• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka users

Anobody

SH Member
What your system? What temps?
I’m thinking of taking the plunge with base layer and looking for 90% system or kelvin for hunting into late November. I’ll take all opinions

If just starting out I would suggest stratus bibs and jacket. With the right layering you can get to temps in the 30’s and by itself temps in the upper 50’s. It should cover several months of season depending on where you hunt.

Once it gets colder than freezing I’ll wear a fanatic vest on top of stratus jacket and fanatic bibs. I also wear a Celsius midi jacket some too.

I’m in Arkansas so it’s hot a lot and I wear ascent pants early season with merino wool top.

Where are you located?

I almost never hunt in anything other than their ascent shirt/pants in Hawaii. The Ascent shirt is the lightest and fastest drying shirt I've ever owned and that includes non hunting athletic wear.

The ascent combination works great for early season hunts out west with maybe a vest, merino base layers and beanie for chilly mornings. I've had the same set of Sitka rain gear for more than 10 years. They don't make it anymore but it's similar to the dewpoint.

It got cold in western NC this November with a few damp mornings in the teens. For those hunts I wore:
-merino base layer
-core lightweight base
-Kelvin pant and vest
-Stratus jacket and bibs (older version, 2010)
-heavy fleece beanie
-hand muff

The trick to staying warm for me was to hike in with my ascent shirt/pants and change at the tree. Our property is in the mountains and there is virtually no way to get anywhere without sweating, even on cold mornings. This included a dry pair of socks. My lightweight clothing went into a gallon ziplock bag and into my pack.

On one very cold morning I added a Patagonia down jacket under my Kelvin vest. I was still a little cold that morning with a 20-30 mph NW wind.

I have the 90% and Fanatic jackets. I wear them from early season all the way until the end of Dec here in Minnesota. I get the most range from both by layering. Early I just use the 90% with a light baselayer. I'll use the 90% down to maybe the upper 40's, but I'll have on a heavier base layer and the zip out liner from my columbia jacket.

Below 40 it's the fanatic with varying base layers and the 90% jacket. During the cold I ususally walk out wearing a light base layer and the 90% jacket, then add as many other layers as needed under the fanatic.

I have a pretty full system but my go pieces are fanatic hoody, fanatic lite pants/jacket and fanatic vest. When it gets below 35 and windy I'll go full out fanatic but I like the lower bulk of the lite series and the vest helps when it's windy.
I have the equinox stuff but when it's warm I tend to just stay out of the woods, I sweat just brushing my teeth

I looked at Sitka's website and the 90 percent isn't there. I'm assuming it is no longer made? For early season I have scentlok savanna. I put base layers on from Cabela's and then the fanatic series when it gets cold. I'll probably grab either the fanatic hoodie or the heavy weight core from Sitka this year. I'll grab a piece or 2 each year until I think I have enough.

I think the stratus series would be a really good series to look at. The windblock would help with layers in cold weather and it is still light enough you could probably get by wearing it in warmer temps. Just a thought. Eventually I will look at the Sitka big game for early season white tail and when I go out for pronghorn in a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't do the whole system deal but I have some bits and pieces and I can't say anything bad about any Sitka I've ever owned. My favorite Sitka piece is the Incinerator hat that thing is the bee's knees. I also have the Kelvin lite primaloft puffy that I use regularly whitetail hunting. It's my favorite layering puffy, it's just the right warmth and doesn't suffer from compression as badly as down stuff I've used.

Stratus series with a Fanatic vest gets me through the entire PA season. Proper layers underneath (merino, puffys) and you're good for pretty much everything. I also wear the Fanatic hoody very often, and have the Equinox pants for early season and turkey season.

Yeah I don't do the whole system deal but I have some bits and pieces and I can't say anything bad about any Sitka I've ever owned. My favorite Sitka piece is the Incinerator hat that thing is the bee's knees. I also have the Kelvin lite primaloft puffy that I use regularly whitetail hunting. It's my favorite layering puffy, it's just the right warmth and doesn't suffer from compression as badly as down stuff I've used.

Looking to upgrade my puffy. Currently hoodless, but not opposed to a hood, I don't think. Do you like the Kelvin Lite's hood?

Looking to upgrade my puffy. Currently hoodless, but not opposed to a hood, I don't think. Do you like the Kelvin Lite's hood?

Mine does not have one. It's around 7 or 8 years old, so I'm sure the lineup has been upgraded in the meantime. Personally I would not want a hood on a puffy for whitetail layering. I never wear hoods in the tree unless it is raining. Don't like how it impedes peripheral vision and hearing.

