• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sirius heavy bolts/arrows woot woot

Exhumis

SH Member
Seriously stoked for these. 11.6 gpi with a 110gr insert with 150gr broadhead gives me about a 462gr arrow. Started out with the Barnett headhunters and wasn’t that impressed. They got passthroughs but the fletching was obliterated on both and one is cracked. Wanted to pick up some of these anyway so that just gave me a reason. I’ve shot Sirius for a long time and was excited to see they offer us xbow folks an offering.
IMG_1037.png

Keep in mind that most crossbow companies' products are proprietary. :) Meaning, Barnett crossbows must use Barnett bolts, cables, nocks, etc. Likewise for me, having a Ravin R10 crossbow. This kinda sucks, because it's not like a compound bow, that we can use whatever brand of arrows, nocks, etc. to build what we want for arrows. :rolleyes:

I called Tech Support for Ravin and approached them with my idea of building a heavier bolt with high FOC, using weight tubes, etc. Oddly enough, they didn't "bulk" at the idea and said they have a 500 grain bolt offering. I mentioned adding weight tubes, 100 gr. brass inserts and a 150 gr. broadhead and the Tech guy thought it was a great idea. However, he did mention that it's going to effect the speed and trajectory. ;) I knew and expected that, but it's a possible build. :cool:

If I used one of their 500 gr. bolts, added a 5 grain per inch weight tube, a 100 gr. brass insert and a 150 grain broadhead, I could potentially have a 800+ grain bolt. Utilizing the power of the crossbow's ability, the penetration factor would be incredible!!!

I appreciate the word of caution however, the requirement Barnett has is that for the xp400 the arrow weight be at least 400gr. Of course they say you should shoot their arrows. There’s plenty of folks over at crossbownation that shoot different brands.

I appreciate the word of caution however, the requirement Barnett has is that for the xp400 the arrow weight be at least 400gr. Of course they say you should shoot their arrows. There’s plenty of folks over at crossbownation that shoot different brands.
Yes when I talked to Barnett on the phone (a thing I do whenever I buy a new piece of dangerous equipment) they recommended the arrow weight of 400+ grains AND recommended their HH bolts “because they start at 300grains so any head you put on it will get you to or past 400 total grains”. Didn’t say I couldn’t use other brands. Ravin might be different though, their everythings are proprietary from what I can glean from others’ experiences.

Keep in mind that most crossbow companies' products are proprietary. :) Meaning, Barnett crossbows must use Barnett bolts, cables, nocks, etc. Likewise for me, having a Ravin R10 crossbow. This kinda sucks, because it's not like a compound bow, that we can use whatever brand of arrows, nocks, etc. to build what we want for arrows. :rolleyes:

I called Tech Support for Ravin and approached them with my idea of building a heavier bolt with high FOC, using weight tubes, etc. Oddly enough, they didn't "bulk" at the idea and said they have a 500 grain bolt offering. I mentioned adding weight tubes, 100 gr. brass inserts and a 150 gr. broadhead and the Tech guy thought it was a great idea. However, he did mention that it's going to effect the speed and trajectory. ;) I knew and expected that, but it's a possible build. :cool:

If I used one of their 500 gr. bolts, added a 5 grain per inch weight tube, a 100 gr. brass insert and a 150 grain broadhead, I could potentially have a 800+ grain bolt. Utilizing the power of the crossbow's ability, the penetration factor would be incredible!!!
From what I understand, it's a question of nocks. Flat, half-moon, etc. Ravin has proprietary nocks so requires proprietary bolts. My KI, on the other hand, will accept any 20" bolt with half-moon nocks. That said, check your owner's manual.

From what I understand, it's a question of nocks. Flat, half-moon, etc. Ravin has proprietary nocks so requires proprietary bolts. My KI, on the other hand, will accept any 20" bolt with half-moon nocks. That said, check your owner's manual.
I'm inclined to agree with you about the nocks. I think everything else would work. :)

All I'd have to do is purchase some Ravin nocks and I'd be good to go with whatever bolt I'd want to build. Just the same, it's a good idea in theory, but I don't like my Ravin anyway and will only use it if I get injured and can't draw a vertical bow. I got it as a retirement gift and will end up using it some day as I get older. ;)

Good deal. If you're ever bored of those, there's a gentleman on crossbow nation that goes by WWB. Or AJs custom arrows. Makes absolutely superb Xbow arroes

Back