• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sisal Baler Twine for Presets

brydan

Anybody ever tried using sisal baler twine as an alternative to paracord for presets? I was in wally word the other day and saw a roll of sisal twine on the shelf and it got the wheels turning about an inexpensive biodegradeable option for public land presets. On public I hunt a lot of spots that may or may not get hunted again. It would be nice to leave a preset cord behind just in case but I'm not crazy about leaving paracord everywhere that may not get retrieved.

That WMart twine is way too weak. It said 8lb working load on the package for whatever that's worth :D. But I actually bought a roll and hung it in a couple trees just to see how long it lasts as a preset. Doing a little searching around and the industrial baler twine though goes from a tensile strength of 190lbs to 425lbs depending on the spec., that's getting to be a useable material. I haven't pulled the trigger on buying a roll yet to try it, was hoping to find some at a farm supply around here first to take a look at it. Any thoughts?

Keep us updated on your trial and error. Thank you in advance for any info!

I’m using just some standard polyester rope for a preset right now and it’s working good so far. It practically throw line is what it is it’s working ok so far for me.

I was thinking the twine wouldn’t make it through more than one or two summer scorchings…..but that seems to be the intended purpose. How’d it go?

I got busy at the time and never got around to it but it’s funny I had just put it on my order list a few weeks ago. I found some baler twine at a local farm supply, it wasn’t the strongest grade (I can’t remember off hand how they label it) but it was in the 250-300 lb ballpark as I recall and it was surprisingly robust. It was wound tight and about the diameter of paracord. You can tell it’s a natural fiber but completely different than the cheap garbage found at stores. From a weathering standpoint it would easily last a couple seasons. Animals chewing through it would be my concern

Like I mentioned in the OP, I’m not looking for a better functioning cord, there’s lots of cheap synthetic materials that work fine. Was wanting something that works well and will biodegrade if left in the woods.

I've had twine break on hay bales that were sitting outside for just a few months, so have my doubts about this as a preset.
What size twine were you using? I seem to remember there were several sizes available.

In my case I just need to pull up a throw line, doesn’t require too much strength.

Yeah I'm going to try rope climbing this year and am weighing my preset cord options. Paracord seems overkill, mason's twine seems better but is really stretchy (not sure if that's actually a problem) and in general leaving synthetic cords out in public woods doesn't sit great with me. Might try this baling twine but worried it'll have too much friction.

When I was doing DRT all the time and practicing around my yard I had several presets with bailing twine. It is the green twine that comes in spools. I bought a double roll years ago and it has been handy to have. That said, after about one season out in the elements it deteriorates to the point that about one out of 5 times it breaks from just the weight of the climbing line.

Electricians poly line works. As long as the surface isn't to ruff. I tossed some last summer in trees, and some more this spring. Once it starts to fray, replace it. It's strong, but the knot comes apart pretty easy. So tie it well. Pretty cheap when you look at the footage. If it starts to fray, replace it. It's just a matter of time. So I carried enough to go back up and down my trees when I went in case I had to replace it. At some point I hope to check a few trees it's been in for a year. I got some Paracord I was probably gonna replace then with. But if cheap and easy is the name of the game. It's a good choice.
It also can tangle up pretty easily. But for the price, just replace it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630-144241~2.png
    Screenshot_20230630-144241~2.png
    226.9 KB · Views: 4
What size twine were you using? I seem to remember there were several sizes available.

In my case I just need to pull up a throw line, doesn’t require too much strength.
no idea, they were haybales purchased to be used as liners for a racecourse in pittsburgh, so potentially cheap, im just thingking about the friction going over a limb etc. i hope it orks for you, but with how cheap paracord is i wouldn/t personally risk an annoying day (but i suck at throwing a throwball/ dont use a ton of presets, ymmv.)

Back