• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Skylined?

Warthog HJ

I’ve just recently stumbled across the saddle hunting style and must say...I’m very intrigued. I love what I see as far as equipment and you all obviously are very passionate about this technique. The big question I have is...having been a hang and hunt guy for a long time, I always try to blend into tree branches with my set up. Most of the YouTube videos and pics I’ve seen of guys saddle hunting, it looks like you need a telephone pole type tree in order to get your tether set up and allow you to effectively maneuver around the type while clipped in. Branches look like they’d definitely get in the way for some shots. Also, hanging in a tree with no limbs around you, do you get skylined easily and stick out like a sore thumb to deer? Thanks in advance for in the input, I know you guys are going to educate me.

You can saddle hunt out of any tree that can hold your weight. Branches can be advantageous or in the way depending on the tree and how you set up. I really prefer forked trees for added cover and another place to hang gear. It isn't the saddle that dictates your tree its really your climbing system or your climbing techniques. I can one stick climb just about any tree. But even guys who use multiple sticks, SRT method, WE steps, etc can all climb any tree they want as well. As far as being skylined, saddle hunting is no different than hunting from a treestand in the sense that you should always seek cover but, in a saddle you have the advantage of facing the tree and keeping a tighter profile that an animal may over look. Two basic ways to keep from getting skylined are hunting no higher than a ridgetop and seeking trees with cover. In my opinion, there isn't a treestand out there that has a hunting advantage over a saddle.

I was skylined last time I killed a deer, actually shot at 3 and killed 2 does, They started out crossing the property line 30 yards from me going over a rise that put them almost at my level. 7 does/fawns never saw me and got out to 180 yards before I got my first shot. After shooting at two and dropping one of them, the deer regrouped and headed right back toward me, where I shot another one. There were still 5 deer within 50 yards while I packed up to climb down. Like I said I was skylined, had a few branches around but not many. The deer just don’t seem to notice me as easily in a saddle for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your main shooting area for a right handed shooter is to your left side. I set up with my left side where I anticipate the deer to be when I want to shoot. As far as cover, it’s just like a loc on, if you have cover on one side of you, chances are you won’t be able to shoot to that side of it is in the way of your bow. But if the cover is below you or higher than your bow, you have the option to walk around the tree. You will just learn how to position your ring of steps or platform to use the cover where needed to still be able to take the shots to the area you want. The more cover you have the less shooting windows you have, just like with everything else. Just with a saddle you have more freedom to duck and go around cover or lean out to open up more shooting windows.

Your main shooting area for a right handed shooter is to your left side. I set up with my left side where I anticipate the deer to be when I want to shoot. As far as cover, it’s just like a loc on, if you have cover on one side of you, chances are you won’t be able to shoot to that side of it is in the way of your bow. But if the cover is below you or higher than your bow, you have the option to walk around the tree. You will just learn how to position your ring of steps or platform to use the cover where needed to still be able to take the shots to the area you want. The more cover you have the less shooting windows you have, just like with everything else. Just with a saddle you have more freedom to duck and go around cover or lean out to open up more shooting windows.
I still like trees with some branches for cover just like in a hang on. If there are none, that's ok with me too. I had a buck check me out while in the leaning position this season and I was pretty skylined. He didn't spook at all. I also blame my ASAT 3D leafy suit for that. The other huge advantage is being able to stand on your platform and be right against your tree or sit in your saddle with your knees on the tree or straddling the tree. You blend right in. I got busted zero times this season due to being seen. Definitely got winded a time or two.

This season I’ve hunted trees so big I can’t put my arms around them and also trees that were just barely big enough for my WE steps. Straight, crooked, limbs, no limbs, etc the saddle does well in all of them. The only times I’ve been “busted” is when I’ve been moving more than I should. I’ve had doe come in and bed 15 yards from me while I’ve been in a tree with no branches or cover.

If you can hang a lockon on a tree then you can hang a saddle on it. The big advantage is hanging on the opposite side of the trunk. That’s your cover even if there’s no leaves or limbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can honestly say i have never been skylined yet by a deer yet and rarely get over 15 ft due to the trees in my area. I am also a firm believer in staying as still as possible and always try to think about where deer are likely to come from and put the tree between me and them.

Saddle hunting will make you into a straight up predator instead of the norm of hunting trees.

You can set up in most any tree, and use as much or as little cover as desired. You can also hide behind the tree sometimes.

It has a lot to do with your set up. I want to be 6 o'clock behind the tree watching the direction i think deer will be coming from. I'm a lefty so I wait for the passing shot off to my right,3-5 o'clock. Now we know deer always come from the direction your not ready for. I had a nice buck this year come off his bed to my 9-10 o'clock, about 70-80 yds. I moved around the tree to 3 and called him up the hill. If I would have been stuck on a tree stand I would have played the deer coming straight in, am I silhouetted, as he's looking up the hill, coming dead in on my call, praying my camo blends me well enough so as not to cause him any alarm game. Instead I'm safely behind that big ol oak trunk, and when he passed I drew to my 5:30ish o'clock position and caught him going away at 11 yds. Done deal. Thank you tree saddle.

0bedf6eef11de40dbdc3178c7bf6380c.jpg

20f24c36235006cb9e8727d84b681c81.jpg

No that's what I'm talking about!! More freedom! With a rock harness and a lone wolf, I could shoot pretty much anywhere, even facing the tree. But now I'll be more comfortable and can place the platform ANYWHERE I need it to be.

I’ve just recently stumbled across the saddle hunting style and must say...I’m very intrigued. I love what I see as far as equipment and you all obviously are very passionate about this technique. The big question I have is...having been a hang and hunt guy for a long time, I always try to blend into tree branches with my set up. Most of the YouTube videos and pics I’ve seen of guys saddle hunting, it looks like you need a telephone pole type tree in order to get your tether set up and allow you to effectively maneuver around the type while clipped in. Branches look like they’d definitely get in the way for some shots. Also, hanging in a tree with no limbs around you, do you get skylined easily and stick out like a sore thumb to deer? Thanks in advance for in the input, I know you guys are going to educate me.

A lot of shots do seem to show the telephone type tree for some reason. However I know personally I hunted a ton of leaning trees and up above branches that helped conceal me. Branches got in the way when I hung a stand as well, it's going to happen. I actually found the saddle set up let me adjust a bit easier to deal with shooting lanes. My buck this year was from a leaning tree and I think I went around 4 branches on my way up. I imagine the profile a person sitting would be more conspicuous than a person in a saddle.

Back