• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Slow learner I guess

ssramage

Apr 26, 2020
Saint Simons Island, GA
Last year about this time I bought a Mantis saddle set up and used it some over the summer, but ultimately sold it because I hunt 99% private land with my kids and didn't think I'd use it much. Honestly not much has changed except I used my trusty climber for a weeklong public land hunt last year and hated it. I found some public land spots while turkey hunting this season that are LONG walks and really have no interest in carrying my climber all the way back there.

I sprung for the Phantom and XL Predator platform last night while they had the sale going on.

I guess we'll see if I stick with it this time... I keep coming back to it because the concept is great and I can see the practicality even on the private land I hunt (when I get to go solo).

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
I've seen a lot of guys mention using the saddle as being really helpful when hunting with their kids as they can set the kids up in a fixed stand and then hang right behind them on the tree. It keeps you close enough to give some proper direction without being in the way. I seem to remember @redsquirrel mentioned his dad did that with him and that's what got him started with saddle hunting. I've also seen @DanO post pics of him and his daughter hanging facing each other in the same tree, each one covering an opposite side.

ssramage

Apr 26, 2020
Saint Simons Island, GA
I've seen a lot of guys mention using the saddle as being really helpful when hunting with their kids as they can set the kids up in a fixed stand and then hang right behind them on the tree. It keeps you close enough to give some proper direction without being in the way. I seem to remember @redsquirrel mentioned his dad did that with him and that's what got him started with saddle hunting. I've also seen @DanO post pics of him and his daughter hanging facing each other in the same tree, each one covering an opposite side.

I could see that with my older son (he'll be 8 this year), but most of my lease is set up with tower stands for rifle hunting. I've found a few tucked away places that I want to hit during bow season before the pressure picks up out there and I think that'll be where the saddle gets used the most.

With 3 young kids at home, my solo hunting time is pretty limited, but when I do get to go, I plan to use the saddle.