• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit Drag Rock Harness setup

Limbbender

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I just got a Sit drag and a rock climbing harness. I see G2Outdoors reccomends using the harness in conjunction. That said...How do you stay connected with the harness once the brifge is hooked up? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HunterDaddy

Feb 12, 2018
Eau Claire, WI
I'm new to saddle hunting and have the same set up. You have to have two hook ups to your tether. The higher one will be for your bridge and the lower hooked to your rock harness. Once you're bridge is connected you can loosen the one connected to the harness so your weight is solely in the sit drag and you're more comfortable. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

skell

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 25, 2016
Iowa
Tether w/ 2 connection points. Mine has a Ropeman with a prusik further down the tag end. Ropeman connects to bridge. Prusik to RC harness. Look up the DIY Sportsman YouTube video on the DIY saddle setup. He does a good job of laying it out.

Limbbender

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, Ive watched it. I guess I am concerned about the tether breaking with no backup. Am I concerned for no reason or is there another way to do this?

skell

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 25, 2016
Iowa
That concern has crossed my mind....a couple of thoughts. What are you using for a tether? My rope is 11mm climbing rope. I gained a fair amount of confidence learning about climbing rope for starters. Then hanging low for starters to get used to the system. You quickly realize how unlikely a shock load on the rope is if you are mindful. While hunting, be mindful of movements of broadheads. And one of the biggest things IMO...know your gear. Inspect it everytime out. Anything out of the ordinary or not quite right...replace it.

Now I don't even think twice about the single line.

Reactions: Limbbender

Gr33n Arrow

May 10, 2015
Thanks, Ive watched it. I guess I am concerned about the tether breaking with no backup. Am I concerned for no reason or is there another way to do this?

Most tethers used are rated for rock climbing, and seeing that we, as saddle hunters, are always tied in with minimal slack, the risk of your tether breaking is minimal. Most are rated for several thousand pounds of force which we will never cause, being tied in as we are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
Tether w/ 2 connection points. Mine has a Ropeman with a prusik further down the tag end. Ropeman connects to bridge. Prusik to RC harness. Look up the DIY Sportsman YouTube video on the DIY saddle setup. He does a good job of laying it out.
I do the exact opposite, my ropeman hooks to my rock climbing harness and the prusik goes to my bridge. When I finish setting up the sit drag I just loosen the ropeman (in my case) and I'm good.

Couple safety notes, make sure you tie off the tag ends, make sure you tie the knots correctly, big thing on the lower tag end is to either tie the end into your lower biner or put a stopper knot so you don't slide off the end of the rope.

Most climbing accidents happen because folks make mistakes not because the rope fails. Google climbing rope tests the stuff is insane, my favorite was a guy that hit a rope with an axe on a log the tested the breaking strength, it was still an insane breaking strength.

I would stress to always make sure you hook up one before unhooking the other, ie. Tether to Lineman belt, or tether to rappel rope etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

skell

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 25, 2016
Iowa
Couple safety notes, make sure you tie off the tag ends, make sure you tie the knots correctly, big thing on the lower tag end is to either tie the end into your lower biner or put a stopper knot so you don't slide off the end of the rope.

Excellent points. My tether has spliced eyes on both ends. A small one on the tag end. It gets connected to the carabiner hooked to my RC harness.

Spending time on how to correctly tie your knot of choice is critical. There is plenty of reading material out there on how knots that are not properly dressed reduces strength.

Limbbender

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much for the replies! I guess I will be looking for some thicker rope for my tether. I'll also add a second prusic to hook my rock harness into. Heres to more research!

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
Thanks so much for the replies! I guess I will be looking for some thicker rope for my tether. I'll also add a second prusic to hook my rock harness into. Heres to more research!

11mm static line is pretty common but you can go smaller just make sure your ropeman of choice works on that rope size, some folks will use smaller than recommended rope on a ropeman and they say it works fine, I don't use anything that isn't recommended by the manufacturer, just doesn't seem worth it to me for a few oz.

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
Excellent points. My tether has spliced eyes on both ends. A small one on the tag end. It gets connected to the carabiner hooked to my RC harness.

Spending time on how to correctly tie your knot of choice is critical. There is plenty of reading material out there on how knots that are not properly dressed reduces strength.

