• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitters preference

CRogers

Well it's been 4 days since I received my saddle. I've spent a couple hours in it each day and I'm starting to get dialed in and find what's comfortable for me. I've been trying to decide whether I'm a leaner or a sitter and as of right now I prefer sitting. I'm currently using a ros. For those that prefer sitting over leaning have you found that a ros or pivot style platform accommodates you better? Thanks guys

My thighs are positioned about like you say yours are @Nutterbuster and I sit at about a 45. I'm still running my factory bridge and my tether about head high. Hate to really change either one of them because I have no complaints as far as comfort. I also feel very balanced for all my shot angles.

I started with a sit drag leaning. Once I got a kestrel I transitioned into sitting and then to a ring of steps. I like my predator platform. I may give it another go in combination with a couple steps on the strap. For me to sit on a pivot style platform I have to sit with my feet/knees/thighs squeezed together like I’m wearing a mini skirt. That my toes against the tree and my knees against the tree. For me it just nuts pressure on my knees in a way that isn’t comfortable. On a ring of steps I’m still sitting but less compacted. My feet are usually slightly to the side of the tree with my knees slightly turned in to contact the tree. I’m also in a lot higher seated position. My knees feel better my hips don’t hurt and I’m a much happier camper camper waiting on the first dumb deer to slip into bow range.
As far as shooting goes the platform is probably easiest to shoot from with the least amount of practice. You still need to practice extensively from ground level then again at hunting height. At least I have to. I’m fortunate enough to have plenty of opportunities but I’m not the lucky guy that makes a bad shot and hits the femoral artery and the deer piles up in 50 yards. I’m the guy that puts a 50 caliber hollow point through a deers lungs and thinks he missed after watch the deer disappear as it runs 80 yards(actually could see the blood trail from the stand). Heck I even made what I thought was a textbook quartering away shot and watched the arrow skip off the side of the deer. Anyway I try to do all I can to make sure things go right.

As far as shooting goes the platform is probably easiest to shoot from with the least amount of practice.
I would concur with this. It does take practice to get proficient from shooting from a ring of steps. But I find the advantages to be worth it. More comfort because of the reasons you mentioned, more versatility, and less weight to carry.

I started with a sit drag leaning. Once I got a kestrel I transitioned into sitting and then to a ring of steps. I like my predator platform. I may give it another go in combination with a couple steps on the strap. For me to sit on a pivot style platform I have to sit with my feet/knees/thighs squeezed together like I’m wearing a mini skirt. That my toes against the tree and my knees against the tree. For me it just nuts pressure on my knees in a way that isn’t comfortable. On a ring of steps I’m still sitting but less compacted. My feet are usually slightly to the side of the tree with my knees slightly turned in to contact the tree. I’m also in a lot higher seated position. My knees feel better my hips don’t hurt and I’m a much happier camper camper waiting on the first dumb deer to slip into bow range.
As far as shooting goes the platform is probably easiest to shoot from with the least amount of practice. You still need to practice extensively from ground level then again at hunting height. At least I have to. I’m fortunate enough to have plenty of opportunities but I’m not the lucky guy that makes a bad shot and hits the femoral artery and the deer piles up in 50 yards. I’m the guy that puts a 50 caliber hollow point through a deers lungs and thinks he missed after watch the deer disappear as it runs 80 yards(actually could see the blood trail from the stand). Heck I even made what I thought was a textbook quartering away shot and watched the arrow skip off the side of the deer. Anyway I try to do all I can to make sure things go right.
That's me too lol. I'm pretty much sitting exactly how you described you are.

Back