• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka Gear

Jayo

I want to invest in a warm setup. I hunt in Wisconsin where temps can get chilly. I get cold easily. To the people that have experience with Sitka, what items are needed to complete the setup? Does the coat and bibs suffice? Or are you pairing them w/ their underlayers as well?
I've been looking at the Fanatic Jacket and Fanatic Bib. Both are spendy so want to make sure I do it right.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have the fantic lite set... Stratus set.. and the fantic heavyweight..

Each serves its purpose but I find my self waring the Stratus the most.

It has to be 30 or under to brake out the heavyweight.

The problem with the heavyweight it is so warm and if you have a long walk and you sweat your done when its that cold.. But I have set out in a blizzard with that stuff on and stayed good..

You always will need a layering system.. not only to help keep you warm but to protect you outer layer from you.. I wash my baselayers almost everytime I go out.. I only was my outer layers a couple times a year or when they get dirty.. I have a ozone closet that I keep them in and run the clothes through a cycle when I use them..

The fantic heavyweight is awsome and warm just have to be careful to not sweat in it.

For base layers i have the underarmour line. I have 2.0 the 3.0 and the 4.0. All depends on the temperature and how im hunting that day.. if I'm more mobile and its cold like 30 to 40. Ill run the 2.0 baselayer with my stratus out fit. If I'm setting and not so mobile ill run the 3 or 4.0 layers.

I've tried to set in a pop up blind when it was cold and snowing with my fantic heavyweight on and was so hot I had to take my jacket off. Hope this helps..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It’s not Sitka but plythal is similar and on camo fire often.

The Sitka gear is made to layer up. I wear the Merino base layer system and add to it.
I have the Equinox Midi Pant & Hoodie for early season and then layer them with the Fanatic Bib & Jacket + WS Beanie when the snow starts to fly.

Hope this helps a bit.

I bought a good amount of it this year and no complaints. I feel good when Im wearing it and as stated, its a layering system. The Stratus is the most versatile as its really more of a wind blocker. I also have the fanatic coat and bibs, but have yet to use them. Its cold enough now, just low desire to hunt.

Most will suggest the stratus, and it's hard to disagree with that. It's a great piece of gear, but I'm the opposite. If I know it's going to be below 40-45 degrees, I'm almost always taking the fanatic bibs with me. Occasionally I'll pair that with the stratus jacket and fanatic vest over it, but sometimes it's just easier to take the fanatic jacket.

The fanatic bibs seem to fit me better too. Like the pocket layout better than the stratus as well. I do tend to get colder quicker than most fwiw.

Either way, hard to go wrong.

Last edited:
I find myself in the fanatic set most often from November on. Everyone above is right, the fanatic is too warm to walk in wearing. I do wear the bibs and just open up the entire side zipper and take my time. I wear a lightweight merino base layer on top, fanatic hoody and then fanatic jacket most often. Occasionally I need to put something underneath the jacket like a vest, etc. Typically my bibs are over a mid-weight base layer when it's cold or a light weight pair if it's not too bad. I've had the stratus pants and sold them. Reason being, they don't have side zips that could help me vent when walking in. I could stay cooler by wearing fanatics and venting than wearing the stratus without a vent (I'm sure others would disagree). What I truly wish Sitka would do is put the wind blocker in the fanatic light set. Then I'd have a muff on a mid-weight jacket with the wind stopper. I know several guys that prefer the stratus and just really layer under to get into the cold temps that a fanatic would.

I have the fanatic light set and with layering, gets me through a majority of the season here in southern Wisco... when the temps drop, I have the Incinerator set and I don't think you will find a warmer set of clothes... bibs and jacket are like a puffy sleeping bag... way too hot to ever walk in/out with, but just regular base layers underneath. I do get cold feet, so I also lug in a setup of Ice Breakers boot blankets for the last few years. Wear uninsulated hiking boots in and throw then on at height. Plenty of room on the Mission platform for the franken-feet then as well!

Where you at in Wisconsin? I'm in the Slinger area. I have the fanatic series (not newest model) bibs (xl), jacket (xl), and vest (L). All are very warm and you can't walk in with them on... Or at least I can't.

If you're close by, you could stop over and try them on for sizing. Richfield Cabela's is pretty picked over for sizing on most hunting clothes right now. I'm sure most places are.

I'm actually thinking of making a clone of heater body suit (HBS) and an IWOM cross. If it works well, I'll probably sell the HBS at some point.

I think both the HBS and IWOM are going to keep you warmer than the fanatic series and are a bit cheaper. Either route though, I don't think you can go wrong for staying warm.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

As the others have stated sitka is meant to be used as a layering system. I use the equinox set for early season and transition to the stratus set for mid season. I only ever bust out the fanatic set for those real cold days (30s or lower).

If you're only going to be hunting when it's cold you can get by with the fanatic set. Just get a good generic merino base layer (I use meriwool), and then a cheap puffy jacket for your mid layer and you'll be good to go.

Sitka is not cheap, I had to build up my sets over time and buying some pieces second hand when I could. However, the gear so far has been tough as nails (especially the stratus set) and keeps me warm without looking like the Michelin Man.

I am a Sitka fan and I wear all of their top layers, depending on the weather. The Fanatic Jacket and Bibs are what I wear when it is in the 40's or colder. The colder it is the more layers that I have underneath. What I love about them is all of the pockets to store my gear. As others said they become very warm walking in. I pick my backpack based on being able to carry my jacket in/on my pack. Depending on the temp, is how much I will unzip the side zippers and for how long.

If it is over 40 then I wear the Fanatic Lite Jacket and Bibs, again with different layers underneath. The pockets are good, but they should be better like in the Fanatic system.

I also have some of there other Sitka gear that I use when spotting and stalking out west.

They are expensive, but worth every penny, in my humble view.

Back