Spliced static line, nice how did you do that? I've been thinking about getting one with sewn eyes to reduce bulk.

Definitely, practice is worth it, going through all of the motions saves time, plus you work out the kinks so you can do it quietly in the woods when it counts!

skell

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 25, 2016
Iowa
Spliced static line, nice how did you do that? I've been thinking about getting one with sewn eyes to reduce bulk.

Definitely, practice is worth it, going through all of the motions saves time, plus you work out the kinks so you can do it quietly in the woods when it counts!
It's Yale Bandit. Double braid. Was a pain in the rear....but the end product is nice.

I'm trying to talk myself into attempting to splice Predator...but discussion on here has me a little leary.

cozy23

Nov 3, 2016
I'll either hook both up to my tether or I'll leave my lineman's belt attached.

I even do this with my Web. Just hook up then loosen your LB. It still gives me full range of movement but gives me piece of mind in case my tether fails.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I do the exact opposite, my ropeman hooks to my rock climbing harness and the prusik goes to my bridge. When I finish setting up the sit drag I just loosen the ropeman (in my case) and I'm good.

Most climbing accidents happen because folks make mistakes not because the rope fails. Google climbing rope tests the stuff is insane, my favorite was a guy that hit a rope with an axe on a log the tested the breaking strength, it was still an insane breaking strength.

I would stress to always make sure you hook up one before unhooking the other, ie. Tether to Lineman belt, or tether to rappel rope etc.

I think you really should switch it around Donnie. The ropeman's aren't designed to fall on. If you switched it the ropeman would be your static attachment and the prussik would be more suitable to catch any fall.

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
I think you really should switch it around Donnie. The ropeman's aren't designed to fall on. If you switched it the ropeman would be your static attachment and the prussik would be more suitable to catch any fall.
I can't switch it because I use the XOP hand climber, I'm with you though, but I never really have slack enough for a dynamic fall, except maybe while climbing with my XOP hand climber and I just make an effort to keep the slack to a minimum or not at all. If I had the prusik below it would be a lot harder to climb with.

Also I keep my tether bottom end tied in, so the only way I would fall is if my ropeman cut the rope which I think is an absurd possibility with very low probability especially in the way we use them.

I don't think @bongo uses a ropeman so maybe there are other options that might be better for my application.

bongo

SH Member
Jan 26, 2015
N Ft Myers, Florida
I can't switch it because I use the XOP hand climber, I'm with you though, but I never really have slack enough for a dynamic fall, except maybe while climbing with my XOP hand climber and I just make an effort to keep the slack to a minimum or not at all. If I had the prusik below it would be a lot harder to climb with.

Also I keep my tether bottom end tied in, so the only way I would fall is if my ropeman cut the rope which I think is an absurd possibility with very low probability especially in the way we use them.

I don't think @bongo uses a ropeman so maybe there are other options that might be better for my application.

I’m using a Kong Duck on an 8mm tether no Prussik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
I’m using a Kong Duck on an 8mm tether no Prussia.

It looks very similar to the ropeman, am I missing something? It does have a wider rope diameter window which is nice, I'd like to go down to 8mm rope for everything that would certainly cut down on bulk, but if it ascends the same was as the ropeman won't it have the same potential for cutting the rope? Which for the record I think will never happen for our application, but I have to ask for safety's sake!

bongo

SH Member
Jan 26, 2015
N Ft Myers, Florida
It looks very similar to the ropeman, am I missing something? It does have a wider rope diameter window which is nice, I'd like to go down to 8mm rope for everything that would certainly cut down on bulk, but if it ascends the same was as the ropeman won't it have the same potential for cutting the rope? Which for the record I think will never happen for our application, but I have to ask for safety's sake!

Yes works the same. Never thought about it cutting the line. I’m not sure what line it is I had it on my leverage sticks. Bowhunter 15 put it on some sticks on YouTube and it was from REI. It has a tuff sheath on it not sure if that’s the right word but it’s stiffer than anything else I’ve used. I love it. It’s what I had at Saddlepalooza the Duck and the line work much better than the 11mm with the ropeman1 I was using before that.
I have 9mm for lineman’s belt with ropeman1 and it works good but I tried it for a tether and it jammed up the ropeman1. The Duck works great on the 8mm.

Last edited: