• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Singer 417

benallgood

Does anyone have experience with this model sewing machine? I'm putting together a Sit Drag saddle, and didn't know if this would handle webbing. I have a speedy stitch coming, but remembered about this collecting dust. Before I try to get new needles and get it working, I wanted to check if anyone had experience with this one.1541704013239.png

Depends a lot on the webbing and how many layers you have. There are many different types of webbing and they vary in how tightly they are woven. Some sew very easily. Some require much more tension than any home machine can provide. I would almost guarantee you can make it work. The tension mechanism can also be modified to provide more tension. Then the motor is the weak link but you can assist it using the hand wheel.

I have a similar machine that handles multiple layers of webbing just fine. You can make it work if you can adjust the tension correctly. Once you get the tension on the machine set right don't mess with it. It can be a real headache. That machine should work.

I have a similar machine that handles multiple layers of webbing just fine. You can make it work if you can adjust the tension correctly. Once you get the tension on the machine set right don't mess with it. It can be a real headache. That machine should work.
Thanks. I got it working and added a belt to a Sit Drag. Going to give it a try next week.

Back