• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit Drag without RCH

PhilSch

I am new to the Saddle Game and am loving it. Lots of fun and I'm excited about the obvious advantages it brings to hunting effectiveness.

My setup consists of a nicely modified Sit Drag, RCH , 22" Heliums with 1/8" Amsteel Daisy Chain and Ridge Runner platform. I use a single 44" aider to get to approx 20' with 3 sticks. I am very comfortable at heights and climbing. My only problem is I find getting the lineman belt over the sticks very cumbersome. I have the lineman belt carabiners attached to the RCH belay loop which positions them close together above my crotch, putting the carabiners/belt very much in the way of the sticks. If I move the carabiners out to the bridge loops of the Sit Drag it is WAY easier to climb and descend as the lineman belt is spread out of way of the sticks.

I know there are guys that use the Sit Drag without a RCH but from what I have gathered most recommend using them together. I suppose an option could be to sew some strong loops on each side of the RCH for attaching the carabiners to.

Although I am a rookie I feel comfortable ditching the RCH but I don't want to add considerable risk either. I appreciate hearing perspectives from those that use both together or just the Sit Drag alone.

Thanks!!

Only you can determine the risk you will accept

I hunted with a linesman and a sitdrag for years. I have always felt 100% safe. Lots of guys use just a sitdrag.

You will not find anyone that will recommend you do it.
Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but what part about using the sitdrag to connect to your Lineman’s belt means you have to get rid of the RCH???

When I used a sitdrag I sewed a belt onto it which kept in place around my waist while I climbed with the LM belt attached to the sitdrag. All the while I had on my RCH and clipped the tag end of my tether into the RCH as a backup.

I am new to the Saddle Game and am loving it. Lots of fun and I'm excited about the obvious advantages it brings to hunting effectiveness.

My setup consists of a nicely modified Sit Drag, RCH , 22" Heliums with 1/8" Amsteel Daisy Chain and Ridge Runner platform. I use a single 44" aider to get to approx 20' with 3 sticks. I am very comfortable at heights and climbing. My only problem is I find getting the lineman belt over the sticks very cumbersome. I have the lineman belt carabiners attached to the RCH belay loop which positions them close together above my crotch, putting the carabiners/belt very much in the way of the sticks. If I move the carabiners out to the bridge loops of the Sit Drag it is WAY easier to climb and descend as the lineman belt is spread out of way of the sticks.

I know there are guys that use the Sit Drag without a RCH but from what I have gathered most recommend using them together. I suppose an option could be to sew some strong loops on each side of the RCH for attaching the carabiners to.

Although I am a rookie I feel comfortable ditching the RCH but I don't want to add considerable risk either. I appreciate hearing perspectives from those that use both together or just the Sit Drag alone.

Thanks!!
Have ever heard of Murphy's law!
what's your wellbeing is worth? Be safe while you are climbing!

Which RCH are you using? Mine does not have big loops but there are points to attach. Kind of like tight molle if that makes sense. If not then I’d probably attach to the belt.

This year I’ve sewn a belt into my SD and will connect the LM belt to the SD loops.

I to use my linemans belt on my sit drag loops with a belt and climbing rated buckle sewed to the sit drag. I do attach my tether to the RCH once I'm to hunting height.

Reading your various responses has helped me decide what to do. I will attach the lineman belt to the sit drag loops instead of the RCH belay loop when climbing. I will keep the RCH as a backup to my tether (tag end prusik) which I have been doing all along. So the only change is to switch the lineman belt carabiners from belay loop on RCH to sitdrag loops which makes getting up the sticks substantially easier. Thanks guys!

I had a RCH for short time and didn't like it with my sit-drag. It was way too bulky and heavy, so I ditched it and went with an old (but still in great shape) safety harness that has a dedicated lineman's belt. I don't use the tree tether loop, just the lineman's belt. I personally feel that leg straps are an important safety feature. When at hunting height, I clip in to my bridge and cinch my LB tight and clip and extra biner on to my LB as a backup to my sit-drag. This will also be my first year saddle hunting, so I'm definitely not an expert.

I had a RCH for short time and didn't like it with my sit-drag. It was way too bulky and heavy, so I ditched it and went with an old (but still in great shape) safety harness that has a dedicated lineman's belt. I don't use the tree tether loop, just the lineman's belt. I personally feel that leg straps are an important safety feature. When at hunting height, I clip in to my bridge and cinch my LB tight and clip and extra biner on to my LB as a backup to my sit-drag. This will also be my first year saddle hunting, so I'm definitely not an expert.

I did this until I ditched the harness for a linesman belt inside a battle belt. Total comfort.

I added webbing lineman's loops to my RCH. I don't trust the sit drag loops. Just a thought: can you keep the steps to your Helium's folded up until you get the lineman's belt past them? There shouldn't be much of an issue getting around the steps like that.

I added webbing lineman's loops to my RCH. I don't trust the sit drag loops. Just a thought: can you keep the steps to your Helium's folded up until you get the lineman's belt past them? There shouldn't be much of an issue getting around the steps like that.

What’s your bridge attached to if you don’t trust the sit drag loops?

I used a similar setup last year so I went to REI and bought some tubular webbing and a speedy stitcher. Put lineman loops on my RCH.

1c550bab5105b3eb197462add656ccc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Using the sit / drag loops is a better option than ditching the RCH altogether (IMHO). The Sit Drag loops will definitely hold the lineman's belt in position, it's just that if you lose your footing and are relying/hoping the LB catches you, the force applied to those loops may exceed their rating.

Another option would be to use the sit/drag loops for your lineman's belt but just attach a tether to your belay loop while you climb (move it up above your sticks). That way, if you fall, your tether and belay loop will catch you. This is probably the safest / easiest option to avoid your issue....

What’s your bridge attached to if you don’t trust the sit drag loops?
I don't trust my life to those loops. The rock climbing harness is for saving my life. I'm tethered to both when I'm at hunting height. I agree that the lineman's attached to the sit drag loops is better than nothing, but I'm not sure by how much.

Use 1” tubular webbing inside a sleeve of 2” tubular webbing around the waist of a misty mountain gym dandy harness.

b2abe877da924c70d19364750f78d569.file

Use 1” tubular webbing “tied” around waist belt of Couloir harness and run through waist.

1021ff26259515f400fa7edf7ce2efb9.file

Back