• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sizing for saddles

BigAl

I'm still running 04 trophyline ambush.....large pouches.....which I like. But. I'm expecting to upgrade soon. My question is......will getting a large size saddle to move the pouches towards the front so as to make them more useful while hunting be a negative for fit, comfort or what might be a negative to do so? I'm 36 waist so I'm in the middle of the pack of alot of saddle sizes but I like roominess and pouches forward. What say yes? Thanks for your input please!

It depends on the saddle manufacturer. Some saddles run “small” for the sizes they fit and just make the waist belt longer. Some saddles make the saddles pretty big if you’re on the lower end of the spectrum. Traditionally sizing up will add to comfort but the saddle needs to be able to snuggly fit your waist and legs to maintain safety. Also the bags bring forward makes them more easily accessible but you’re still reaching down and to the side. If I were going aerohunter for example, I would get the size 2 at your waist size. If I were getting Tethrd, I’d go large. For Cruzr, I’d stay in a size 2….. For CGM or Overwatch Id go for the bigger saddle. Lol so knowing the manufacturer you’re going to would help so that similarly sized guys can make recommendations for you

I kinda was thinking of the same things you mentioned....but I was hoping for some input from others that might have sized up. I wondered about if an upside is plum unwearable......I remember watching early YouTube videos of boswell in a trophyline that seems to swallow him whole and I really like pouches way forward while hunting. But I realize that walking in the saddle isn't the same with a belt that it it's like wearing suspenders. Also guys like compact to the body and I get that too. It's a trade off ....being used to large pouches...both sides....I carried lots of stuff there and not in a pack. Mine wasn't a sys hauler.....2 summit pouches. Absolutely love them on the side. But I'm probably going to have to forget that. Thanks!

Nothing says you have to put your pouches on your saddle. You could move them to a tool belt, wear it just above your saddle, and have them placed wherever you want. A 4-pack of belt keepers from a cop shop would tie the belt to your saddle when you want that.

Nothing says you have to put your pouches on your saddle. You could move them to a tool belt, wear it just above your saddle, and have them placed wherever you want. A 4-pack of belt keepers from a cop shop would tie the belt to your saddle when you want that.
I don’t know why I haven’t thought of that before. I’m adding a Dryad hammock to my saddle and have been debating how to carry the pouches with the climbing gear. A separate belt makes so much sense.

Back