• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit Drag..... Rock climbing harness combo

Buckhorn70

SH Member
Ok.... So I am a tree saddle user and have been for a while. I do like to try new things and I see the Sit Drag has gained some traction from a lot of saddle hunters, so I ordered one last night. Question.....

I see some people are using a rock climbing harness in conjunction with the Sit Drag for extra safety. I like that idea. Which Rock Harness is the one to buy? Who uses one and what are your thoughts?

I don't want the added weight and I feel perfectly secure in mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2 im still tryin to cut weight and my saddles only 3.08 id hate to add the weight of all the new buckles and stuff
noxninja said:

suicyderider said:
x2 im still tryin to cut weight and my saddles only 3.08 id hate to add the weight of all the new buckles and stuff
noxninja said:

Same here. Heck I already took off the leg straps I had on my sit drag LOL

flinginairos said:
suicyderider said:
noxninja said:

Same here. Heck I already took off the leg straps I had on my sit drag LOL

I have used my modified sit drag all spring to prep well over 50 new trees. I have no complaints and no worries - and I was hanging in some pretty awkward positions to reach that one little fricken stick just out of my ***** reach.

Once again - to me climbing the tree is the most dangerous segment we do when we use sticks and a saddle. The keys for me are: 1) have a tight waist belt while climbing (and while sitting), 2) always keep a lineman's belt or tree tether engaged (yes even when crossing over limbs), 3) always keep your tether tight - at all times, and 4) ALWAYS replace your gear when worn and perform frequent inspections.

Practice doing these few things and the worst I believe most will ever encounter is being slammed into a tree if a step, platform breaks. With my eye level hook up it really is not that bad - just a modest bump into the tree. Now if a stick was to break while climbing, the lineman's belt will hurt more and there is always the danger of impaling oneself on the stick. it's just an assumed risk for those of us that do not use lifelines in semi-permanent trees (or don't have the gear/strength/desire to rope climb a tree) . I always figure I have much higher odds hitting black ice on the highway racing to my hunt location then I do falling from a tree. I wear a seat belt and have air bags to mitigate that risks to an acceptable level - same with climbing... good gear/routine to mitigate the risk.

I am glad I prepped and climbed so many trees this spring as it really got my technique honed in and muscle memory will serve me well this fall. I probably climbed 70+ trees and prepped at least 50+

Wow!! You have been busy!

Dave makin me look bad. I've done like....4. maybe 5. :lol: Most of my spots are run n' gun tho so I usually just have the tree picked out to hunt on the fly. That's awesome though Dave!

That's humping it, Sure enough.
I'll maybe do as many as five or six each weekend. A lot of mine already have steps in them. And I didn't get any new property to hunt. So I just add pre set steps in the area I'm already in. More oPtIons=good.

Shaun.

Been at it since Jan 1st.... works out to about ten to twelve per month... i usually get four or five per day... i Scout first, select trees and then come back to do prepping

DaveT1963 said:
I am glad I prepped and climbed so many trees this spring as it really got my technique honed in and muscle memory will serve me well this fall. I probably climbed 70+ trees and prepped at least 50+

Awesome work Dave! Its been a rough and busy year for me. I have a bunch of new spots that I scouted out over the winter that I would usually have prepped by now but I don't. I'm going to get them done in the next few weeks and I should be ok for fall still.

I am new to the saddle game and also in the market for a new Rock Climbing harness so I will be curious to see what brand/model everyone uses.... I hear alot about the Alpine BOD i think is the name of it? What is everyone using for a Rock Climbing harness???

Re: RE: Re: Sit Drag..... Rock climbing harness combo

sheaXPO said:
I am new to the saddle game and also in the market for a new Rock Climbing harness so I will be curious to see what brand/model everyone uses.... I hear alot about the Alpine BOD i think is the name of it? What is everyone using for a Rock Climbing harness???
That would be a good one to get if you're going in that direction (with a harness/sit drag). I think it's the one I have, but I've had it for quite some time and don't remember if it is that model or another

Shaun.

redsquirrel said:
DaveT1963 said:

Awesome work Dave! Its been a rough and busy year for me. I have a bunch of new spots that I scouted out over the winter that I would usually have prepped by now but I don't. I'm going to get them done in the next few weeks and I should be ok for fall still.

It is way easier once the kids are grown for sure :D This new puppy is putting a serious dent in my time afield until she is old enough to accompany me. Going to start running cameras starting next month so she should be able to come along for some of my trips. She is going to be introduced to my NuCanoe this weekend :lol: :lol: :lol:

I scout my trees out during turkey season...ain't no prepping since there ain't no cuttin allowed

DaveT1963 said:
redsquirrel said:
DaveT1963 said:

It is way easier once the kids are grown for sure :D This new puppy is putting a serious dent in my time afield until she is old enough to accompany me. Going to start running cameras starting next month so she should be able to come along for some of my trips. She is going to be introduced to my NuCanoe this weekend :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sounds like fun! Take pics!

Black diamond harness here. I like the comfort of the harness when climbing single stick or SRT. If you climb exclusively with spurs, it's easy to get comfortable climbing without leg straps if you take provisions to slow "the roll" if you spur out

I had a simple black diamond harness that I used for a couple years before it got stolen (along with my attached carabiners, lineman belt and Ropeman, grrrr) out of my garage. I bought a similar one to replace it. I've also used the Black Diamond BOD harness. I don't like that one as much, but it works.

I am sure this has been asked, but how do you use a lineman belt with a RC harness without side load barring connection points. I love the idea of going to the sit drag + RC harness.

I fashioned some loops out of tubular nylon climbing webbing from REI. Tie 2 loops, weave it through the gear hangers, and secure it however you can depending on your harness. It works great.

Back