• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single step method?

Shane6491

Have any of you tried single WE step method with aider or JC K&S ? Been thinking about trying it. Figured I’d post on here first to see. Haven’t seen anything on it. Maybe bc it’s not worth doing it or it’s hard. What do y’all think?

I’ve thought the same thing. I would have tried it already but I don’t have a good tree to truly test without going somewhere. I don’t think it would much different than 1 sticking except potentially more movements up the tree. If anyone does try it I would love to see it. Maybe I can escape the family one day in the next week or so and go test it out.

Not sure how a single WE step method would work. I get the idea of using the aiders to get more from each step but once you got up on the step, having to untie to replace further up seem like it would be a headache unless I'm miss understanding your question.

I’ve thought the same thing. I would have tried it already but I don’t have a good tree to truly test without going somewhere. I don’t think it would much different than 1 sticking except potentially more movements up the tree. If anyone does try it I would love to see it. Maybe I can escape the family one day in the next week or so and go test it out.
Yeah same here no good tree to try it on here

Not sure how a single WE step method would work. I get the idea of using the aiders to get more from each step but once you got up on the step, having to untie to replace further up seem like it would be a headache unless I'm miss understanding your question.
I think going up would be easy wouldn’t have to retire going up in most trees just tighten knot. but like I said coming down getting it camed over mite be hard. I’m going to go over to the park here later today and try it out with the K&S.

This is all theoretical: In my mind I wouldn’t step up onto the actual step. I would hook the swaider and knaider. Moving my tether up after I’m hooked into knaider then sit down into saddle and unhook knaider. While keeping my swaider carabiner attached the whole time move my step from about stomach level to as as high as I can reach. Then back up with swaider and knaider and repeat. I wouldn’t have to remove step rope just loosen to move up and tighten up again before camping it over again. My other thought was to use the cam buck straps like a few have been trying lately for simpler loosening and tightening. Again all theoretical but wanting to try it even more now lol

Probably makes more sense in my head that trying to explain. If I get a chance to test it and if it works I will shoot a video to truly explain it.

I think going up would be easy wouldn’t have to retire going up in most trees just tighten knot. but like I said coming down getting it camed over mite be hard. I’m going to go over to the park here later today and try it out with the K&S.

Rappel down would be the only way I would try this.

Thanks for the input guys your thoughts about it are very similar to mine lol. I’ve been wanting to try it. Just haven’t had the time going to try here in a little if it don’t rain first.

Well I was able to get out and try it. I only went up ten ft. But was able to go up and back down. But basically did what you said aaronpaul14. Didn’t stand up on step just used K&S adjusted tether hung and moved step. Snapped back in with the K&S and repeated. I think with some practice it is doable. Also I believe repelling Down would be the best option but not necessary. If I can get someone to come film it I’ll get a video up of doing it. I am a new to all of this so kinda slow as it is climbing. But I think with practice this would be a super light way of climbing with one step at one pound.

Well I was able to get out and try it. I only went up ten ft. But was able to go up and back down. But basically did what you said aaronpaul14. Didn’t stand up on step just used K&S adjusted tether hung and moved step. Snapped back in with the K&S and repeated. I think with some practice it is doable. Also I believe repelling Down would be the best option but not necessary. If I can get someone to come film it I’ll get a video up of doing it. I am a new to all of this so kinda slow as it is climbing. But I think with practice this would be a super light way of climbing with one step at one pound.

Awesome!! Now I’m curios to try. Any idea how many moves to make it 20’?

I’m going to say 3 ft per move. So 6 moves. But honestly with practice with it could go more. I’m a rookie at this stuff so someone with more experience prob have no problem cutting that down some. I have literally climbed three times up to 20’ with my 4 steps use the last one on back side of platform. Also this is the first time I’ve tried one stepping. I honestly thought more people would have tried this already lol

This is all theoretical: In my mind I wouldn’t step up onto the actual step. I would hook the swaider and knaider. Moving my tether up after I’m hooked into knaider then sit down into saddle and unhook knaider. While keeping my swaider carabiner attached the whole time move my step from about stomach level to as as high as I can reach. Then back up with swaider and knaider and repeat. I wouldn’t have to remove step rope just loosen to move up and tighten up again before camping it over again. My other thought was to use the cam buck straps like a few have been trying lately for simpler loosening and tightening. Again all theoretical but wanting to try it even more now lol

Probably makes more sense in my head that trying to explain. If I get a chance to test it and if it works I will shoot a video to truly explain it.
If it hasn’t been mentioned moving your tether up while standing in the knaider would suck.

I did it tonight wasn’t that bad and I’m new to all of this. It may not be the most ideal way to climb but it is doable.

Basically one sticking without the benefit of multiple steps. I don’t have a WE step, but I have tried the same technique with my Predator platform. Only time I use this is if A) too many branches in the tree to get my throw line isolated in the target crotch or B) throw line gets stuck. I use my Petzl hand ascender with foot loop as my swaider on the rappel/tether which is placed as high as possible. I put my knaider on and catch the edge of the predator platform, step on the platform, and advance my tether/rappel line up again. I use a safeguard so I’m able to belay down to grab my predator platform if needed. With my hand ascender already used as my swaider, it’s easy to ascend back up and reconnect my Predator platform. Doable? Absolutely! Efficient? Debatable... I have an OOAL shikar stick with scout platform I’m going to try next.

Last edited:
Interesting concept, but I feel like it may take longer than just hanging a new step. I'll have to give it a try this weekend. It would for sure be best to rappel on the way down. I had a couple steps uncam on me this past season and trying to reset them was a pain when you're getting a bit over 5 ft per step using the knaider/swaider.

Interesting concept, but I feel like it may take longer than just hanging a new step. I'll have to give it a try this weekend. It would for sure be best to rappel on the way down. I had a couple steps uncam on me this past season and trying to reset them was a pain when you're getting a bit over 5 ft per step using the knaider/swaider.

I would absolutely agree with you. That’s why I use this as a backup to my primary method which is a throw line for SRT. I usually sit around 25-30ft in the tree, so taking extra steps in my pack is something I’m trying to avoid. I’ve drank the kool-aid on the ultralight setup.

So basically a “single stick” climb using the WE step with aiders. I think at this point might as well go with an actual stick and just rappel down. Going to have about the same amount of gear but the WE step comes with the added stress of having to cam it over each time vs strapping on a stick via cam cleat or buckle. Interesting concept none the less as I’m all about compact and getting away with as little equipment as possible. Just having owed the WE steps and now using the single stick/rappel method, think using the step is going to be a bigger headache than it’s worth for this method. But who knows, let us know how the climb goes.

Back