• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Slow start to 2023 season

ThePennsylvanian

I have a thousand excuses as to why my season started out the way it did. I was deployed again until September and procrastination lead to me not getting any scouting done or having any cameras hung. This lead to me not seeing a deer from the stand from September 16th until October 28th. Not to mention that it was only 3 sits in that time-frame due to all the commitments with kids sports and such. Only one day a week free. On my fourth sit I decide to try some new spots that I'd been meaning to get into for a couple seasons, man did that pay off. Saw close to 40 deer that evening, 6 buck 4 racked bucks, watched big nanny doe absolutely knock the snot out of a 1yo buck that just wouldn't leave her alone, he walked off that powerline line a scolded puppy. Anyway, a decent WV 8pt slipped up and walked right to me, only 8 or so steps when I shot. He didn't make it 60 yards.
Sorry about the blood, I'm not really good at the grip and grin stuff.....

I didn't hunt again until the following Wednesday, woke up to snow on the ground, so I immediately called off and went back across the state line. Went to a different WMA this time, it's one where I generally do well during rifle season. With the cold temps and snow falling I had deer moving literally all day. I was prepared to sit all day. I saw 6 buck all pushing doe plus 20 plus additional doe throughout the morning. I had this fella roll through at 1:15 cruising the back of a ridge heading towards doe bedding.

I have a thousand excuses as to why my season started out the way it did. I was deployed again until September and procrastination lead to me not getting any scouting done or having any cameras hung. This lead to me not seeing a deer from the stand from September 16th until October 28th. Not to mention that it was only 3 sits in that time-frame due to all the commitments with kids sports and such. Only one day a week free. On my fourth sit I decide to try some new spots that I'd been meaning to get into for a couple seasons, man did that pay off. Saw close to 40 deer that evening, 6 buck 4 racked bucks, watched big nanny doe absolutely knock the snot out of a 1yo buck that just wouldn't leave her alone, he walked off that powerline line a scolded puppy. Anyway, a decent WV 8pt slipped up and walked right to me, only 8 or so steps when I shot. He didn't make it 60 yards.
Sorry about the blood, I'm not really good at the grip and grin stuff.....

I didn't hunt again until the following Wednesday, woke up to snow on the ground, so I immediately called off and went back across the state line. Went to a different WMA this time, it's one where I generally do well during rifle season. With the cold temps and snow falling I had deer moving literally all day. I was prepared to sit all day. I saw 6 buck all pushing doe plus 20 plus additional doe throughout the morning. I had this fella roll through at 1:15 cruising the back of a ridge heading towards doe bedding.

Great stuff, congrats!
Never apologize for blood in a trophy pic. I don’t care what social media tells you, if it’s part of hunting you should keep it in the pic. Besides, we all are looking for the shot placement anyway :sunglasses:.
Awesome deer man.

Back