• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Slug Suggestions

Nutterbuster

SH Member
After a couple of years of mixed results with my muzzleloader, I'm retiring it in favor of a shotgun with sabot slugs on properties that don't allow the aught-six. Specifically, a Mossberg 500 with the cantilever Slugster barrel topped with the Burris FastFire 3 my mini usually wears. I figure I'm trading long range accuracy for follow-up shots and the convenience of loads I don't have to build myself one-at-a-time. Sounds fair, since maybe 3 out of 60 something deer I've killed was shot beyond 50 yards.

Looking to buy 3-4 different types and see which ones shoots the best, and then buy 2-3 more boxes of that slug. Accepting recommendations. Definitely want to stick with 2 3/4 loads. Preference for copper bullets and big-box availability. Refuse to shoot anything with "zombie" in the name.

The 1oz Herters from Cabela’s shot best out of my Winchester 120 slug barrel.

Is your barrel rifled or smooth bore?

If you have a rifled barrel go with a sabot style slug. Otherwise, “Foster Style” rifled slugs are great and much more cost effective. Make sure your barrel has an IC choke but you n reality, Fosters are malleable enough to shoot out of even full choke barrels. Some guys I know find them shooting better or worse out of modified choke barrels. I’ve always had decent success defined as 3-4” groups at 75 yards with open sights with IC choked smoothbores shooting fosters. I also have an 1187 with a rifled choke tube and it likes regular ‘ole fosters. It grouped the slighly larger diameter Winchester fosters better than the Remingtons which I’ve found are slightly smaller in overall diameter.

The Federal Powershok 1oz Rifled slug shoots cloverleaf out of my Stoegar M3000 with a rifled choke at 50 yards. It’s around a 2” gun at 100. The hogs I’ve shot with it has all crumpled upon impact.

I realize this is more costly, but I have to recommend the woodman arms muzzleloader. For many of us muzzle season is some of the best hunting conditions. They don’t require much cleaning, are accurate and are priced reasonably for a made in the US precision tool.

Lightfield slugs when I was shooting a 12 gauge. Every trigger pull there has been a dead deer on the other end.

Awesome ammo, but hard to get now. I think they stopped manufacturing.

I realize this is more costly, but I have to recommend the woodman arms muzzleloader. For many of us muzzle season is some of the best hunting conditions. They don’t require much cleaning, are accurate and are priced reasonably for a made in the US precision tool.
I really, really, really want to get one of these.

The Federal Powershok 1oz Rifled slug shoots cloverleaf out of my Stoegar M3000 with a rifled choke at 50 yards. It’s around a 2” gun at 100. The hogs I’ve shot with it has all crumpled upon impact.
I’ve never been able to get Federals to shoot great out of my 12’s. However the A5 16 loves the purple Federals.

In my 500 and 870, the brenneke rotweill and K.O shot better than rifled slugs for me.

Well I may be in the market for a boomstick so…..

They did. Dad and I bought up every shell we could once we heard.

Those things hit like a truck on both ends.
Hate to hear that. I haven't shot it in a few years so I was unaware. Sorry for the bad recommendation Nutter.

Brenneke slugs have always been my favorite. That said I’ve only used them in .410.

I shoot Hornady SST Sabot slugs with my Mossberg 500 using the rifled barrel. They've always shot super accurate for me out to 100 yards. Never shot farther than that at the range, but in MI don't really need to that often.

These prices from BassPro/Cabela's are kind of crazy, saw them for $10 at Dunhams the other day.

1698247489174.png

I shoot Hornady SST Sabot slugs with my Mossberg 500 using the rifled barrel. They've always shot super accurate for me out to 100 yards. Never shot farther than that at the range, but in MI don't really need to that often.

These prices from BassPro/Cabela's are kind of crazy, saw them for $10 at Dunhams the other day.

View attachment 93566
This was all my local shop had in the way of sabot slugs. Since we shoot the same gun/barrel, I'm hoping they work well.

Also hoping my boresight is good. Really don't wanna shoot more of these things than I have to at paper.

I've had good luck with Remington sabots out to 200yd out of a 12ga 870. I wouldn't trust a Forster slug past 75yd. Never messed with Brennekes, but I've heard good things about them. You might need to compare a couple of different sabot slugs against each other before you know which one your boomstick likes best.

If you want a dedicated slug gun, I really, really like the looks of those Savage turnbolts. If I lived in southern MN - in the shotgun-only zones - I'd have one of those instead of the rifled barrel on my 870.

Back