• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka stratus bib alternative?

avgjoe

Looking for some bibs. Wearing my cheap wrangler pants with a merino baselayer isn't quiet enough on those cool mornings. Had the stratus bibs. Loved everything but the camo pattern. Have the FL Solitude bibs now. Great for later in the year, but a little too warm for the early/midseason. Requirements - quiet, full zip, moderate insulation, windproof would be a bonus. Don't even have to be camo. Any recommendations?

I have the FL Catalyst which work fine for all weather here in MN. When it's warm, wear them like normal pants. As it gets colder, switch from LW to HW thermals. Never had a problem with them.

I have the FL Catalyst which work fine for all weather here in MN. When it's warm, wear them like normal pants. As it gets colder, switch from LW to HW thermals. Never had a problem with them.
How do they fit? Looks like mixed reviews on the FL website concerning sizing.

Not bibs but the code of silence zone 7 stuff might work. I don’t have any experience with it but it seems to check a lot of boxes.

for many years I have used my rain bibs as an extra layer for when pants and thermals are not quite enough. The advantage is that they roll up and pack nice, windproof, and waterproof if it happens to rain. I feel like they get me an extra 10deg of temp drop before I break out the insulated bibs for the cold weather. I can wear my merino base layer, scentlok full season pants and rain bibs and be comfortable sitting in temps downs into the upper 20's.

Has anybody tried both the catalyst bibs and Kuiu attack pants? Temp ranges for both?

Has anybody tried both the catalyst bibs and Kuiu attack pants? Temp ranges for both?
I'll wear the catalyst bibs down into the mid 40s. Once there is sustained temps in the low 40s I need some extra insulation

Might also be worth considering the Thlete phantom set. Basically identical to the catalyst but it actually has a windproof membrane in it.

I have the Status and love them. Also have the scent lok uninsulated wind proof and they are very quiet.

How do they fit? Looks like mixed reviews on the FL website concerning sizing.
If you have a belly buy big.
Love mine, but made for moderately fit people.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

I second the Nat Gear. My base layers are FL but everything else is Natty

Looking for some bibs. Wearing my cheap wrangler pants with a merino baselayer isn't quiet enough on those cool mornings. Had the stratus bibs. Loved everything but the camo pattern. Have the FL Solitude bibs now. Great for later in the year, but a little too warm for the early/midseason. Requirements - quiet, full zip, moderate insulation, windproof would be a bonus. Don't even have to be camo. Any recommendations?
Not sure you will find a better choice than the Status gear. For me Camo color is irrelevant. I'd buy everything in solids if they gave me that choice.

Not sure you will find a better choice than the Status gear. For me Camo color is irrelevant. I'd buy everything in solids if they gave me that choice.

That’s what I’m afraid of. If the stratus bibs were offered in a solid, it would be a no brainer for me.

That’s what I’m afraid of. If the stratus bibs were offered in a solid, it would be a no brainer for me.
What is the hang up with EVII? Been hunting in it for a few years now and dont recall a single critter of any kind picking me unless I moved at the wrong time. I'm talking deer elk and turkey. That said I prefer Natural Gear or sitka open country just purely for the camo aspect so I get the eye preference of something else.

I would say when I first started buying Sitka the color threw me off however from a Deers perspective looking up through the trees and into the sky it makes sense. I would let go of your thoughts on the camo pattern. Is it the best for ground hunting I would say not so much but elevated yes

I can’t say enough great things about the Stratus set

What is the hang up with EVII? Been hunting in it for a few years now and dont recall a single critter of any kind picking me unless I moved at the wrong time. I'm talking deer elk and turkey. That said I prefer Natural Gear or sitka open country just purely for the camo aspect so I get the eye preference of something else.

I just don't love EVII. It looks blue to me....
That said, I have the stratus jacket and I couldn't bring myself to sell it when I got the First Lite solitude set. It's just so versatile.
Maybe I'm just asking the wrong question. I don't have to have bibs. Just looking for a pant that would work in that 40-60 degree range. I'm thinking a fleece lined pant with hip vents that I could wear with or without baselayers. Something like the Kuiu attack pant, but it just doesn't look like it would be that much warmer than my $20 wrangler pants. Anybody have any suggestions?

I just don't love EVII. It looks blue to me....
That said, I have the stratus jacket and I couldn't bring myself to sell it when I got the First Lite solitude set. It's just so versatile.
Maybe I'm just asking the wrong question. I don't have to have bibs. Just looking for a pant that would work in that 40-60 degree range. I'm thinking a fleece lined pant with hip vents that I could wear with or without baselayers. Something like the Kuiu attack pant, but it just doesn't look like it would be that much warmer than my $20 wrangler pants. Anybody have any suggestions?
Eddie Bauer fleece lined are awesome

Two, recs for nat gear, is thier stuff actually wind proof?

Back