• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single step or double step sticks?

jedm

Im getting into saddle hunting and this will be my first deer season. I have a set of double step sticks that are 30"+ at 10 lbs. but I'm starting to consider a shorter stick for better packability. A decrease in weight would be great but not my main concern; just dont want to go up in weight. So, I was wondering if anyone who has had single and double steps had any preferences or thoughts to consider before I change up my setup. Thanks in advance!

DoubleSteps for sure! And I'm not even biased...Not even remotely...Nope...Ok, maybe a little.

Seriously though, now is a great time as there are a ton of options for both single and double steps. If you get a chance to attend a saddle demo day near you, that would be the best option so you can try them all out.

Doubles make hanging your next stick or platform a lot easier. A little more weight, but I prefer them.

Double steps for the win!

My lone wolf singles have been accumulating dust since I started using double steps (muddy pros and now shikars).

Go directly to the double steps. If you really, really want to experience the benefits of double steps, go single steps for a season and then migrate to double steps. It’ll be an expensive lesson, but you will firsthand experience why we are recommending going directly to double steps.

The EWO feather weight double steps stick with a webbing aider is great.
I haven’t used my lone wolf sticks for several years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
My first ever set of sticks were single step. Not knowing any better nor know what I was doing at the time, I almost gave up on climbing trees all together because of how uncomfortable I felt on them. Would have gone back to my climber since that’s all I knew at the time. But then tried a cheap set of double steps and that’s what I needed. All good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm gathering there's just a slight edge for the double steps over single steps. Part 2 then would be -- which ones? Hawk helium 20s? Spend a bit more and do shikaars? Other options I'm not aware of? Trying not to break the bank.

So I'm gathering there's just a slight edge for the double steps over single steps. Part 2 then would be -- which ones? Hawk helium 20s? Spend a bit more and do shikaars? Other options I'm not aware of? Trying not to break the bank.

IMO, spend the money on good ones. Buy once. Check out @DanO ultra-light sticks on doublesteps.com. Shikar sticks may have the edge in packability, but the EWO sticks are awesome! I just ordered and received a 24" with 22" spacing and then a custom sewn-in 2-step aider with 22" spacing.

IMO, spend the money on good ones. Buy once. Check out @DanO ultra-light sticks on doublesteps.com. Shikar sticks may have the edge in packability, but the EWO sticks are awesome! I just ordered and received a 24" with 22" spacing and then a custom sewn-in 2-step aider with 22" spacing.
2x

I bought the 24". Considering buying a 22" and a 20" for stacking, all with the 2-step 22" sewn-in aider.

I got the 20” black anodized one. Such a sweet stick. Really trying to stay committed to one sticking but I’m so tempted to just get another 2 or 3, cry about the $ and then be done with it. And I’ll have a sweet set of sticks that’ll hopefully last forever. I don’t know if I want to make the jump though.

Any love for hawk helium minis or better to go with something else?

I have the Hawk in both length and love them both. Only problem is deciding which ones to take. Think I will take 2 of the 30 inch and 3 of the 20's for a trial. The 30's would be the first two on the way up.

I first tried one sticking end of last season with a full length helium stick just to see if I would like it. It did work well. Only thing I didn’t care for was as I would maneuver back over to the stick and then climb, somehow I would always kick one or two steps shut at least once or twice in that cycle. Ended up having to watch where my foot would go before I committed. For this season, doing one stick, I bought a solid double step stick with no moving parts for that reason.

Back