• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitdrag Harness Question (From Michigan)

Aksisu11

Vendor Rep
Hi guys! I'm very new to saddle hunting, like I just found out about it about a week ago. I have a public land Missouri trip coming up in the beginning of November, and I have been getting ready for the trip by doing a lot of hang and hunts here in Michigan where I'm from. I've been struggling with carrying tree stand, sticks, and a backpack on my back. I think the total weight was right around 35 lbs when measured the whole system. I'm a pretty fit person, as I played college football, but man I keep thinking about how the weight of this setup will limit where I can and can not go once I get down there. So here I am! Saddle hunting just seems like a perfect fit for me and what I'm trying to do. Yes, I'm a little overwhelmed when I look through this site, but I'm excited to start diving into this new hobby! With that being said I do have a quick question.

I've been looking for a saddle setup, but man those suckers are hard to find! Every place I look there's either nothing, or the saddle is 6 weeks out if I purchased it. Therefore I decided to go with a sitdrag setup. I've watched a lot of videos, and read a decent amount of DIY's about how to get it setup for saddle hunting. I bought every I think I need on Amazon yesterday, but the one thing I didn't buy was a rock harness. I choose not to buy this is because I have the muddy magnum pro body harness, which has lineman loops. Is it ok if I use the muddy harness in place of the rock harness?

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future, but i could use some help with this! Thanks everyone for the great information, and it seems like everyone is super friendly here. Eventually I plan on making my own saddle, with my father in-law. He works for a boat manufacture, and he has connections with the seamstress team, and he has access to all the material need to make a wicked saddle setup!

Welcome. Buy a harness. It’s not just about being in a harness it’s about the right harness. On the rock/arborist harnesses the hook up is right in front of you by your naval. This is essential so that you can use the harness as a backup for the sit drag. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy any of the rock harnesses will work but I’d recommend an arborist harness because it’ll already have the linesman hookups on it.

Welcome! I agree, you need the harness. I do not have a sit drag, but was researching it. Should something go wrong, the lineman's belt on your muddy harness may not stop you as it is not intended as a primary fall arrest. The only place on your muddy harness that is designed for primary fall arrest is the strap that connects on your back between your shoulders. Using this strap while in a harness would not be wise, as it would need to come over your shoulder by your neck to meet the tree. Could be catastrophic if something goes wrong.

Most guys on here will recommend using the sit drag in conjunction with a rock/arborist harness.

Welcome from Michigan! Check out "Black Diamond Alpine Bod" it's lightweight and around $40. Just like everything else; personal preference will be your guide.

Thanks for the responses! I will look into a cheap but very safe rock harness.
Check out Mad Rock Rock Climbing Harness. It is the one that I have been using going on two seasons now. Lightweight yet very secure!

Back