• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Small Carabiner Recommendation

reggoh75

I'm in need of some small lightweight mini carabiners for my paracord pull down rope. It's a little difficult to determine sizing from online pictures and hard to determine the difference in the Chinese junk. I have been using some of the cheap Chinese keychain type but they aren't very durable and I want something with a little more quality. I am thinking something about 2" or 3" maybe? I was looking at Black Diamond Miniwire Carabiner but I can't seem to find the dimensions online.

I don't use a carabiner anymore. I tie my paracord pull down line to the loop on my climbing line and leave it there. Nothing to attach or detach. Sometimes a little tangle but not bad. I used the figure 8 wind on your hand tieup method last night afte hunting when packing up to see how it works. My paracord is still attached to the climbing loop out in my truck. I haven't untied it in months.

Might save your life in a pinch too.

I use sleep ez hooks from fntpost.com. I'd get the extra large size. I use them mainly for securing coyote traps. They're screw type beeners

Might save your life in a pinch too.
I like to carry a few extra carabiners, just in case I screw up. :mask:

I don't use a carabiner anymore. I tie my paracord pull down line to the loop on my climbing line and leave it there. Nothing to attach or detach. Sometimes a little tangle but not bad. I used the figure 8 wind on your hand tieup method last night afte hunting when packing up to see how it works. My paracord is still attached to the climbing loop out in my truck. I haven't untied it in months.

I usually keep my pull up rope in my dump pouch and attach it to my bow and a molle loop on my saddle as I climb up.
After I get my bow up I roll it back up until I am ready to rappel down.
I use the same cord attached to my bow and rappel line loop... lower the bow and then use it to pull my line down.
That is another reason I prefer a little stronger carabiner than those cheap ones.

I'll take a look at the Nano 22... thanks!

I don’t use a carabiner on my pull up rope, I just have a loop tied on the end. Run it through my top cam and then loop it over my stabilizer. Has never came off my bow and let’s me take my bow off pretty quick

I usually keep my pull up rope in my dump pouch and attach it to my bow and a molle loop on my saddle as I climb up.
After I get my bow up I roll it back up until I am ready to rappel down.
I use the same cord attached to my bow and rappel line loop... lower the bow and then use it to pull my line down.
That is another reason I prefer a little stronger carabiner than those cheap ones.

I'll take a look at the Nano 22... thanks!
I just thought I would suggest the no carabiner method. Since I have started doing it my system is a bit simpler.
1. Paracord for rope pull down line and pack pull up line.
2. Tail of climbing line for bow pull up line.

In 6 hunts I forgot to attach 3 times, and broke the carabiner one for a total of 4 times I had to go back up the tree after taking sticks down.

I carry a couple of edelrid nineteen G. Or if you're up for slightly larger with locking, grivel plume k3g

In 6 hunts I forgot to attach 3 times, and broke the carabiner one for a total of 4 times I had to go back up the tree after taking sticks down.

This problem arose from my last hunt.

When I got to my hunting height and got everything settled I reached around back for the cord to pull up my bow and the little cheap carabiner had come off during my climb. I used my rappel rope and my quick link with the gate fully open to snag my bow string and pull it up. At least I didn't have to climb back down.

Back