Mine does not have one. It's around 7 or 8 years old, so I'm sure the lineup has been upgraded in the meantime. Personally I would not want a hood on a puffy for whitetail layering. I never wear hoods in the tree unless it is raining. Don't like how it impedes peripheral vision and hearing.

Gotcha. Current hoodless option now is the straight Kelvin. Also some options from their new Everyday lineup.

If your looking for layering pieces don't forget about backcountry and kuiu. Backcountry is always running sales and kuiu has stuff pop into their outlet every now then. Both are good quality options and will save you some $.

Stratus system for sure to start with. Fantatic hoody and shacket. Using these with merino base layers will get me good for 30-40. With sustained less than 30 I’ll use fantatic jacket and bibs. I alternate between shacket and fantatic vest. I’m in Mississippi and haven’t gotten fantatic bibs out in 2 seasons just because hasn’t been that cold. Awesome deals right now if you can find them on 2018 stuff

My first season using a Sitka system and cannot tell you how happy I am with this. I’m hunting in Texas so not extremely cold but we deal with a lot of temp fluctuations. I got tired of having multiple jackets and pants for early, mid, and late season for years. Here you may hunt 35 degrees in the am and deal with upper 60’s in the evening. My goal was to cover a wide range of temps and with a minimal amount of clothing.

I went with:
Stratus bibs and jacket
Merino light base top & bottom
Merino heavy base top & bottom
Fanatic hoody
Celsius midi jacket
ESW pants
Lightweight core hoody
Fanatic gloves
ESW gloves

I used the ESW pant and light core hoody during early season when the temps were in the 70s

Once the temps dropped in 60s the stratus bibs and the fanatic hoody were good with the light weight base layers. Just needed to unzip the bibs to vent some especially when walking in.

When windy or light rain the stratus jacket saved my hunt on many days.

I picked up the Celsius midi jacket to use as an extra insulation layer but this ended up being my go to jacket. Amazingly warm, light compact to stuff in backpack. All around just great to throw on top of the fanatic hoody.

Overall I couldn’t be more pleased. The only thing I wish I had was more of a medium weight pant. I don’t like that their system goes straight from ESW to Stratus or fanatic light. I wish there was a “in between pant” because there were times for me when the ESW pants were not enough but the stratus bibs were a bit too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first season using a Sitka system and cannot tell you how happy I am with this. I’m hunting in Texas so not extremely cold but we deal with a lot of temp fluctuations. I got tired of having multiple jackets and pants for early, mid, and late season for years. Here you may hunt 35 degrees in the am and deal with upper 60’s in the evening. My goal was to cover a wide range of temps and with a minimal amount of clothing.

I went with:
Stratus bibs and jacket
Merino light base top & bottom
Merino heavy base top & bottom
Fanatic hoody
Celsius midi jacket
ESW pants
Lightweight core hoody
Fanatic gloves
ESW gloves

I used the ESW pant and light core hoody during early season when the temps were in the 70s

Once the temps dropped in 60s the stratus bibs and the fanatic hoody were good with the light weight base layers. Just needed to unzip the bibs to vent some especially when walking in.

When windy or light rain the stratus jacket saved my hunt on many days.

I picked up the Celsius midi jacket to use as an extra insulation layer but this ended up being my go to jacket. Amazingly warm, light compact to stuff in backpack. All around just great to throw on top of the fanatic hoody.

Overall I couldn’t be more pleased. The only thing I wish I had was more of a medium weight pant. I don’t like that their system goes straight from ESW to Stratus or fanatic light. I wish there was a “in between pant” because there were times for me when the ESW pants were not enough but the stratus bibs were a bit too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try the equinox pants. Still great for early season and I just add a light weight layer under when it starts getting colder. Very comfortable pant with alot of stretch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If just starting out I would suggest stratus bibs and jacket. With the right layering you can get to temps in the 30’s and by itself temps in the upper 50’s. It should cover several months of season depending on where you hunt.

Once it gets colder than freezing I’ll wear a fanatic vest on top of stratus jacket and fanatic bibs. I also wear a Celsius midi jacket some too.

I’m in Arkansas so it’s hot a lot and I wear ascent pants early season with merino wool top.

This post hit the nail on the head. I've bought/sold a lot of pieces the last 3 seasons and think I've finally got my system pinned down and plan to do exactly this next year. I've got some additional gear for early season but going with the stratus set, celsius midi, fanatic vest will cover a giant range of the season.

Personally for base layers I'd go with Minus 33 or First Lite

Back