• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka Fanatic and base layer Questions

jhunter13

SH Member
Looking to upgrade my cold weather gear to something thinner than my Gander Mountain stuff and was thinking about the Sitka Fanatic line. I am in NEPA so late season can vary from below 0 to mid teens.

I tried on the fanatics bibs and coat today and realized my current stuff will be way too thick for multiple layers (Scentlok heavy base layers and Full Season Taktix Coat/pants).

What is everyone wearing for base layers underneath? And what temps are you hunting with those layers?

If your hunting similar temps and running a different brand that isnt bulky - what is it?

I use the cabelas E.C.W.C.S Thermal zone base layers coupled with the Sitka equinox pants for the walk in (0-20F) and then put the fanatic bibs and jacket on at the tree.

I use the cabelas E.C.W.C.S Thermal zone base layers coupled with the Sitka equinox pants for the walk in (0-20F) and then put the fanatic bibs and jacket on at the tree.
So single base layer top, base layer and pants bottom then sitka bibs/jacket?

Yes. Base layer top and bottoms. But I forgot to put that I wear the stratus vest on the walk in to stop the wind from cutting through.

Yes. Base layer top and bottoms. But I forgot to put that I wear the stratus vest on the walk in to stop the wind from cutting through.
Gotcha. Do you.wear it under the jacket as well?

Also, with the fit cut of the Sitka fanatic with two layers do you feel like its difficult to move around?

I have worn the base layer top and vest under the jacket without an issue and wouldn’t go any thicker in the arms.

With a base layer on and the fanatic jacket and bibs, what sort of temperature can you handle? I’ve been trying to find something for the late season myself. I live in NY near the PA line so temps can be 0-20 degrees here in the late season as well.

I run stratus bibs and the fanatic jacket down to 0, but I run warm, SW Michigan and the occasional jaunt to northern MI.

I use a merino base and usually some basic flannel/fleece pajama pants and I'm good. If it's really getting close to 0 I'll up the pants to heavier sweats or something similar. Personally, I didn't think it was worth buying the fanatic bibs for 1-2 sits a year, figured I could tough it out with the stratus. The jacket though is totally worth it and crazy warm, I honestly think that with the jacket/bibs I could run base layers and maybe a tshirt and be fine for 95% of my hunting.

For cold weather stand hunting in NEPA, personally, I'd spring for the Incinerator bibs. They compress for transport and are less bulky. They are a touch louder than the Fanatic bibs, but I don't find it to be an issue at all. I don't really like the exposed front zipper (no storm flap) but otherwise think the bibs are really quite well done.

The Sitka Core series base layers are fantastic. I've used other name brand base layers, and Sitka's are my favorite. But, you can get more economical base layers and be fine. If you are in a budget, spring for the outerwear. Frankly, if you can, wait for spring sales and you'll come out ahead. It's all pretty pricey.

In the teens I wear:

Sitka synthetic core base layer (not wool)
Heavyweight base layer pant
Fanatic hoody
Midi jacket
Fanatic bibs and jacket
Incinerator hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in northern MI and what I do with the Fanatic when it gets stupid cold and is above zero, is wear a thin layer of merino top and bottom followed by Cabela's fleece base layers (the green furry ones) and if it’s below zero I wear Cabela’s mid weight thermal base layers with the same furry fleece base layers over them. I run cold when the temps hit around freezing and below. You have to walk slow if you decide to wear all to your stand. Just unzip your legs from the top down and unzip your fanatic jacket and you’ll be fine. You shouldn’t be racing to your tree anyway.

So do you all feel this stuff keeps you pretty dang warm without much bulk underneath? I generally look like the Michelin man once I get to my tree in the late season.. and I’m trying to change that haha.

So do you all feel this stuff keeps you pretty dang warm without much bulk underneath? I generally look like the Michelin man once I get to my tree in the late season.. and I’m trying to change that haha.
^^^^^This is exactly what I am searching for.

That’s really too subjective to answer in my opinion. Even environmental details like humidity, average wind speed, etc. are at play.

From my own experience, the only thing that’s ever been cold while wearing the fanatic system is my feet. I’ve more/less solved that issue wearing trail running shoes or a very light hiker, arctic shield over boots, and hand warmers. I haven’t worn this system in temps below about 15F.

Any system that will keep you warm when it’s really cold is bulky relative to your early season gear. I think Sitka’s whitetail system is the best for bulk reduction but it’s a big difference compared to shooting in a t-shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back