanted to post a straight to the point review. Won't be long winded but if you have any questions just ask. For the record I've never owned a regular kestrel. The flex is my first. I own a mantis and have hunted out of trophylines for years and my wife has a kite.

Flex being reviewed: kestrel flex size 2 with adjustable webbing bridge.

My dimensions: 5'11 / 203lbs /34 inch waist

Pros:
Well built (usual aero hunter quality)
Lightweight (perceived)
Comfortable (adjustability with flex option)
Leg straps (positioned better IMO)
Adjustable webbing bridge (see below)

Cons:
Price (250.00 for saddle only)
Flex option (not as flexible in sizing as I thought)
Minor noise (cordura material)
Probably doesn't breathe at all.

While wearing the flex it seems lightweight and unintrusive. It is comfortable to wear and to walk with while wearing. The raptor buckles produce a minor clank that I will remedy with either stealth strips or a rubberized coating. Not a big deal to me and somewhat expected. The leg straps on the flex vs the kite seem night and day different. On my wife's kite the leg straps crush my nuts to the point that I'd have to have them very loose to be able to stand wearing it. The leg straps on the flex fit much better because the top connection point seems a bit lower. My flex has the adjustable webbing bridge and I am so glad I went with that option. The bridge length adjusts from 40 inches down to too small to function. This is great for me because when I sit I like a 24" bridge and when I lean I like a 30 or so. Super easy to adjust on the fly and the slider seems very strong and grabs very hard. No cause for concern at all and doesn't interfere with bridge function. In my opinion the flex option will be loved or hated depending on the individual. Initially I thought you'd be able to somewhat size the saddle by manipulating the flex option to the size that fits you best(not elongated, half elongated, or fully elongated). This is not the case. You pretty much have two options all the way closed or all the way open. When walking it does not stay all the way closed but doesn't sag either. If you like tight leg straps especially while walking it will open the flex pleat. What I do like about the flex option is when you sit you can pull the saddle further down your legs and eliminate the under the butt pressure point all together. Kind of feels like your sitting in a hammock and doesn't interfere while leaning. It is VERY comfortable. The cordura in the seat is super thin and the inside is lined with something that looks like it's gonna be hot in the southern bow season heat. I can live with it. All in all I am pretty happy with it and plan on hunting out of it all through the upcoming season. Hope this can help those out who are in the fence. Any questions just ask.

You feel like you made the right choice on size?

Actually yes. That's a good point. So with the flex option I probably could fit into a size one and it would probably fit like a regular saddle as long as the flex pleat is elongated at all times. But with the size two I can walk and wear it like a regular saddle with the pleat closed and when I want to sit in the tree I can expand the pleat and it's super comfortable

I ordered the size 1, 35ish waist. May change it. I had a size 2 kite and felt it was too big. Ugh! Buy both right!

I ordered the size 1, 35ish waist. May change it. I had a size 2 kite and felt it was too big. Ugh! Buy both right!

You may be ok then. The kite I have is a size 2 and fits me fine. I think either size is doable just depends on how many options you want with the flex pleat

Good review! I feel the same about everything you said. I hope that inner material isn't to hot in the early season. It definitely has a rubber/plastic feel to it. I'm on the line between sizes and am glad I went with the size 2. Fixed any problems I had with my size 1 kestrel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good points! I will add the coating is basically a waterproof type coating I have seen on other cordura fabrics. It will not breathe well, but I did not notice much heat retention while testing mine. I refuse to deer hunt unless it is below 60 degrees so a non-factor for me. I have also seen this wear off other garments in the past. The noise others referred to with the material is not really possible while wearing the saddle and no concern in the woods - the external surface is no different than a kestrel.

John H.

After messing around with the flex a lot more I think I'm going to mod the flex option. I don't like how easily it expands when wearing or walking. The only time I want it expanded really is when I am sitting. I ordered some milspec elastic and will take it to a sew shop so that it only expands when sitting and contracts back when no pressure is applied

Last edited:
After messing around with the flex a lot more I think I'm going to mod the flex option. I don't like how easily it expands when wearing or walking. The only time I want it expanded really is when I am sitting. I ordered some milspec elastic and will take it to a sew shop so that it only expands when sitting and contracts back when no pressure is applied

Still waiting on mine ordered the 18th email says I will have it by June 28th. This post scares me lol I was worried about it flexing open while walking. Even sent them an email asking that exact question and they told me it wouldn’t.. I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the flex compare to the mantis? I have the mantis and can’t decide if I want to order the flex to test the difference.

How does the flex compare to the mantis? I have the mantis and can’t decide if I want to order the flex to test the difference.

Two totally different saddles. Mantis is not uncomfortable to sit in but the flex is way more comfortable than the mantis. The mantis is easier to wear while walking but both are not really an issue. Unless you like straps hanging everywhere you'll have to add webbing retainers to the mantis and if your not a fan of the G hooks on the leg straps you'll have to replace those as well. The mantis is a good saddle but I had to heavily mod mine to be really happy with it. Just depends on your personal preferences. If I had to choose between the mantis and the flex I would choose the flex hands down but that's just me. When I compare the two I feel that I got a lot more for my money with the flex and will have to modify the flex a lot less than my mantis to be happy with it. Honestly for me the flex is perfect minus the flex pleat not staying closed. But that's a small issue for me and easily fixed. It functions fine the way it is, I am just really picky when it comes to my gear. The quality of the flex and aero hunter saddles in general feel like they will last a lifetime. The mantis does not in my opinion. It is not as heavily built. My mantis is way less than a year old and already shows a lot of signs of wear in various parts of the webbing. I have burned off fraying areas many times. That is from normal use. I don't abuse my gear or leave it outside. These are just my opinions and experiences

Im in the same boat size wise hoping mine fits well
I have a 36 waist. I went size 2... Why... I have a gut above my 36 waist... I have no butt and wide hips... So sizing up is usually better for me. We are all different. But I expect I could have went either size with a flex.

I have a 36 waist. I went size 2... Why... I have a gut above my 36 waist... I have no butt and wide hips... So sizing up is usually better for me. We are all different. But I expect I could have went either size with a flex.

Yes you probably could. To make it simpler to understand the sizing for those who have never touched one I would consider a size 1 more like a size 1.5 and a size 2 more like a 2.5 or 3. They expand pretty far. My flex is actually at the sew shop right now being modified to make it perfect to me. The size 2 gets pretty big which is awesome in the tree but not so good while walking. So I bought some heavy duty elastic and took it to the sew shop. The modification I came up with will let it expand when I am sitting and stay contracted while walking. Kind of get the best of both worlds. The sew job is only costing me 20 bucks. It'll be ready Saturday. It will pretty much make it function like I thought it would, keeping the pleat closed when not needed. All that being said, I think I made the right choice with a size 2. In my opinion I would rather have a saddle with some extra room rather than too small. Where I live, the temp changes drastically by the day. It's pretty annoying. But with the extra room I know I can wear whatever I need to and not have an issue.

Im in the same boat size wise hoping mine fits well

I'm just going to quit worrying about it until it arrives. There's too many reviews having both sizes that like that size. The part that I guess confuses me is why do all companies have a size change around 35"? Seems like one of the most common sizes out there. Why do clothing manufacturers switch to a 2" jump starting at size 34??

Back