• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Simple solution to keep feathers dry

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
Some of you guys might have already thought of this but, it didn’t occur to me until I was in CO this fall.

I was using a ziplock bag over my feathers until one afternoon I was pulling my rain suit out of my stuff suck and it hit me. Duhh….
IMG_2812.jpeg
IMG_2813.jpeg

Not quite as waterproof as a ziplock bag but stays on much better.

Nice, if used fletching covers and am not a fan. I’ve used the Bohning powder with some success but I assume that stuff isn’t good to breathe in and I see some powder come off when shooting. I’ve been using the Ozark Water Poof liquid this year and have been very happy with it.

I just let mine get wet....should I not do that? I haven't seen a difference in accuracy and they dry out and go back to normal. It's a compound bow if that really matters.

Some of you guys might have already thought of this but, it didn’t occur to me until I was in CO this fall.

I was using a ziplock bag over my feathers until one afternoon I was pulling my rain suit out of my stuff suck and it hit me. Duhh….
View attachment 92883
View attachment 92884

Not quite as waterproof as a ziplock bag but stays on much better.
that would work...until you need arrow real quick (too much movement). I have been you unscented spray waterproof to coat feathers-works GREAT and sheds an moisture. spray light coat/dry/spay 2nd coat... also as mention: Ozark Water Poof liquid this year and have been very happy with it. Never had issues with my feather matting down. I shoot Matthews switchback LD 70lb since 1997.

I’ve almost bought a couple different sprays over the years but it’s so rare that I hunt in rain that I’ve never spent the money or taken the time.

Just don’t miss with the first arrow and you won’t need a second. ;)

I just let mine get wet....should I not do that? I haven't seen a difference in accuracy and they dry out and go back to normal. It's a compound bow if that really matters.
Historically, I’ve done the same but I had some in CO get so wet and matted this year they didn’t come back. They’re still pretty pathetic looking. The feather quality might make a difference on how they recover.

I had limited arrows and a forecasted week of rain so I had to get creative.

Historically, I’ve done the same but I had some in CO get so wet and matted this year they didn’t come back. They’re still pretty pathetic looking. The feather quality might make a difference on how they recover.

I had limited arrows and a forecasted week of rain so I had to get creative.
Have u ever steamed them over a boiling tea kettle ? Just hold wet feathers over the steam awhile.

I have silicone spray in the garage I use for waterproofing my motorcycle riding gear (not its intended usage according to label) that works on fletching too. I'd assume any sort of silicone spray will work and its fairly inexpensive with various uses. They make food grade silicone spray too if that's a concern. When it's dry, it's usually pretty scent free but test on your own before spraying all of your arrows.

I have silicone spray in the garage I use for waterproofing my motorcycle riding gear (not its intended usage according to label) that works on fletching too. I'd assume any sort of silicone spray will work and its fairly inexpensive with various uses. They make food grade silicone spray too if that's a concern. When it's dry, it's usually pretty scent free but test on your own before spraying all of your arrows.

I have some food grade I spray my meat grinder down with. I might have to give it a try.

A couple years back, I made some wet weather arrows using the AAE Trad Vanes. For me, they fly exactly the same as my feathered arrows, with 1 exception- in a strong cross wind, they deflect LESS than my feathered arrows, probably due to their smaller profile (I use the AAE Trad-26's, and my feathers are 5" Shield-cut.)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE feathers, & have a ton of arrows fletched with 'em, but if it's gonna be wet, I just fill the quiver with the Trad Vanes. Then it can rain all it wants to, & I know that my arrows will be fine.

Honestly, once I run out of my stock of feathers,(which is gonna take a while, :wink: ) I'll probably just use the Trad Vanes.IMG_0139.jpegIMG_0113.jpeg

Last edited:
Back in the day we all shot 5.5" Banana cut LW feathers. Most guys did. You had to control that big broadhead. I have continually dropped down is size to 2.5" Shield cuts. Those big Snuffers fly the same and the feathers don't get nearly so wet and matted.Resized_20231019_073852_8730.jpeg

Was out in the rain and wet brush for hours yesterday with arrows in my bow quiver. The water poof liquid seems to work just fine.

Nice.
I don’t hunt in the rain much anymore, but back when I didn’t care what the weather was doing, I used baby bottle liners on individual arrows. Worked pretty good. Just slipped it off when needed.

Nice.
I don’t hunt in the rain much anymore, but back when I didn’t care what the weather was doing, I used baby bottle liners on individual arrows. Worked pretty good. Just slipped it off when needed.
Baby bottle liners used to work for me when I used feathers. Just cut a hole for your nock to fit thru. Leave them on even when you shoot.
They fly off the arrow when you shoot never effecting flight. I use Trad vanes and don't mess with liners anymore. I personally don't like hunting in the rain. Tracking near impossible... unless you make a perfect shot in the rain, no worries

Back